Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I was told to never buy shoes at a resale shop because theyhave been broken in to fit someone elses foot configuration (pressure points, etc). Other than that, we definitely use Goodwill. My son-in-law is a welder that goes through at least a pair of jeans a month. He'd go broke if he didn't buy them at Goodwill for a couple of dollars.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't hesitate to buy shoes at thrift stores; I don't think right now I have anything but thrift store/garage sale shoes. I look for like new with not wear on heals etc. I regularly find sneakers that look brand new.

A couple of weeks ago I snagged 4 pairs of the same sneaker for my brother. The store was having 1/2 off and they were $4/pair. For $16 he is set for a while. I think they were donations from a store.
Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
A couple of weeks ago I snagged 4 pairs of the same sneaker for my brother. The store was having 1/2 off and they were $4/pair. For $16 he is set for a while. I think they were donations from a store.
My kid bought a nice pair of boots for $5 and they were brand new. The soles were a foam-like material that would quickly show wear if worn, but these were brand new looking.

I asked the workers at our thrift shop about some of the stuff and they confirmed they do get donations of brand new stuff from stores. We bought a battery powered 4 wheeler for $25 and it was one of those brand new items.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I am convinced that we have bought things from re-sale shops used them for a month or 2 then re-donated them to same or different store. Hmmmmm can i take the write off at 15 bucks per "its deductible" if I only paid 4 bucks for it?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I don't even care about getting a receipt or writing it off. I just want to dump it all off, and be done with it so I can hit the road.
The easiest way out is then call an auctioneer and say "Make it all go away". No work for you and you'll even get a little bit of money for it.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My kid bought a nice pair of boots for $5 and they were brand new. The soles were a foam-like material that would quickly show wear if worn, but these were brand new looking.

I asked the workers at our thrift shop about some of the stuff and they confirmed they do get donations of brand new stuff from stores. We bought a battery powered 4 wheeler for $25 and it was one of those brand new items.
OK, brand new or almost new shoes are a different story.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been buying most of my clothes from thrift stores for years. As someone said, much of the stuff there is in excellent shape, and you can't beat the price. I also get other things occasionally from thrift stores.......kitchen tools, other tools, bed linens, lamps, etc, etc.. I occasionally find something at a thrift store that is such a good deal it's hard to believe. For example, I bought a nearly-new Columbia fall jacket a while back for 4 bucks! I routinely buy nice mens shorts, almost like new, for 50 cents. I will never pay retail prices for most clothes again.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Just went by Goodwill today. I had read on some facebook groups that resell items on Ebay, etc. that Goodwill ( as opposed to Salvation Army and others) have recently increased pricing on their items - especially clothing. Well, I was shocked. They wanted 10 to 20 dollars for some items because they perceived the label as being high end. But the items were worn looking and a mess. And I was thinking that the people that need clothing at lower prices, would never be able to afford to shop here. Some brands that you can get at Ross or other discount stores at a better price and its not used! I was fairly shocked.

I have started selling a few items on Ebay and Etsy to help make nest egg last and keeps me active. I've collected vintage items as a hobby most of my life. It can be lucrative but also frustrating if you guess wrong on what has resale value.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Goodwill might be a good place to buy used items inexpensively, but it's incorrect to consider them to be a charitable organization.
Highly paid executive and extremely low wages for employees.

Goodwill pays disabled workers pennies an hour- MSN Money

I'll do my buying at other thrift shops.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Purchased a sectional couch for a family member yesterday. It wasn't Goodwill but another charity that provides assistance to the homeless. Their selection ran a pretty wide range. The store was clean and well organized. I'd go back again.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I'm in the market for an old plaid suit coat - must be very visibly plaid. My son has his first professional lead in a musical, and the musical is 'Forever Plaid' lol. I want to wear the jacket opening night *grin*. Figured the local Goodwill might be an option...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Also check EBay. Sounds like you have a fun night coming up!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Purchased a sectional couch for a family member yesterday. It wasn't Goodwill but another charity that provides assistance to the homeless. Their selection ran a pretty wide range. The store was clean and well organized. I'd go back again.
Forgot to mention we bought a couch and armchair from the thrift store during college. The couch got catified and we tossed it out, but the armchair, though somewhat catified (torn up on one arm), is mostly intact and serves as my "escape from the kids" reading chair. $20 for the chair, $50 for the couch.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Goodwill might be a good place to buy used items inexpensively, but it's incorrect to consider them to be a charitable organization.
Highly paid executive and extremely low wages for employees.

Goodwill pays disabled workers pennies an hour- MSN Money

I'll do my buying at other thrift shops.
Thanks for the Goodwill link. I do try to buy items where the money really goes to people who need it.

DH and I went to a local thrift shop over the weekend. This place had a very small store that was mostly clothes and a huge back room with not for sale inventory and an outdoor area 4 times the size of the store, plus a truck all filled with furniture and televisions. We asked about a table out back and they said it was not for sale. I think a real charity would be happy to make a sale and just put a price on it. It was obvious most of the items in back were never going to make it to the store. Logistically it was simply impossible. And why all the electronics in back and not a single high ticket item in the store over the first day of a busy shopping weekend?

Most charity shops we've been to in our area are not like that. The next place we went to was Junior League type volunteers, no weird vibes and nothing seemed unusual at all. But I do wonder where most of the profits from the donations from the first store ended up.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #54

Recent thrift shop buy was two LL Bean XLT short sleeve shirts like new for two bucks each. I have no idea why someone would get rid of an LL Bean shirt when you can send it back for a new one, no questions asked. (you pay postage)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I have no idea why someone would get rid of an LL Bean shirt when you can send it back for a new one, no questions asked. (you pay postage)
For instance if the Next of Kin prefers not to get that involved.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

DH and I went to a local thrift shop over the weekend. This place had a very small store that was mostly clothes and a huge back room with not for sale inventory and an outdoor area 4 times the size of the store, plus a truck all filled with furniture and televisions. We asked about a table out back and they said it was not for sale. I think a real charity would be happy to make a sale and just put a price on it. It was obvious most of the items in back were never going to make it to the store. Logistically it was simply impossible. And why all the electronics in back and not a single high ticket item in the store over the first day of a busy shopping weekend?
There are "for-profit" thrift stores out there - sounds like this might have been one of them.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
There are "for-profit" thrift stores out there - sounds like this might have been one of them.
It is supposed to be for the benefit of a local charity.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote