Join Early Retirement Today

Purging the house
Old 06-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Purging the house

DH is due to retire in 2-3 years, so I’m giving myself that timeframe to purge my house. I’m something of a hoarder, so this will be a Herculean task.
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every week fill the trash cans. You'll make tremendous progress if you stick with it.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I was headed in a general declutter direction but with the current pandemic have kicked it into overdrive. Filling trash bin every day, trips to Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity, digitalizing photos and certificates, distributing family memorabilia to kids, ect...

Have read a couple books and watch YouTube vids for inspiration.

Someone’s going to have to do it. Might as well be me while we are in hunker down mode.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Purging the house
Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Purging the house

Watch an episode of Hoarders, it really motivates me.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
Every week fill the trash cans. You'll make tremendous progress if you stick with it.
Yep. We (mostly me - DW was still working) did this along with donating and giving away household items over a two year period after our kid moved to another state. It didn't seem to make much of a difference until after the first six months when we noticed the clutter disappearing. Along the way, we found some items we thought we lost.

By the time we started packing up the house to sell it and move to join up with our kid, we were able to pack up 23+ years in this house, sell it and move in 60 days. No way we could have done it that fast if we hadn't started clearing out the clutter two years prior.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
gone traveling

Fire is your friend.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanstar View Post
I was headed in a general declutter direction but with the current pandemic have kicked it into overdrive. Filling trash bin every day, trips to Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity, digitalizing photos and certificates, distributing family memorabilia to kids, ect...

Someone’s going to have to do it. Might as well be me while we are in hunker down mode.
+1. Well said.

Americans seem to be addicted to buying stuff. Its a big problem. What motivates the desire to buy?? How can we address this?

Its sad. A very rich friend told me that he can never move or travel because he has too much stuff to "look after".
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last purge we picked up about $8000: eBay, Craigslist, rummage sale. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #9

You might even find some useful things you'd forgotten you had.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just visited a friend in another town. He told me when he goes, there's going to be a big garage sale for all his stuff.

I didn't say anything, and no offense, but most all belonged in the dumpster.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:58 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I need to figure out how to make this project an obsession.
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:58 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafoodie View Post
I need to figure out how to make this project an obsession.
The more progress you see, the more obsessed you'll become. It's a process. I went through 2 major purges in the last 10 years and I still fight clutter every once in a while.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Start small. Set a goal of cleaning out a closest or something similar every day. Get help too. A job shared is a job half done.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
Watch an episode of Hoarders, it really motivates me.
lol see that just made it worst for me. I watched hoarders and then patted myself on the back for not being "that bad"

I'm trying to declutter and get rid of stuff because I want to downsize. it's slow and tedious.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

It's all about volume. Just make sure that more volume goes out than comes in.

We rented an additional garbage container for a year and got rid of an extra can's worth of stuff every week.

And I rented a big dumpster. I put a lot of remodel debris in it, but I topped it off with a lot of purged household items

We had a garage sale

We make frequent trips to Goodwill

Sold a bunch of stuff on Craigs List

Sold a car we didn't need

This has been going on for a few years. Should be down to bare minimum in 2 years.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #16

When we remodeled our basement, I must have made about a dozen trips to the dump with our SUV. It was cathartic.

I recommend Nextdoor even before Craigslist; the people are local, and (supposedly) have to use their real names and locations. It feels a little less like the wild west of the internet.

I also recommend giving yourself a time limit on items for sale, then reducing them, eventually (or even right away) to zero. You'll usually have takers for most free items. But after X number of weeks, free items have to be out of the house, either donated or trashed. A hoarder's impulse is to say that an item could be valuable, but if no one is willing to pay or take it for free, it's time to admit that it probably isn't worth anything, and it certainly isn't worth physical or mental space in your life.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I recommend Nextdoor even before Craigslist; the people are local, and (supposedly) have to use their real names and locations. It feels a little less like the wild west of the internet.
Good point. I sold my boat through Nextdoor and it was a great experience. Craigs List can be hit or miss
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good point. I sold my boat through Nextdoor and it was a great experience. Craigs List can be hit or miss

Yep, I sold my dad's car with less than 5K miles for $3K more than Carmax offered via Nextdoor...and to a couple a few blocks away from me. I wasn't worried about their check bouncing, because I literally knew where they lived!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #19

We did this 5 years ago, when we decided to downsize after 30+ years in our huge house. We were still w*rking, and virtually every minute we weren't at w*rk or sleeping, we were purging. Several trips to Good Will each week, one big garage sale, and lots of trash cans and it was done in about 5 months, just in time for the house to sell and find a new one.

It all worked out, but it is exhausting, and also very liberating. You'll be glad you did it.

And, after 5 years in the new, smaller house, I took some time to purge more during the quarantine time. It's amazing how quickly you begin to accumulate again. #FirstWorldProblems

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We downsized and de cluttered our large home. We sold it and travelled. We kept what could fit into an 8x8x16 container. Best thing we ever did.

It took us about four or five months to prepare the house for sale and to de clutter.

A year later we unloaded the container and moved into a rental condo. There were things in that container that we did not want and gave away.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote