Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Question about SS Spousal application
Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Question about SS Spousal application

I applied for a Social Security Spousal benefit on September 21. I reached age 66 four days ago. I understand that the first monthly benefit should be paid in January. When I check on My Social Security the status of my application says "benefit application pending" since November 1.

I would have thought that this would have been resolved by now, and I am wondering if there is a problem. Is it too early to contact SSA to check status with my application?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I applied for a Social Security Spousal benefit on September 21. I reached age 66 four days ago. I understand that the first monthly benefit should be paid in January. When I check on My Social Security the status of my application says "benefit application pending" since November 1.

I would have thought that this would have been resolved by now, and I am wondering if there is a problem. Is it too early to contact SSA to check status with my application?
DW and I applied on Oct 4, I was approved 5 days later, her application is also pending. I called the SSA twice, both times the recorded call gave a short mesage, said no agent was available, and disconnected the call.

This afternoon I contacted the constituent services office of our Congremssman and asked them to get involved, and just submitted the paperwork they requested. You should consider doing the same, I think this delay is unreasonable and the constituent services desk agreed.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my husband applied last year in November for benefits to start in February, the status never changed from Pending until after the first check hit the bank in February. It seems some people get immediate feedback from SSA and others get none at all, but yet the checks show up.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't log in to see the exact wording since the site is undergoing maintenance but DW filed a couple of months ago for a January start. MySSA showed pending for quite a while, then switched to some sort of approved message.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My wife applied and her application was approved in about a week. I applied this fall for a February check and last week still not approved from SS site. I called and left a message and three weeks later got a call from them. They asked about 10 questions and said that they would approve my application. I went back to the SS site and looked at my application and it finally said, approved.

The reason I called is because they said, (SS) they would be in touch within 30 days from applying and it was just about 2 months and I had heard nothing.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

When DW applied last August we got a letter saying she had to contact SS office. We called and left a message but after a few days with no response we drove to the "local" office 35 miles away and they said the system detected possible fraud so the letter was sent out. The office visit in and out was relatively quick and her first check arrived on time this month.

Since she will be filing for spousal benefits when I reach FRA in May we were told make an appointment and do it all at the SS office.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

I applied for benefits on my own record on 8-10. First payment due for the month of November will be next Wednesday. SSA.gov showed pending until the month that I became eligible (November). Then the appporved note replaced the pending note and the Notice of Decision as well as Benefits Verification Letter were available to download.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #8

DW plans to (actually, I'm the planner, she's just agreeing) apply 3 months before eligibility, which is in a few days (turns 62 in mid March). It looked like it could be done online and would "just work", but now I'm less confident, after reading this thread. I think I'll heed any messages, but not sweat the displayed status, and only do something if the checks don't start. Or is that a dumb idea?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
DW plans to (actually, I'm the planner, she's just agreeing) apply 3 months before eligibility, which is in a few days (turns 62 in mid March). It looked like it could be done online and would "just work", but now I'm less confident, after reading this thread. I think I'll heed any messages, but not sweat the displayed status, and only do something if the checks don't start. Or is that a dumb idea?
If you don't get an approved message at least a month before the check is due I would inquire about what is up. DW's online application went thru seamlessly. Or so it appears. We have to wait until February for the check.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #10

I applied on line 3 months prior to age 62 and was approved within a few weeks. After I was approved, it was impossible to determine how much I was gonna get though. Finally got a letter in the mail stipulating how much. Then I got an e-mail saying it's gonna be 2.8% more come January. I logged back on to the site and there, sure enough, was another PDF letter stating how much I'd start getting in January and how much I will get in December. Woop!!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #11

As an alternative channel, I found I got much better responses from using our local SS office vs the central call center. Much easier to access on phone and get even a phone appointment.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

OP here, to follow up on my spousal application. After my original post I waited a few days and then decided to call SSA for an update. After nearly an hour I finally got to talk with someone and after some discussion I was told that they could tell me nothing about the status of my application.

SSA said they would email the person at my local SSA office that was responsible for processing my application and said I should receive a phone call from them within 1 to 2 business days. After 3 days of no returned phone call I checked MySocialSecurity site again and low and behold my application for spousal benefits was approved. The next day I received a "Notice of Award" letter from SSA advising my spousal benefit.

I thought my spousal benefit was supposed to be 50% of DW's monthly benefit but it is not according to the letter. DW just starting receiving benefits this past September so that I could file for the spousal benefit. Her SS claimed at her age of 64.5 is $1,719. We have received two deposits from SSA so far for this amount. I would think that my spousal benefit should be $1,719 x 50% = $859.50 or probably rounded down to $859. My "Notice of Award" letter advised my spousal benefit will be $846. Can anyone explain the $13 difference? I can of course contact SSA again but if I am overlooking something obvious I would like to know before a waste a phone call.

Oh, by the way I never did receive a return phone call from SSA as promised.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post

I thought my spousal benefit was supposed to be 50% of DW's monthly benefit but it is not according to the letter. DW just starting receiving benefits this past September so that I could file for the spousal benefit. Her SS claimed at her age of 64.5 is $1,719. We have received two deposits from SSA so far for this amount. I would think that my spousal benefit should be $1,719 x 50% = $859.50 or probably rounded down to $859. My "Notice of Award" letter advised my spousal benefit will be $846. Can anyone explain the $13 difference?
Same thing happened when DW applied - her monthly benefit was a few bucks less than 50% of mine. We actually made an appointment at our SS office and went to talk with them about the difference.

The basic answer was "If I told you I'd have to kill you" "The amount never works out to exactly 50%. The reason is complex and involves a lot of math."

I didn't pursue it any further. (See my sig line)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #14

Was there any mention made of Medicare premiums being deducted? Since you were full retirement age when you claimed, you would receive 50% of her FULL retirement age benefits, not the reduced amount she is receiving. Then subtract the Medicare from that amount. Is that what your amount comes to?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Same thing happened when DW applied - her monthly benefit was a few bucks less than 50% of mine. We actually made an appointment at our SS office and went to talk with them about the difference.

The basic answer was "If I told you I'd have to kill you" "The amount never works out to exactly 50%. The reason is complex and involves a lot of math."

Do you think the lack of explanation was because it’s difficult to explain or the agent didn’t really understand the math well enough to explain it?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Do you think the lack of explanation was because it’s difficult to explain or the agent didn’t really understand the math well enough to explain it?
He implied the former but it could have been either - or both.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

In our New Benefit Amount letters for 2019, DW's full benefits and my spousal are off by $0.25 of 50%. Background: DW filed on her record starting at her FRA and I filed for spousal at my FRA.

Off topic just a little, DW has taxes withheld at 10%. As it turned out, that 10% is calculated after the Medicare deductions are made. What is the reasoning behind that. I don't remember seeing that detail in the application.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Was there any mention made of Medicare premiums being deducted? Since you were full retirement age when you claimed, you would receive 50% of her FULL retirement age benefits, not the reduced amount she is receiving. Then subtract the Medicare from that amount. Is that what your amount comes to?
MissMolly I think you have answered my question. I think DW's FRA SS amount was $1,910. I then added 2.8% for 2019 COL adjustment to that which totals $1,963. I take 50% of that amount which is $981.74. I looked at the "Notice of Award" letter again and on page 2 it states, "We are taking medical insurance premiums due through January 2019 out of the check you will receive around January 23, 2019. These premiums total $135.50." (I overlooked that fact when I read the letter). So if I subtract the $135.50 from $981.74 it totals $846.24. So it appears the $846 is my 2019 monthly benefit after the Medicare insurance premium is deducted.

That is what I like about this group, so much information available.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
In our New Benefit Amount letters for 2019, DW's full benefits and my spousal are off by $0.25 of 50%. Background: DW filed on her record starting at her FRA and I filed for spousal at my FRA.

Off topic just a little, DW has taxes withheld at 10%. As it turned out, that 10% is calculated after the Medicare deductions are made. What is the reasoning behind that. I don't remember seeing that detail in the application.
Random question, since you only get two checks while both of you are to put it delicately, still here, why did you wait until your FRA to start collecting? In our case once my DH decided to file I filed for a spousal as well, figuring to maximize the time we get two payments. Now I will be collecting at 65 and 3 months but it was still the earliest possible date I could get a spousal.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Random question, since you only get two checks while both of you are to put it delicately, still here, why did you wait until your FRA to start collecting? In our case once my DH decided to file I filed for a spousal as well, figuring to maximize the time we get two payments. Now I will be collecting at 65 and 3 months but it was still the earliest possible date I could get a spousal.
For us, my husband filed at his FRA last year when he turned 66. I am waiting until 2019 when I am 66 to file a restricted application for spousal while my own continues to grow until I am 70 (I was/am the higher earner). I have to wait until my FRA in order to do that. You cannot file and restrict prior to FRA.