Join Early Retirement Today

Question for those retired to Florida
Old 09-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question for those retired to Florida

I have a 4 month lease agreement for a condo in Florida. It begins December 1.

I plan to use the 4 months to seek a more permanent residence in Florida.

Can anyone think of a reason why I could not or should not begin the process of obtaining a Florida drivers license shortly after I arrive in FLA?

From the FLA DMV website, it seems I can use my current DL from my current state, my passport and address of the FLA rental to begin the process.

Thanks
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let me pose the opposite question - why rush to get the FL drivers license if there is no necessity to do so immediately?

Until you establish permanent residency in FL, there is no necessity to get a FL drivers license, your current home state license is fine. Further, the procedure is simple - just some paperwork and eye exam.

If you do change your drivers license, then certainly you'll need to re-register/title your car in FL and change your insurance. I would think it would be easier to wait until you have a permanent address and then do everything. Otherwise, once you do have a permanent address, then you'll need to change the address on everything.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is a personal choice really. We got our info all changed ASAP for tax purposes. We did not actually start living in Fla until 4 years later, saved a fortune over California Taxes. In that 4 years we went sailing, traveled, visited family, and did all sorts of stuff, living the majority of the no travel time in Florida.

If you are definitely going to end up in Florida, I would do it ASAP. If you are not sure, then no.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd second this. I wish we had thought to do it/ask the forum about it; could have saved a whole year of MD income taxes, instead of just 8 months. And that ain't chicken feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

If you are definitely going to end up in Florida, I would do it ASAP. If you are not sure, then no.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Additionally, I am coming from a state that has a tax on personal property (vehicles). I will not be released from this obligation until I register my car in another state. Only then will that tax end.

PS - I don't find the task of changing my address to be a hassle, so that is not an issue.

Thanks
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOne View Post
Additionally, I am coming from a state that has a tax on personal property (vehicles).
Same for us (California) we registered our 1 car at a Mail Stop. "St Brendans Isle".com. When we did it it was allowed, you would need to check now. But Fla is pretty easy going with this kind of thing.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't see any downside becoming a FL resident when you arrive in FL... when you move to your permanent residence it wil then just be a change of address... but you'll be state income tax free for all of 2021 if you make the change when you arrive.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Your car insurance will likely go up, but probably not as much as you’d save in taxes.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
gone traveling

When you apply for a FL drivers license it is easier to make an appt online instead of waiting for hours at the DMV.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
When you apply for a FL drivers license it is easier to make an appt online instead of waiting for hours at the DMV.
Depends where you are, 5 mins max at ours.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Personally I would check with a tax attorney. I have a cousin who is extremely wealthy and intelligent . He bought property in Nevada to avoid the heavy tax in Ca. To ensure he was in compliance with the IRS, he consulted with a tax attorney. According to my cousin, you have to physically live in the state for over six months out of the year. Car registration, insurance, reciepts, sales records etc... must reflect the residence of record with the six month time frame.

I have property in TN and wanted to take advantage of the "no state income tax". Based on my conversation with my cousin, I'd have to live in TN.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Depends where you are, 5 mins max at ours.
That's correct. Appt times made online were every five minutes.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote