Questions for retiree’s from a young guy

1. What has your annual spend been? What did you forecast it being?
2. Any of you downshift to reduced hours prior to RE? Anyone go back to work in some capacity?
3. Anyone RE with kids still in the house? How has that worked out?
4. What is your projected SS payout or current payout? Or how close is your projected or real SS to your actual spending?

FIREd in 2014 @ 58 & 56 yo.

1. Annual spend has been ~115% of pre-FIRE plan because we decided to move to a very high COL area (SF Bay Area). But, we’re still <3% WR.
2. Do a small bit of consulting for former Mega (~200 hrs/yr) because I enjoy it.
3. No kids, which helped us FIRE.
4. Our SS + two small pensions will cover ~half of projected spend when they’re all on line.

Not sure how much the info above helps you since everyone’s situation is somewhat unique. But, my advice would be:
- Semi-FIRE & work a reduced schedule for several years if you enjoy your work.
- Spend lots of time with your kids.
- Be sure to include kid costs & health care in your plans.
- Have a rock solid plan if you’re going to FIRE at such a young age; also have two levels of backup plans.
- Consider a “safety first” approach if you can make it work.

Last edited:
Here you go:

1. Been retired now ~3yrs. Annual spend for recurring expenses, excluding taxes, ~$40k (single, no kids), and that's about what I forecast. I also budget ~$10k/yr to set aside or use for unusual health out of pocket costs and future asset replacements/major maintenance issues at the house.

2. No downshifting. Took a small consulting job with old employer....once (earlier this year). Learned that I didn't want to do that again, ever, if I can avoid it. I'm an "all in" kind of guy, and if I take a job, I think about it all day...so part-time or downshifting would likely have been a mistake for me. BTW, I have turned down more work/consulting opportunities that I ever expected to receive, and am glad I did. :D Time>money for me.

3. No kids.

4. As of today, I'm still likely 12 yrs out to SS, but didn't include it in my decision to retire @55. Pension income is sufficient to cover current basic expenses, and pensions have cola adjustments, so I was able to mostly discount SS in my retirement decision.

NL

Wow farmer I cannot believe 2 people can live on such a small amount. I am guessing no travel, eating out, etc.

Back
Top Bottom