Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Questions re: Georgia
Old 03-08-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
killingme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 96
Questions re: Georgia

Been spending some time travelling to different states, and looking at moving from (God help me) Connecticut, to either SE Fla, Knoxville area Tn but have read some interesting/promising things about Georgia. The two biggest things Ct has going for it is proximity and health care plus my DW has never lived anywhere else.

My questions are;

Are there coastal cities other than Savannah that we might want to look at (I spent a great deal of time in NYC and am not a fan of cities)

Is the weather as oppressive as it seems (was in Atlanta in July, think I left the soles of my shoes melted on the sidewalk)

How is the availability and access to health care?

I have done some research on my own but haven't heard from anyone living it so any help is appreciated!
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,375
In South, lower the altitude, the more humid it is - water heavier than air - & hotter it is. Only on coasts is there some relief. If looking at K-ville, I'd think higher places like Greenville, SC; Asheville, NC; and north GA (north of ATL) hills would be spots worth looking at.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Back woods of Fennario
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post
Been spending some time travelling to different states, and looking at moving from (God help me) Connecticut, to either SE Fla, Knoxville area Tn but have read some interesting/promising things about Georgia. The two biggest things Ct has going for it is proximity and health care plus my DW has never lived anywhere else.

My questions are;

Are there coastal cities other than Savannah that we might want to look at (I spent a great deal of time in NYC and am not a fan of cities)

Is the weather as oppressive as it seems (was in Atlanta in July, think I left the soles of my shoes melted on the sidewalk)

How is the availability and access to health care?

I have done some research on my own but haven't heard from anyone living it so any help is appreciated!
Atlanta is about 1000 feet above sea level and cooler (overall) than most places on the same latitude. If that is your benchmark for "too hot", I'd think north not south.

Is Knoxville interesting to you because of Tennessee's income tax situation?

The Golden Isles meet your "not a city" criteria and are still (relatively) affordable.

Good luck. You might want to elaborate a bit on your criteria.
__________________
"Time wounds all heels...." - Groucho Marx
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 858
Saint Simons Island in Georgia is very nice. More of a resort town, but has some nice residential areas as well. Here are some homes for sale as a sample.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...200308174811:s
__________________
"Some people describe themselves as being able to see a glass half full. For some, the glass is half empty. Me? I can't even find the f***king glass."
Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
killingme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Atlanta is about 1000 feet above sea level and cooler (overall) than most places on the same latitude. If that is your benchmark for "too hot", I'd think north not south.

Is Knoxville interesting to you because of Tennessee's income tax situation?

The Golden Isles meet your "not a city" criteria and are still (relatively) affordable.

Good luck. You might want to elaborate a bit on your criteria.
Knoxville area because the mountains and it has more moderate weather. The big drawback to me there is proximity to the ocean. Was looking at Gatlinburg/Sevierville area more specifically.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Back woods of Fennario
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post
Knoxville area because the mountains and it has more moderate weather. The big drawback to me there is proximity to the ocean. Was looking at Gatlinburg/Sevierville area more specifically.
Asheville/Highlands/Cashiers/Brevard NC have stunningly good weather if "not too hot but not brutally cold" are high on the list. I think Asheville gets good marks for healthcare.

There is not a great fit in terms of close proximity to both mountains and ocean in the east. You'd have to go west for that, I think.
__________________
"Time wounds all heels...." - Groucho Marx
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Questions re: Georgia
Old 03-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,999
Questions re: Georgia

I grew up in Jesup, Ga, which is 20 miles inland from Saint Simons Island. Ive visited most of the barrier islands and can verify that it is a special, beautiful region. My mother moved from Jesup to Saint Simons in 1984 and stayed until 2019, leaving for Savannah as some significant health problems developed and she was no longer comfortable driving to her see docs in Savannah. Brunswick has a significant hospital but she was never thrilled with the service. OP, you might check out Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island, Florida. Youd get the same coastal charm but youd be in Florida with zero income tax and nearby Jacksonville has an excellent Mayo Clinic location.

Also, yes, of course it is hot, hotter than Atlanta. I also never once shoveled snow growing up on the Georgia Coast. Good luck to you.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
killingme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Asheville/Highlands/Cashiers/Brevard NC have stunningly good weather if "not too hot but not brutally cold" are high on the list. I think Asheville gets good marks for healthcare.

There is not a great fit in terms of close proximity to both mountains and ocean in the east. You'd have to go west for that, I think.
Thanks...more options are always better .
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
killingme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I grew up in Jesup, Ga, which is 20 miles inland from Saint Simons Island. Ive visited most of the barrier islands and can verify that it is a special, beautiful region. My mother moved from Jesup to Saint Simons in 1984 and stayed until 2019, leaving for Savannah as some significant health problems developed and she was no longer comfortable driving to her see docs in Savannah. Brunswick has a significant hospital but she was never thrilled with the service. OP, you might check out Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island, Florida. Youd get the same coastal charm but youd be in Florida with zero income tax and nearby Jacksonville has an excellent Mayo Clinic location.

Also, yes, of course it is hot, hotter than Atlanta. I also never once shoveled snow growing up on the Georgia Coast. Good luck to you.
Yes, just say no to shoveling snow! I don't mind a little bit as long as it's gone in a day or two.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
killingme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 96
Hot I can deal with but last time I was in Atlanta it may have been unusual. It was in the 80's at 7am and just kept getting hotter and more humid as the day went on. At least with a coastal town you might catch a breeze.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coast, georgia, healthcare, housing


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance in Georgia ferco Life after FIRE 1 11-05-2007 05:24 PM
Georgia Health Insurance ferco Health and Early Retirement 3 01-30-2007 11:03 AM
Alabama, Georgia jimhcom Life after FIRE 28 09-28-2005 07:27 PM
Athens, Georgia astroboy Life after FIRE 2 08-16-2005 11:16 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.