Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Wine - too much $ to admit!
2. Prime aged beef
3. Kona coffee flown in monthly.
4. Can’t wait to start traveling again... but saving money in the interim.
5. My first car restoration, now that I’ve owned it for almost 40 years!
6. Home projects, once construction can start up again.
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #42
Administrator

I did just drop $300 for an array of bug killing products for my organic garden. I guess that is an indulgence too.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post

Don't we all want to have Robbie's attitude to "blow the dough" and not have to fret about it?!
No, I don't actually. Robbie's a cool guy n' all, but I don't really like "blowing" dough. I'd much rather spend it wisely. Yes, I know. I'm no fun at parties

Up until last year, my annual spend was around the $18K mark. Then, my rent went up from $650 to $750/month, which is still very reasonable for the SF Bay Area. The big budget killer was my purchase of a little campervan. Suddenly, my annual spend seems to have jumped to just under $28K. I'm still evaluating the long-term expenses of owning this little RV, but it looks to have increased my annual expenses by about $10K, which is a lot for me.

Nevertheless, although it wasn't an essential purchase, it has been fun to own, and gives me something to do. So yes, I guess my indulgence has been the extra $10K/year I spend on this little gas guzzler on wheels. I could sell it and, even with the slightly increased rent, go back to spending around $20K/year, but I like this little home on wheels.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #44

I’ve taken to dry aging my own beef. A prime grade rib roast from Costco can run $300 or so. Since Covid hit, our spending on travel has been zero, but I’ve been buying some cooking tools, a Sous vide machine, a chef’s torch, some cast iron. Earlier, we bought a diesel pusher Motorhome and built a shop to store it in...but then we moved interstate and now store it at a covered lot. We’ve invested in some tools and a crafting table for my wife’s crafting and quilting. In any case, without being able to be out and about much for the past 6-8 weeks, we haven’t spent nearly the usual. We like to support our local restaurants during the downturn, but (patting myself on the back), I’m quite the culinary artist myself, so we’re often disappointed.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Spend without concern $10K on travel per year, plus be sure to take at least 2 cruises per year if anything seems interesting.
Two cruises per year for us as well, but more on travel if you count our timeshare maintenance fees in the mix. We have a lot of points and we travel 4-5 months per year with them, so the fees are higher than many pay.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We bought a used motor home in 2007 and took some fun trips in it. We sold it recently. We spend between 5-14k/yearly on travel. We eat out once a week, go to some happy hours and a jazz club. Much of our entertainment is getting together with family and friends.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #47

Travel is (was) by far and away, #1. I had planned to spend $80K in 2020 on travel, in what was to be my inaugural FIRE year. I've only spent $15K, and am feeling a little grumpy about it.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I blow all my dough wisely, not foolishly like some people...

Old 05-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Traveled for a few years after I retired. Now I spend my time gardening and completing the hardscape in my yard. My most expensive indulgence is to have 3 French Bulldogs.
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Biggest Indulgence is traveling a Business class. We travel between our South American home and our US place at least 2x a year. Have to figure the upgrades run close to 20k a year. That to me is an indulgence!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:17 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I continue to do what I did pre-RE: travel, tennis, restaurants, and running. Before RE and Covid-19, I took 4-5 trips a year, and I really don't want to travel more than that. What's changed is that I don't have to go to the office, so I'm not stressed, and I have more time to exercise and cook. I had a one-time expense when I first retired to change my wardrobe from office to casual attire; otherwise, my expenses have not changed.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

We haven't retired yet (age 56, had been planning to retire at 62 - post-pandemic, we'll see).

My biggest indulgence is photography. Although I haven't bought any new camera bodies or lenses in the past three years, I did replace my pro printer last year and spend a lot on archival paper and ink. I spent even more on travel last year to photography portfolio reviews (they're kind of like speed-dating for fine art or pro photographers where you get 20-minute dates with leaders in the gallery and publishing worlds) and for portrait sessions around the US and Canada to complete the work for a fine art book being published later this spring by a German publisher. (I met the publisher's agent at one of those reviews.) Then there's the cost of framing and shipping work to exhibitions, cool business cards, etc. I earn $2-6 K a year from selling prints, payments from magazines/newspapers for my work, exhibition prizes etc (won a $1200 Leica two years ago), etc. But I donate most of my profits to the animal rescuers and their causes.

It's worth every penny because I use photography as an advocacy tool to encourage compassionate treatment of animals.

Last year, with a lot more travel than usual for this project, I probably spent $15K. A "normal" year would probably be closer to $8K (not taking into account any earnings).

If you'd like to brighten your day with some happy portraits of rescued animals, you can find my work here at janetholmesphoto.com.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Love it, Ally!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Love it, Ally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
So our indulgence is spending money without worry on helping dog and cat rescues, trapping, neutering and releasing feral cats we feed, fostering animals, and adopting some. We currently have 6 cats and 2 dogs, all but one rescued. We both volunteer at adoptions, collect donated pet food from stores, deliver it to rescues, and donate money for local pet rescue needs. To be able to do this and not worry about it , that is our indulgence.
Ally, I LOVE these indulgences!!! You're awesome people.
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
So our indulgence is spending money without worry on helping dog and cat rescues, trapping, neutering and releasing feral cats we feed, fostering animals, and adopting some. We currently have 6 cats and 2 dogs, all but one rescued. We both volunteer at adoptions, collect donated pet food from stores, deliver it to rescues, and donate money for local pet rescue needs. To be able to do this and not worry about it , that is our indulgence.
I also love this one! Bravo! I'd like to add that animal rescue groups (especially a lot of the smaller ones) really need support during the pandemic, too. They're operating with fewer support staff, need PPE so their people can work, and are facing food and other shortages as people cut back. There also are "food banks" for animals, which help people who are financial difficulties keep their pets at home through donated food. Also, providing back-up to someone who feeds a community of feral cats can be a great source of help: you don't have a regular route (like the main caretaker does), but you step in if that person gets sick, goes on holiday etc.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #55

Indulge? Run Forrest Run. We simply enjoy the freedom to live and give stress free.

Have to quote one Merriam-Webster definition which made me laugh, since I'm a lifelong Catholic that lost my religion.

"4 : remission of part or all of the temporal and especially purgatorial punishment that according to Roman Catholicism is due for sins whose eternal punishment has been remitted and whose guilt has been pardoned (as through the sacrament of reconciliation)"
Old 05-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Last year, we decided to step up our spending. We were running 1.8% SWR so had to do something so we bought a new condo and have filled it all new with no budget!

But with the Covid-19 precautions, we are forced to cut back our spending. Cancelled a Portugal river cruise. Only able to get limited wine and groceries delivered. Even our gourmet delivered meals provides enough food for two dinners each week.

We have stepped up contributions to our GCs who are struggling with finding employment during university.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wild Morel Mushrooms

Not counting wife's and my labor, it costs nothing to gather and freeze them once a year. Highly recommended if you can find them.
DaveInMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired yet, so no indulgences to speak of, but one of my biggest worries leading up to ER is that I'll feel a need to spend a lot more on home renovation projects when I'm spending a lot more time around the house. Working from home the last several weeks has shown me that there is a lot of stuff inside and out that could do with some sprucing up. Stuff I didn't notice so much when I was only here in the evenings and weekends (and much of that time was spent running around doing chores).
intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
“Indulgences... what are they and what are they costing you each year?”
As a militant atheist, nothing.
I think the Catholic Church is weird.

Hilarious! made me smile.
Thanks
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

No indulgences for me.... but I am no doubt funding many indulgences for my dentist...
I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote