RE Indulgences... what are they and what are they costing you each year?

I continue to do what I did pre-RE: travel, tennis, restaurants, and running. Before RE and Covid-19, I took 4-5 trips a year, and I really don't want to travel more than that. What's changed is that I don't have to go to the office, so I'm not stressed, and I have more time to exercise and cook. I had a one-time expense when I first retired to change my wardrobe from office to casual attire; otherwise, my expenses have not changed.

We haven't retired yet (age 56, had been planning to retire at 62 - post-pandemic, we'll see).

My biggest indulgence is photography. Although I haven't bought any new camera bodies or lenses in the past three years, I did replace my pro printer last year and spend a lot on archival paper and ink. I spent even more on travel last year to photography portfolio reviews (they're kind of like speed-dating for fine art or pro photographers where you get 20-minute dates with leaders in the gallery and publishing worlds) and for portrait sessions around the US and Canada to complete the work for a fine art book being published later this spring by a German publisher. (I met the publisher's agent at one of those reviews.) Then there's the cost of framing and shipping work to exhibitions, cool business cards, etc. I earn $2-6 K a year from selling prints, payments from magazines/newspapers for my work, exhibition prizes etc (won a $1200 Leica two years ago), etc. But I donate most of my profits to the animal rescuers and their causes.

It's worth every penny because I use photography as an advocacy tool to encourage compassionate treatment of animals.

Last year, with a lot more travel than usual for this project, I probably spent $15K. A "normal" year would probably be closer to $8K (not taking into account any earnings).

If you'd like to brighten your day with some happy portraits of rescued animals, you can find my work here at janetholmesphoto.com.

Love it, Ally!

So our indulgence is spending money without worry on helping dog and cat rescues, trapping, neutering and releasing feral cats we feed, fostering animals, and adopting some. We currently have 6 cats and 2 dogs, all but one rescued. We both volunteer at adoptions, collect donated pet food from stores, deliver it to rescues, and donate money for local pet rescue needs. To be able to do this and not worry about it , that is our indulgence.

Ally, I LOVE these indulgences!!! You're awesome people. :flowers:

So our indulgence is spending money without worry on helping dog and cat rescues, trapping, neutering and releasing feral cats we feed, fostering animals, and adopting some. We currently have 6 cats and 2 dogs, all but one rescued. We both volunteer at adoptions, collect donated pet food from stores, deliver it to rescues, and donate money for local pet rescue needs. To be able to do this and not worry about it , that is our indulgence.

I also love this one! Bravo! I'd like to add that animal rescue groups (especially a lot of the smaller ones) really need support during the pandemic, too. They're operating with fewer support staff, need PPE so their people can work, and are facing food and other shortages as people cut back. There also are "food banks" for animals, which help people who are financial difficulties keep their pets at home through donated food. Also, providing back-up to someone who feeds a community of feral cats can be a great source of help: you don't have a regular route (like the main caretaker does), but you step in if that person gets sick, goes on holiday etc.

Indulge? Run Forrest Run. We simply enjoy the freedom to live and give stress free.

Have to quote one Merriam-Webster definition which made me laugh, since I'm a lifelong Catholic that lost my religion.

"4 : remission of part or all of the temporal and especially purgatorial punishment that according to Roman Catholicism is due for sins whose eternal punishment has been remitted and whose guilt has been pardoned (as through the sacrament of reconciliation)"

Last year, we decided to step up our spending. We were running 1.8% SWR so had to do something so we bought a new condo and have filled it all new with no budget!

But with the Covid-19 precautions, we are forced to cut back our spending. Cancelled a Portugal river cruise. Only able to get limited wine and groceries delivered. Even our gourmet delivered meals provides enough food for two dinners each week.

We have stepped up contributions to our GCs who are struggling with finding employment during university.

Wild Morel Mushrooms

Not counting wife's and my labor, it costs nothing to gather and freeze them once a year. Highly recommended if you can find them.

Not retired yet, so no indulgences to speak of, but one of my biggest worries leading up to ER is that I'll feel a need to spend a lot more on home renovation projects when I'm spending a lot more time around the house. Working from home the last several weeks has shown me that there is a lot of stuff inside and out that could do with some sprucing up. Stuff I didn't notice so much when I was only here in the evenings and weekends (and much of that time was spent running around doing chores).

No indulgences for me.... but I am no doubt funding many indulgences for my dentist...

My sister was telling me about her dentist boasting about his Porsche 911 convertible while she was in the chair for a dental implant.

My sister was telling me about her dentist boasting about his Porsche 911 convertible while she was in the chair for a dental implant.

I certainly hope the oral surgeon who did my implant has some amazing indulgences, the work was incredibly good, bone grafts, implant, healing, everything.

Back
Top Bottom