Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Whidbey Island
Old 07-18-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You want negatives? * I'll give you negatives!

We're on the rim of fire. * Predicitions are that we'll be wiped out by a 9.0 earthquake any day now. * And if Japan gets hit instead of us, then we'll be wiped out by the resulting tsunami.

The annual rainfall numbers are deceptively low. * While we don't get that many downpours, it drizzles *all* the time. * Gray is our state color.

Are you planning to rely on the ferry service? * It's currently run by a bozo who has been cutting runs and killed the food service.

We get HUGE caterpillar invasions every few years. * They eat all of the alders. * *I mean the streets are paved with these suckers.

We're all radical left-wingers here.

The water is polluted.

And we're so close to the Canadian border, you can practically smell them *
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Born and grew up in Washington. Left at age 26 - the ferry to Whidbey seemed ok then. The Pacific NW is a nice place to visit - once every ten years in August.

If I should ever 'strike it rich' - will head further into "Margaritaville" - Gulf coast will have to do for now.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And we're so close to the Canadian border, you can practically smell them
Ahh...you'll be the first to fall to the invasion then.

Dont they have the highest suicide rate in the country there?

Must be the caterpillars.

It is purty though when the suns out. I have a friend on bainbridge island up thataways and its really nice when its not raining.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh and by the way, I just remembered - one of my water cooler stock buddies(ex Brit) retired about when I did, they sold their house in a 'planned' dev. on a lake in Mississippi and moved to Whidbey - his son (Air Force) had scoped the area out. Early 90's - hasn't come back - probably thinks it's a great climate compared to England. Go figure. heh heh.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Jarhead,

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I live across Saratoga passage fom Coupeville. People usually visit during summer. They see green trees and grass and sun, and long days, and think "Wow". But those 16 hour sunny days of early July become 8 hour dark misty days in December, and most people never turn off the lights except while they are in bed.

Another negative that applies to you is that the kind of uncrowded creek hike fishing you do is a long way from Whidbey, and not as good when you do find it.

I am pretty much a lifer here, but when I was younger and I could still move my family, I spent a lot of time seeking sun. This is a good place to live overall, but you seem to have a very high satisfaction level where you are.

Mikey

Old 07-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #6

I lived in Seattle where it's very grey and rainy in the winter. I think Whidbey may get more sun because it's in the shadow of the Olympic Mountains. The ferry that runs off the south side can be very busy in summer, expect hour long ferry lines. I bet there's good fishing in the rivers running from the cascades, which would be a relatively short drive. If you live near the north side of the island, you can drive off through deception pass.

Negatives?
- cold wet and grey winters.
- water is too cold for swimming all year round.
- can be isolated and remote (may be a positive for you.)
Old 07-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Oh and I have three more: nephew and wife, youngest nephew - Navy - stationed at Whidbey, they like it.
Young kids!
Old 07-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #8

Cold, wet, grey, windy, who needs that?? Also, I can show
you nice waterfront property right here for way under 100K.
Nice views, good fishing, etc. You would have to put up with Illinois politics though.

John Galt
Old 07-19-2004, 03:26 AM   #9

Yes, we like our "set up" but not the winters, even though they aren't much compared to my years
in northern Wisc. and Upper MIchigan. We would have been long gone except for family considerations
(aged parents, kids in the area). But, back to prices,
the last 2 cottages that sold here (each with 100 ft.
of river frontage (big river) went for $75,000 and $55,000. We could live nicely in either one. Most
properties in our sub. sell to Chicago area people,
I assume as they can't believe what they can buy
compared to prices nearer the city.

John Galt
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Jarhead...thats the beauty of living where we do. Within an hour or two you can drive to almost any kind of weather. From foggy and 50 near the coast to 100 and dry inland to 75 and breezy in the mountains.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My dads the same way. Every time I take him somewhere else for a trip he starts thinking about moving there.

C'mere...let me put a little something on the back of your neck

This area IS pretty good, but I think you had to buy into it a couple of years back. The RE is getting crazy. Even up in Oroville its gotten out of hand.

I used to LOVE san diego...spent a couple of months there about 20 years ago. Havent been there in a long time. Too bad its gone south (cough)...the weather was absolutely perfect.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 PM   #12

Jar- you and your friends must visit the North Cascades if they haven't already been there. The Methow Valley is about 90 miles from Oak Harbor and is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The fly fishing there should be excellent, and the weather on the east side of the Cascades is much drier. Unfortunately, the road (highway 20) is closed during winter months. The Mount Baker/Mt Shuksan area is also magnificent (and close to Whidbey). Mt Baker offers excellent 'low-key' and inexpensive ($28 weekdays!) skiing. The area has wonderful views, great hiking, and the fishing should also be good.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Mt. Baker Slush Cup Alive or did it die from politcal correctness three decades ago?

A Basin in CO had the girls sking in cut-offs and halter tops at least into the 70's.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My girlfriend tried that about 10 years ago.

I still have the forensic photos taken after the fall.

Looked really good up until then though.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #15

Its the best way to get "road rash" on the slopes.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Thats exactly what it looked like.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:53 AM   #17

I have a cousin that lives on Bainbridge Island and it is beautiful. I visited in July years ago when it was sunny, but wouldn't like to live there during the rainy/grey times of the year. Too depressing.

Being a lifelong resident of CA and used to the sun, I would pick my retirement spot based on both weather and finances.

KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a town on the north part of the Olympic peninsula (Sequim?) which has some incredible amount of sunshine because of it being in the shadow of the mountains. This doesn't apply to Whidbey.

I like relaxing on Lake Chelan myself. Beautiful place.
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote