Ready for Another Ten Best States?

I have to admit that the area just north of the Smokeys (TN) was very comfortable in the summer, and very beautiful.

I have to admit that the area just north of the Smokeys (TN) was very comfortable in the summer, and very beautiful.

Similar to one of my favorite areas, and a city that often makes these lists: Asheville NC.

Different strokes, I guess. When it's really cold you can add more layers and bundle up to get warm. In a Southern summer you can't get comfortable in *any* way other than to stay inside with the AC blasting constantly and hibernate from May to mid-October. You can't go around town naked, and even if you could you'd still be miserably hot.

Don't you find it odd that someone who hates cold weather(me) lives in one of the coldest areas in the country and someone who hates hot weather(you) lives in one of the hottest?

In the future those "best places to retire" lists will include only locations 1,000 ft or more above sea level....
Had a surveyor measure our retirement property. It is 7842.104 above the current sea level.

Different strokes, I guess. When it's really cold you can add more layers and bundle up to get warm. In a Southern summer you can't get comfortable in *any* way other than to stay inside with the AC blasting constantly and hibernate from May to mid-October. You can't go around town naked, and even if you could you'd still be miserably hot.
+1

DW/me have lived in the same area for the last 6+ decades but have lived (me) in Texas for 18 months and (both) in Florida for 18 months, outside the area in which we were born/raised (about 90m west of NYC).

Year round warm weather is not for us. We like the four seasons and the change that each brings, both in foliage and weather. Yes, we even enjoy the snow and the cold nights and crisp mornings that most winter days bring.

Anyway, you can't normally both snow and water ski in the south :LOL: ...

Different people, different wants/needs. Each place on the map is "perfect" for somebody...

Last edited:
I've been noticing that tornados and hail storms seem to be shifting both north and east. Hopefully north texas will be safe, although Houston may be under water:LOL:
Oklahoma = severe weather magnet..

Last edited:
The Alabama description takes note of Fairhope, a neat city flying under most folks radar. We discovered it in 04 and decided that was the place for us. Then enter Katrina..While not directly affecting Fairhope, the area seemed to become a magnet for Katrina survivors. The house we had our eye on jumped 50K over night, then after that they took their own hurricane hit.
That did it..So long Fairhope.:(

Fairhope was at the top of my list before Katrina, too. Katrina changed everything. :(

Don't you find it odd that someone who hates cold weather(me) lives in one of the coldest areas in the country and someone who hates hot weather(you) lives in one of the hottest?

It must be human nature to see only(or more clearly) the disadvantages of where we are, and not the disadvantages of other places where we might live. When we were looking for a potential retirement location, we were looking for low crime and no hurricanes. But what disadvantages is New Orleans known for? high crime and hurricanes. :LOL:

Had a surveyor measure our retirement property. It is 7842.104 above the current sea level.
Wow! That's really high. I am at -2.4 feet, and most of my suburb is at -3.6 feet.

Last edited:
In the future those "best places to retire" lists will include only locations 1,000 ft or more above sea level....
except in Virginia, "rising sea level" is illegal so no worries.

For now WV fits the bill for us. A mixture of weather, no earthquakes, tornadoes/hurricanes are rare and those are mild by other standards and short-lived. Not too crowded or desolate. Proximity to family is important.

There is no "one size fits all".

Back
Top Bottom