Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Dawg, no shame in delaying. I originally Fired at 51 with enough assets to pull it off but.....the recession took away my confidence in the numbers. So, I went back for another 10 years of earnings and that took me to FIRE at 62. It will work out and yes it takes some "getting use to". But I am nearly 2 years in and have not regretted a day. You got the dough so just wait till your heart says go. However, when u get the 8 figures in earning assets it will be time to let the Dawg out!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If you want to work, work.
If you don't want to work, don't work.
Easy.
+1 One doesn't retire, voluntarily, just for the sake of retirement. You seem to have the best of all worlds - financially independent so you do not have to work, you enjoy working, and you feel you have enough vacation time to do what you want. You don't need our "permission" to continue working. When you're ready to take the plunge, you'll know.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #23

Logical? Yes. Comfortable? Yes
But sometimes change requires a leap of faith to take us out of our comfort zone and realize that all will be well.
Can you take a sabbatical for several months and live on your retirement plan to ease into more comfort with that?
Only you can decide what is best for you.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great comments... appreciate it!

As suggested, I suppose I will know when I know.

Or as mama said “life’s like a box of chocolates “...
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #25

I have one formula for any decision like this:

Income vs Aggravation = Decision
Old 01-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
“Now, because I had been a football star, and a war hero, and a national celebrity, and a shrimpin' boat captain, and a college graduate, the city of fathers of Greenbow, Alabama, decided to get together and offered me a fine job. So, I never went back to work for Lieutenant Dan. Though he did take care of my Bubba Gump money. He got me invested in some kind of fruit company. And so then I got a call from him saying we don't have to worry about money no more and I said, "That's good. One less thing. "Now, Momma said there's only so much fortune a man really needsand the rest is just for showing off. So, I gave a whole bunch of it to the Four Square Gospel Church and I gave a whole bunch to the Bayou La Batre Fishing Hospital. And even though Bubba was dead, and Lieutenant Dan said I was nuts, I gave Bubba's mommy Bubba's share. And you know what? She didn't have to work in nobody's kitchen no more. And 'cause I was godzillionaire and I liked doing it so much, I cut that grass for free.”
Forrest Gump
+1

Wins the internet post of the day - love it!
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is time Dawg. IIRC, you have a Fatfire budget and an impressive NW.
Lots of wiggle room.
The water is clear. Jump in.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #28

While I agree that FI is all about giving you the power to decide when to retire on your terms, I would say that what I enjoy about retirement far outweighs what I miss from w*rk.

Since you haven't experienced it, you don't know how it will be for you. Any chance of taking a solid month off (sort of a mini-sabbatical/trial run)? If you are a valued employee then there's a good chance they'll treat it as though you were out for a month for a medical reason and not stress about you coming back. If at the end of the month you want to stay retired, either just do it or negotiate your transition. If you want to go back to w*rk, do it. Or maybe go back part-time. Just a thought...
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
+1 One doesn't retire, voluntarily, just for the sake of retirement.
Sometimes one does. At least this one did.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Agreed. I was totally taken with the 19th century concept of gentleman/woman of leisure. I had so much I wanted to do that work kept me from doing.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The beauty of FI is that one can take on the w*rk environment on your own terms. If they treat you poorly, you can tell them so.

What are they going to do, fire you?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
Well, I just could not do it. The RE plan I implemented since my early 20's played out on paper above all my expectations. End of 2019, at age 55 was it... 2019 income was supersized, RE assets grew above my "number" thanks to Mr Market and real estate investments, and paid off the house... man, I was ready to go! BUT, I just cannot cut the cord yet. I feel like I am caught in a vortex! On one hand, I want to dive into the pool of freedom and just let the next chapter of life play out, but on the other hand, I have a job that has been very lucrative, generally enjoyable and very flexible that is not stopping me from really doing any travel/other things I would do in RE, and should be relatively profitable until the economy tanks so why not ride the wave until it crashes... it seems logical that I should ride it out, right? None the less, I didn't expect to feel this tension which frankly has me waking up each day asking the same question... "What do you want to do today?" I feel like Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day! I have spent my whole life "accomplishing", checking off daily to-do lists, moving the ball forward and the fear of not replacing this with something in RE has me somewhat paralyzed. I think this is less about OMY syndrome or even ego, but more about how to reprogram myself.

Anyone else walk up to edge of the pool and just stare at it?
So you are waiting for the next crash? If it does come, I am sure that you will be waiting for the next recovery.
I'm not criticizing you, since I am on the same boat. If I want any reason for not quiting, that is just to tell other people.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
+1 One doesn't retire, voluntarily, just for the sake of retirement. You seem to have the best of all worlds - financially independent so you do not have to work, you enjoy working, and you feel you have enough vacation time to do what you want. You don't need our "permission" to continue working. When you're ready to take the plunge, you'll know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Agreed. I was totally taken with the 19th century concept of gentleman/woman of leisure. I had so much I wanted to do that work kept me from doing.
My bad, a typo of omission. I meant to write: One doesn't HAVE TO retire, voluntarily, just for the sake of retirement.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Me too. I retired without having anything (except numerous hobbies) to retire too. I did know that I didn't want to work anymore nor did I have too, but that was about it. I'm cool with a loose schedule with nothing planned.

Maybe I'll plan something...
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Me too. I retired without having anything (except numerous hobbies) to retire too. I did know that I didn't want to work anymore nor did I have too, but that was about it. I'm cool with a loose schedule with nothing planned.

Maybe I'll plan something...
+1 In fact, some people who knew me very well thought that I might be climbing the walls within a year.... a part of me thought that perhaps they were right, but as it turns out.... not! I was pleasantly surprised how content I could be puttering around and not doing much of anything.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #36

I sort of did 9 extra months for DW to get comfortable with the idea, but then dove in and its been great. I was not as happy with w**k as you though. Still, if you have things for your time then you should go.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

You need to just work on your plan of how you would spend your time if you were not working. When that plan outweighs the work enjoyment factor, and if the finance side is a green light, it will be time to go. I never realized how much I missed work when I retired at 54, but got bored and went back to work, finally retiring at 63.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
+1

Wins the internet post of the day - love it!
I have seen that movie so many times, and loved the reference. I was chuckling the entire time I read it !.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #39

I was basically in the same boat and probably would still be OMYing it, if the ERP offer wasn’t too good to refuse. I was ready 2-3 years before the offer, but couldn’t make the change. But I knew I would be kicking myself forever had I not taken the ERP offer. Sometimes it takes an external influence.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #40

I, too, have walked up to edge of the pool and just stared at it. Four extra years. But in those years, we doubled our planned travel budget, and went from being able to afford a condo to a house. At 54, my BS bucket is full, and I hear the call of travel. Going to New Zealand for a month, next month, then returning for six or so weeks to wrap up the loose ends before heading to Europe for a month, then Japan for two. I ran out of vacation time, or I might have w$rked longer!