Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
The job situation is pretty boring. Most problems and challenges that come my way as a mid-level manager these days are not new and fairly easily solved. Not really a challenge for someone with a few decades of experience in the industry.
To be fair, this isn't a binary decision between a boring job and retirement. You can find other non-boring employment if you choose to do so.

Quote:
After a heart-to-heart with my wife today, the decision is to put my paperwork in for a May 1 retirement to give me a couple weeks to close out and transition assignments to others.
There you go! Not so hard after all.

Quote:
This is what we worked for and now is the time to put my working life in the rear view mirror and focus on the things I really love, travel, bicycle racing, volunteer work, the company of grown kids, taking care of Mom, and most important enjoy time with my lovely and supportive wife.
Congratulations!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
My wife retired last Fall and now it’s my turn. After a heart-to-heart with my wife today, the decision is to put my paperwork in for a May 1 retirement to give me a couple weeks to close out and transition assignments to others.

This is what we worked for and now is the time to put my working life in the rear view mirror and focus on the things I really love, travel, bicycle racing, volunteer work, the company of grown kids, taking care of Mom, and most important enjoy time with my lovely and supportive wife.

May 1? Wow, you don't have to endure the 'OMG when will this end?' for too long. I gave 6+ months notice and it was not the best decision I ever made.

Good on you, and congratulations! You're gonna love it! I promise!

I look forward to seeing you post more.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Okay.

So we have established that your desire to work isn't tied in to your medical prognosis.

Maybe we can drop the "If you went to the doctor today and he/she told you that you only have 6 months to live" line as well, since it has nothing to do with anything?
You asked me a question, I answered it. My intention was to illustrate (to the OP...not you) that things can happen that we may not be ready for...and a medical diagnosis is one of those things.