Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

that's awesome
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Land has always been a part of my life. I have bought and sold land all my life as a hobby and have worked the land in different degrees as I owned them. I never have lost money in bare land. I don't buy land with building (homes, Apt.) etc. that kind of property never has interested me.

I have a ranch now I wouldn't sell it if someone offered me 20 times more then I paid for it. The joy and rewards of working the land is something I have enjoyed all my life and it has been a blessing for me in retirement. I hunt, fish, hiking right out my back door and has been a good investment for me. I really don't care if I loose money on the place because it will never be sold in my life time.
I might transfer ownership to the state for a walk in get away for people when I'm gone to archery hunt, fish, hike and just to discover the outdoors.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #23

Your purchase is great and the enjoyment and rewards from it, is worth every penny you spent, regardless if it doesn't make you money.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #24

Last year, we purchased 10 acres across the street from our home. The main motivation was to prevent anyone else from building on our street. We have enjoyed it immensely - it is mostly mixed hardwoods with an open area that will serve as a food garden. We have gathered our own firewood and cleared out a trail around the perimeter for walking the dogs.

There are two 10-acre tracts adjoining mine - fully wooded and land contours make both of them less buildable. We love the woods. I am trying to figure out how to maybe extract some nest egg to buy those 20 acres. They may appreciate some over the years, but it would be primarily for our own recreation and to preserve this natural area from development. This is zoned residential, so not intended for timber harvesting (not that we would anyway).
Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #25

Farms are another way to hold a good-size chunk of land for personal use inexpensively.

A friend bought a 50+ acre farm just a few miles outside of town...plenty of space for hunting/fishing/etc....tax laws here are such that he only pays tax on the farmhouse & the land it directly occupies as long as he generates a modest amount of revenue (IIRC, only $1,000 annually) from agricultural activities...he mostly sells hay and a small amount of livestock.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought 27+ acres in central NH from a co-worker in 1994. Camped on it a few times, took my ATV up there a couple times. 2 yrs ago was contacted by at least 4 logging operations and over the last 1.5 years (took them that long, then are very busy) struck a deal to let them take 65% of the timber in exchange for some road building/view clearing. We have 250 of elevation on the property and a really nice view of a 6 mile long lake. Still, no plans to develop it or subdivide it, but anxious to see the views that will be cleared. Several vertical granite cliffs on the lot, a truly spectacular parcel.

Oh, and as long as I don't bring utilities in, or start a house foundation, taxes are a whopping $18/yr.
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got enough wood cut to pay the taxes and warm the house. Also got a Winter supply of meat. Loving retirement, country living and a simple life. IMG_1337.jpgIMG_1354.jpgIMG_8948.jpgIMG_0832.jpgIMG_1325.jpg
Alderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderman View Post
Got enough wood cut to pay the taxes and warm the house. Also got a Winter supply of meat. Loving retirement, country living and a simple life. Attachment 33572Attachment 33571Attachment 33570Attachment 33569Attachment 33568
"A Country Boy Can Survive." . . . . . Hank Williams Jr. All you're missing are some trotlines.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
I bought 27+ acres in central NH from a co-worker in 1994. Camped on it a few times, took my ATV up there a couple times. 2 yrs ago was contacted by at least 4 logging operations and over the last 1.5 years (took them that long, then are very busy) struck a deal to let them take 65% of the timber in exchange for some road building/view clearing. We have 250 of elevation on the property and a really nice view of a 6 mile long lake. Still, no plans to develop it or subdivide it, but anxious to see the views that will be cleared. Several vertical granite cliffs on the lot, a truly spectacular parcel.

Oh, and as long as I don't bring utilities in, or start a house foundation, taxes are a whopping $18/yr.

Well, here's the view. Pictures don't do it justice. Seriously questioning whether I want to part with it or not now. 3 years FIRE'd and I am even more of an outdoorsman. Hiked 485 miles with our 2 dogs in 2019. Always thought I would love to have a modest home on a hill with a 30+ mile view.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191219_134337.jpg (770.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20191219_134349.jpg (673.8 KB, 33 views)
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #30

^ I have bought land through out my life and have sold place some. The problem for me when I did sell I was in constant mode to find another place to buy. I always bought more before I sold anything. If a guy doesn't need the money I would never sell in the near future. I have always enjoyed each piece of property I had. If it were me I would keep that beautiful piece of land.