The commute 38 8.44%
Health reasons 35 7.78%
To be a caregiver for loved one 31 6.89%
Got caught with my Ponzi scheme - in jail 3 0.67%
Other 50 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always planned to RE, but I used to think age 59.5, then 57.

Then had enough of megacorp and was FI at 55, so retired 4 days after my 55th B-day (ensuring easier access to my 401(k) if needed).

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #22

Because the ever-increasing workload and ever-decreasing schedules were going to literally kill me before I reached "normal" retirement age.

Also, because I could.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #23

Why not?
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #24

To be a caregiver for my mom.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'll trade you. I work 1p-11p M-Th unless there is overtime then I work either 3p-3a or 5p-5a M-Th. No lunch break, just 2 10 minute breaks for a 10 hour shift or 3 10 minute breaks for a 12 hour shift.
Isn't it a law that you get half hour unpaid lunch for eight hours?

Either way, I don't think you could pay me enough to work at a place like that.
Sprink-Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #26

Picked 3: Planned, had enough, and health
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reason you retired ? Poll
Old 01-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reason you retired ? Poll

A couple of health issues that are stress related, having more than enough assets and income to do so as well as the simple fact I was just plain tired. Too many years of mergers, acquisitions, system conversions, system implementations and too much MegaCorp BS...
Old 01-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although I only saw clients one day a week they only let me work from home one day a week. I would have stayed with more home days.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #29

Electronic health record
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted other. My employment stints included 5 years at Big Oil, 15 years public school teaching (at 3 different districts), 6 years of government contract work (with three different contractors as a small company was bought first by a slightly larger company and then by a big contractor), and lastly at a education non-profit. After "retirement" I had a small gig creating hands-on activities for a national student competition - hours were completely under my control. Stellar employee at all and was able to keep hours limited at the teaching and non-profit by working smart.

BUT, I just got tired of answering to other peoples' schedules and I also got tired of being "responsible". In many of my positions there was no backup - whatever the task was, it was mine and mine alone.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, I’ll try to make this brief...
I had planned and prepared for ER. The last threshold I wanted to cross was my 55th birthday (whereupon I would be eligible for retiree medical coverage). I crossed this threshold, but realized I was only about a year away from paying off the mortgage. I didn’t hate my job and decided this would make a nice, neat finish line so planned on OMY.
About 2 months after that birthday I collapsed with a stroke (luckily no paralysis). A coworker with whom I had stayed in touch (we had the identical position) said the word had come down: all employees in the state in our position would be laid off in a few months. Happily, she was also able to retire with no problem and most of our colleagues around the state landed on their feet in one way or another.
Other employees we spoke with over the years described a workplace with steadily declining conditions, and Megacorp finally left the California entirely last year. My friend and I have reflected that we got out just in time.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

So which 2 wiseguys are posting from jail?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife is sick... I retired at 57, and my daughter took a leave of absence from her job... we both take care of her.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #34

I had more than enough dough and my kids needed me home 24/7.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mostly I wanted to have fewer demands on my time, so that I can spend my remaining years doing whatever I want. I already spent most of my life meeting obligations and taking care of responsibilities. As I got older, it seemed to be more and more difficult to work hard all day and still have energy left for anything else. At some point I reached the point at which enough was enough.

Yep, I spent most of my life, decades of school and w*rk, doing what someone else wanted me to do. Now I do what (little) I have to do, and rest of my time I do what I want. This includes sleeping in late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
The people. If I had been stationed at any other Air Force Base or any other unit I might have stayed awhile longer. Nicer job. Nicer people. Why leave?

But given the personalities I had to deal with I decided one day: Hey I don't need this. I have enough money.

I briefly held two other jobs after that. (One month and five months) The People killed it for me. Good riddance

Yep, most folks were OK, even great to w*rk with, except for the handful that weren't. These jerks set the tone and were typically the ones in charge. Time to something else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Friends said they were going to retire, it shocked me and they explained they had enough $$.

Made me look at our situation and realize we were fine to retire as well We had been working largely out of habit.

This happened to us too. I though FIRE as almost a decade out so I grew despondent when the market cratered in '09. Stopped tracking assets for almost 2 years, but kept my j*b and stayed the course-didn't panic sell.

Around 2014, our investment recovered enough that I was encourage to do quick mental tally. We were close! FIRE'd a year latter.

I feel bad for the families struggling with heath issues. Glad many had enough $$ to enable them focus on personal health or the health of loved ones.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So which 2 wiseguys are posting from jail?
I pleaded Insanity, so actually It's a mental institution. I still run a small hedge fund from inside.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
A couple of health issues that are stress related, having more than enough assets and income to do so as well as the simple fact I was just plain tired. Too many years of mergers, acquisitions, system conversions, system implementations and too much MegaCorp BS...

I grew overweight (stress eating, eating to escape) and angry. It was definitely time to go.

Lots of folks grew tired of MegaCorp BS. From personal experience, Mini-Corp wasn't any better.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprink-Fitter View Post
Isn't it a law that you get half hour unpaid lunch for eight hours?

Either way, I don't think you could pay me enough to work at a place like that.
I have been working for 20 years and have never worked at a place that had that. Only office jobs have that and I work blue-collar.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #39

I'd planned to ER for many years and was getting my financial ducks in a row. In the last few years I'd had to change locations and deal with a particularly unpleasant commute.

And then my Megacorp froze my pension so there would be no benefit to work after 2015.

And then Megacorp lessened retiree healthcare benefits for those retiring after 2015.

And then I was RIF'd at the end of 2015.

So I chose several of the options in the poll, but simply say the stars aligned for me to retire at 55 at the and of 2015.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have been working for 20 years and have never worked at a place that had that. Only office jobs have that and I work blue-collar.
If you work in a unionized environment, you would be getting your 30 minute lunch unpaid.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote