Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I watched a bunch of Franklin videos to figure out how to go about it, trimming, rubs, timing, temps, wraps etc.
Probably the best advice anywhere. Nobody does it like Aaron.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Any advice for brisket? I find them the most touchy one to smoke. Last one was fantastic. Previous 2 were, meh. Last time was a whole brisket, in the cryovac bag, and injected with beef broth. I think that makes a difference, but open to ideas.

I use the midnight brisket traeger recipe https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/midnight-brisket and tips from https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/smok...first-brisket/
I get my brisket from a butcher and tell him that Im going to smoke it. So maybe he trims it knowing how Im smoking it it. I dont know - I just through it on the smoker with no additional trim on my part.
I spritz the brisket with Apple juice and I keep a pan of water in the smoker for moisture. I pull the brisket at no less than 204 degrees, and I let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I also recommend the MasterBuilt. I have an older version of this one: https://www.masterbuilt.com/collecti...lectric-smoker
Mine has a glass window, but it quickly got clouded with smoke and drippings and can never be cleaned, so no benefit. I have smoked everything from Ham to Salmon. I do a lot of ribs and turkeys and brisket. It is very versatile and easy to use. The wood chips are easy to load and the digital thermometer is accurate. Just enter the temp and time and then every 30 minutes to an hour just load more wood chips. I have gotten good recipes from this site: https://amazingribs.com/
JackJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:23 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I did a 3.5 hr 225F slow cook on a weber gas grill of chicken thighs. They came out good, but truthfully not much difference than my faster higher temp grilling efforts. Used apple chips in aluminum foil. But really not much of a smoke flavor. 0 for 1. Long term think will have to go to a dedicated smoker route.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Well I did a 3.5 hr 225F slow cook on a weber gas grill of chicken thighs. They came out good, but truthfully not much difference than my faster higher temp grilling efforts.
Not surprising. Chicken is probably the least receptive kind of meat to the low and slow method, so it's generally cooked at a much higher temperature. I think the best possible way to cook chicken is on a rotisserie. Another difference is that with chicken a little smoke goes a very long way. Too much can ruin it.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

So maybe try with beef or pork and see how it goes. I have had great success on a rotisserie. We discovered a bbq carryout nearby, small place - like a shed with three grills running all day, a fabulous smoked turkey. My goal is to cook like they do. Key word being "like" - they use charcoal and hardwood.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a Masterbuilt electric, it was good but had to add wood chips every hour so and it broke after 1 year.

I purchased a Traeger from Costco and love it so far, my grill just sits collecting dust now as I do everything on the Pellet Grill much easier, other than clean up of ashes.

I am a member of Pellet grill on facebook and they have many recommendations depending on budget.

RecTec is popular as well.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Any advice for brisket? I find them the most touchy one to smoke. Last one was fantastic. Previous 2 were, meh. Last time was a whole brisket, in the cryovac bag, and injected with beef broth. I think that makes a difference, but open to ideas.
My simple brisket advice is to change your injection from broth to Butchers BBQ. That made a big difference for me. The rest of your process sounds good.
Im not a spritzer.
For ribs, the two biggest improvements I made were both learned on Amazingribs.com I salt the night before and then use a saltless rub the day of. Also using Blues Hog BBQ sauce as a glaze made a big difference.
rrppve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have several BBQ cookers in my collection. Not a single one is gas.
The Rectec is a good pellet grill. A MAK or Yoder is even better but pricier. Stay away from Traeger, am in the process of returning my broken Traeger to Costco for a refund.
The cheapest and most practical way to start is with a Weber kettle. For chicken get a vortex insert.
I use a Kamado Joe a lot. It’s very similar to a Big Green Egg.
I also have a PK360 which I use for grilling steaks primarily. I can do this in the Kamado, but it’s quicker and easier on the PK.
I took up BBQ as my hobby in earnest when I FIREd. Just did a brisket this past weekend. Am waiting on my new toy to arrive, a Hunsaker drum, which has gained a lot of popularity recently.
Learned a lot from Amazingribs.com and bbq-brethren.com
rrppve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve got a CampChef pellet grill. They work just like the Traeger. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, and use it all the time. I don’t grill on it, only smoke. For super hot searing, I use my TruInfrared propane grill. The Traegers and CampChefs have their limits in terms of high temp work, but you can’t beat the pellet grill for smoking.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

We just bought a Green Mountain Smoker. Cheaper than a Traeger but supposedly mDe as well if not better. So far, so good.
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:02 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Well I did a 3.5 hr 225F slow cook on a weber gas grill of chicken thighs. They came out good, but truthfully not much difference than my faster higher temp grilling efforts. Used apple chips in aluminum foil. But really not much of a smoke flavor. 0 for 1. Long term think will have to go to a dedicated smoker route.
Not surprising. Chicken is probably the least receptive kind of meat to the low and slow method, so it's generally cooked at a much higher temperature. I think the best possible way to cook chicken is on a rotisserie. Another difference is that with chicken a little smoke goes a very long way. Too much can ruin it.
I have terrific luck with low and slow whole smoked chickens on my Traeger. It’s a go to regular favorite.
- the chickens are brined
- the Traeger generates way more smoke than a foil packet of chips.
- 2 to 2.5 hrs at 225-250 to get a good smoke exposure, then up to 325-375 thereabouts to finish them off.

They are really out of this world and the best smoked chicken ever. Super juicy and no basting because of the brining.

The initial low and slow means that the skin is well rendered and thin, so it’s not going to be crispy, but the juicy smokey meat is so delicious it doesn’t matter.

On the simple Weber I recommend using a couple of chunks in the coals instead of chips in foil. I tried cherry chunks on a recent much faster cook of unbrined chicken pieces and got a lot of smoke and a nice flavor. Not nearly as intense as the Traeger, but definitely enhanced over charcoal alone.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:26 AM   #33

I use a Charbroil electric smoker with great success, but don't use the included smoker box. I use a Carpathen tube smoker instead. Much more smoke. And I make my own rub from a recipe given to me years ago by a Texas champion brisket smoker. I marinate the meat usually in unsweetened cherry juice infused with garlic the day before. Won't spritz during the smoke, just put it in and forget about it.
I also use the Texas crutch and wrap in butcher paper at around 170. I usually have several vacuum sealed packs of brisket and pulled pork in the freezer for quick meals.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #34

I thought that this was going to be about vaping! lol
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #35

I have used one of these, or one like it, for over 30 years! I have won several local brisket cook-off using the following:

I was at a Texas BBQ contest in 1987. Some of the best brisket I have ever tasted. My brother was a judge and good friends with a lot of the cooks. I got the following advice:

Make a rub of one part season salt, one part paprika, and one chili powder. Use one pecan, one mesquite, two oak logs for smoke. Smoke the brisket for four hours at 200 to 250 deg. Remove, wrap in foil covered with one bottle of Italian dressing and one bottle of water. (small cheap dressing) Wrap and return to heat at 200-250 for 4 hours. It can be outside or inside in the oven. At this point the meat has all the smoke flavor it's going to get because you wrapped it in foil. During the smoking portion I add wood about every hour. This has never failed me. Tender, moist, and easy.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have used one of these, or one like it, for over 30 years! I have won several local brisket cook-off
Impressive!
I'm a barbeque judge and I judge at anywhere up to a dozen contests every year. Most judges will tell you that brisket is the hardest thing to get perfect, and when I happen on one that is just totally awesome it pretty much makes my day.

Certainly Texas is the place for great brisket. Nobody is quite sure why.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #37

I have both a BGE and an offset firebox smoker. For serious bbq, I still like to use the offset firebox smoker (usually with pecan wood), although the BGE can do it all as well. Probably even easier on the BGE, but I guess I feel like its cheating.

Love pork butt, spareribs, and brisket. But my absolute favorite, decadent, delicious cut of meat to smoke are beef short ribs. They are so rich and sumptuous, you cant actually handle eating them too often. But my oh my.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #38

Heres a pic of some just off the smoker beef ribs.
Adjustments.jpg
Old 06-25-2020, 06:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have used one of these, or one like it, for over 30 years! I have won several local brisket cook-off using the following:
This is very similar to mine. After watching a Video on how to make a home made smoker using a terra cotta planter, an electric grill charcoal starter and about $150 worth of parts, I walked past the smoker dept. in Home Depot. It was late September and they were all on clearance. I picked one up for about $40, and have used it once a month for about 8 years now. We cook on our grill 2-3 times a week year round, and it's not uncommon to see me BBQing in a snow storm in February.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got a Masterbuilt 40" Bluetooth Electric Smoker a few months ago and am loving it, but I probably recommend a different model. The Bluetooth is nice for checking on the temp, but every time I switch off the app, it disconnects, so trying to set an alarm for a certain temp doesn't work. I also have to add wood chips every 30 minutes to get good smoke going. Still haven't seen anything that looks like a smoke ring yet.
Then again, it looks like the price now (250) is way lower than what we paid (over 400). The clear door is pretty useless, it gets smoked up pretty easily.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote