Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2020, 05:52 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks much!

Good tip about the wet paper. I have a big roll of uncoated butcher paper.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Take a piece of brown paper like the kind grocery bags are made of and cut it to fit the trout fillet. Wet it until it is soaked and place the trout fillet on it skin side down. I don't brine the fish at all, just take out a freshly cleaned fillet.

Put a light coating of olive oil on the meat side of the fillet then apply a light sprinkle of lemon pepper and an even lighter sprinkle of garlic powder. I'm sure your favorite sea food seasoning would be good, I like to keep it simple.

Have your smoker preheated to 250 and put it on there (with the paper under the skin) and close the lid. Grab a beverage and pretend your busy while attending it. Keep the lid closed.

How long it takes really depends on the size of your trout fillet. An average fillet from a 5 lb trout takes about an hour, maybe longer. I don't use a thermometer, just take it off the grill when the meat starts to flake and its warm to the touch. Keep it on the wet newspaper and the meat comes off nicely.

Eat it while its hot. Leftovers are good appetizers cold.

I got this method from an old charter boat captain in Duluth. Works on any kind of trout. I'm going to try it on a bass & pike sometime. (walleyes get fried in a cast iron skillet...that's another thread)
+1.

I use similar process for trout, but also for bluefish, salmon (I find no need to develop a pellicle), perch, etc. The fresh smoked salmon makes a great rillette.

The underlined points are critical.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another vote for Traeger. Only had a few months but love it.
mijoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Take a piece of brown paper like the kind grocery bags are made of and cut it to fit the trout fillet. Wet it until it is soaked and place the trout fillet on it skin side down. I don't brine the fish at all, just take out a freshly cleaned fillet.

Put a light coating of olive oil on the meat side of the fillet then apply a light sprinkle of lemon pepper and an even lighter sprinkle of garlic powder. I'm sure your favorite sea food seasoning would be good, I like to keep it simple.

Have your smoker preheated to 250 and put it on there (with the paper under the skin) and close the lid. Grab a beverage and pretend your busy while attending it. Keep the lid closed.

How long it takes really depends on the size of your trout fillet. An average fillet from a 5 lb trout takes about an hour, maybe longer. I don't use a thermometer, just take it off the grill when the meat starts to flake and its warm to the touch. Keep it on the wet newspaper and the meat comes off nicely.

Eat it while its hot. Leftovers are good appetizers cold.

I got this method from an old charter boat captain in Duluth. Works on any kind of trout. I'm going to try it on a bass & pike sometime. (walleyes get fried in a cast iron skillet...that's another thread)

I’m curious. The wet brown paper doesn’t catch fire and flame out during the grilling process? I guess it doesn’t, but it seems like it still would, even though it’s wet. Are you cooking with direct or indirect flame?
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thanks for the thought. I hadn't decided what to make in the Egg for Independence Day, and I think I'll join you in that endeavour. There's not much better than beef ribs.
I’ve already picked up my beef ribs for Independence Day. It’s just me and DW this year, due to COVID (I think my daughter has it, so she’s persona non grata for the celebration this year).

I’m going to try something different this time around. I’m planning to toss them on the smoker for about 1-1.5 hrs Thursday afternoon, then give them a quick sear, and toss them in the Sous Vide tank for 48 hours. I’ll make a quick sauce from the jus right before serving. I’m thinking they’ll go very well with some mashed potatoes and rocquette salad.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I’m curious. The wet brown paper doesn’t catch fire and flame out during the grilling process? I guess it doesn’t, but it seems like it still would, even though it’s wet. Are you cooking with direct or indirect flame?
Thanks.
When smoking it is indirect, and at low temps (225-250). Paper would be fine.

A lot of folks wrap their meat in butcher paper after it gets enough smoke, and then finish that way (this would be beef or pork, not the fish)
Old 07-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #67

IMG_8085.JPG
Here are some of my beef ribs. Smoked today and eaten tonight. They were so yummy. Happy 4th everyone.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Attachment 35539
Here are some of my beef ribs. Smoked today and eaten tonight. They were so yummy. Happy 4th everyone.
Just catching up on the beef ribs. Bought a 15# pack at Sam's. Cooked 1/2 about 3 weeks ago. We are finishing the last one tonight (one rib feeds both of us).

Used apple wood. That is my go to, and works with just about everything. First time doing the beef ribs, but not the last. Taste and texture about the same as really tender brisket, but a LOT easier to get right.

I will do more, for sure.

Next up is a brisket and pork butt for labor day.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:40 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I recently smoked some duck breasts and some sausage. I occasionally order duck from Maple Leaf Farms. I had some duck breasts with and without skin on hand, plus some duck bratwurst that I decided was too boring and thought I’d throw it on the smoker too.

I brined the duck breasts overnight in my usual poultry brine and smoked at 225 with my usual applewood and gourmet pellet blend. It was quite quick, maybe just a bit over an hour. They came out fantastic - tasted like French Magret fumé which is a family fave and almost impossible to find in the US.

The sausage was much improved. The smoking enhanced the herbs in the sausage as well as adding the smoke flavor, and miraculously they didn’t dry out.

This is the easiest way I’ve ever done duck breasts, and the duck breasts with skin rendered little fat, so you got the nice smoked fat as well. The skinless breasts, which were much larger for some reason, came out wonderful too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0FAD8E3A-0929-4572-BDDF-94396CD74006.jpeg (121.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpeg 291569EC-C37C-463F-B00F-906FCC33F33B.jpeg (163.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a Pit Boss pellet smoker. Love it!
Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I recently smoked some duck breasts and some sausage. I occasionally order duck from Maple Leaf Farms. I had some duck breasts with and without skin on hand, plus some duck bratwurst that I decided was too boring and thought I’d throw it on the smoker too.

I brined the duck breasts overnight in my usual poultry brine and smoked at 225 with my usual applewood and gourmet pellet blend. It was quite quick, maybe just a bit over an hour. They came out fantastic - tasted like French Magret fumé which is a family fave and almost impossible to find in the US.

The sausage was much improved. The smoking enhanced the herbs in the sausage as well as adding the smoke flavor, and miraculously they didn’t dry out.

This is the easiest way I’ve ever done duck breasts, and the duck breasts with skin rendered little fat, so you got the nice smoked fat as well. The skinless breasts, which were much larger for some reason, came out wonderful too.
Does that look good! I been considering getting a smoker for wild game smoking. I bet pheasant would be absolutely wonderful.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

The Cookshack is fabulous for electric smokers and you can’t go wrong with it. I had one for about ten years and just gave it to my BIL

I moved to a Weber Grill with a slow n sear, a bbq fan, and a FireBoard for temperature control. I get even more temp control than the Cookshack can provide and get real smoke flavor.

Don’t get me wrong, if you want true set and forget, the Cookshack can’t be beat. For a little more effort (mainly adding water to a reservoir and adding coals) the Weber setup is very close in terms of convenience. I prefer the true wood burning flavor tho
986racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986racer View Post
The Cookshack is fabulous for electric smokers and you can’t go wrong with it. I had one for about ten years and just gave it to my BIL

I moved to a Weber Grill with a slow n sear, a bbq fan, and a FireBoard for temperature control. I get even more temp control than the Cookshack can provide and get real smoke flavor.

Don’t get me wrong, if you want true set and forget, the Cookshack can’t be beat. For a little more effort (mainly adding water to a reservoir and adding coals) the Weber setup is very close in terms of convenience. I prefer the true wood burning flavor tho

I have a Cookshack and it's been great! It's the SM025.
https://cookshack.com/collections/re...ic-smoker-oven
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pit Boss pellet smoker here. Absolutely love it!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Smoked a couple of chickens in my pellet smoker today. Sooo good!
Old 09-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I finally took my Mastercraft smoker outside today and cleaned it well.

Next up: Really meaty, small boned baby back ribs. I'll smoke'em a couple of hours and finish them off on a charcoal grill.

In the Deep South, we live on slow cooked barbeque. That's different from smoked meats. The smoke is preferable when meat renders it's fat directly on hardwood coals.

We prefer to cook pork for the most part because it's so tender, flavorful and it's affordable. I'm not about to smoke beef that costs $9.99-$12.99 a pound when I can get pork shoulder for $1.50 a pound and it's so easy to deal with.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I’ve got a CampChef pellet grill. They work just like the Traeger. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, and use it all the time. I don’t grill on it, only smoke. For super hot searing, I use my TruInfrared propane grill. The Traegers and CampChefs have their limits in terms of high temp work, but you can’t beat the pellet grill for smoking.
+1 on Camp Chef. I have mine for a few months now and really enjoy the results for smoking briskets pork butts, and ribs. With kids, we are also enjoying store-bought pizzas and smoking them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so. By doing this and adding a few "gourmet" toppings you get a wood-fired pizza experience.
ospreyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

+2 on Camp Chef vs Traeger, primarily because I can empty the ashes from the burn pot without waiting for the thing to cool and then half-dissasembling it.

For people who are not familiar, pellet grills are basically smoke-filled ovens. Not really grills. For searing, CC has a couple of options that fasten to the side of the smoker. I have the "sear station" and it is great. We use it for cooking hamburgers as well as for searing steaks.

Some brands have sort of makeshift attempts to provide grilling, but I am skeptical. Not hampered by any experience however.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

The ash clean out is definitely a big plus on the CC. I have had pretty good success with the internal slide that allows some grilling for burgers, although I am sure the propane grill attachment gets a better sear. The one thing that has been a challenge is chicken. Even if I try to hit with a high temp near the end of the smoke, it still never achieves a crispy skin.

Any tips on how to smoke and get some crispiness on chicken in a pellet smoker?
ospreyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyjp View Post
... Any tips on how to smoke and get some crispiness on chicken in a pellet smoker?
Propane torch? (https://www.bernzomatic.com/) or overpriced torch? (https://foodal.com/kitchen/general-k...tchen-torches/)

I am not much of a chicken fan though I eat a fair amount as a KCBS BBQ judge. The comp cooks are usually working with some variety of smoky oven, so little if any of the comp chicken is crispy. Usually it is gooped up with sauce, which costs one point on my judging slip.

I have slightly modified a Weber Performer with a raised charcoal grate and a Vortex-wannabe made from a stainless bowl used to contain the charcoal. A half hour screwing around to get a good hot coal bed and a few minutes of skin-down chicken will crispen the skin. If there is any sugary sauce on the skin, though, it is game over. Charred black.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote