Reducing Taxes: Which State did you move to?

I cannot fathom why anyone would subject themselves to the misery of living someplace as crowded as NYC, but obviously ~8 million other people like it there since they stay. Likewise I suppose many of them cannot fathom why anyone would choose to live in West Virginia or New Mexico.

Growing up in NYC, the attitude was "Anything west of the Hudson River is camping out."

Thanks to my Dad being someone for whom the grass was always greener someplace else by the time I finished High School, I had lived in NYC (Manhattan and later Queens), NJ near NYC, CT near NYC, upstate NY, South FL, and South Central GA. Looking back, it was at least educational experiences, as well as often stressful.

In my career, I started in Long, Island, then CT, then TX, and finally GA for the last 25 yrs until ER 3 yrs ago. Will likely never leave GA. The state tax of 6% is not a big deal, with deductions, I paid more like 3.5% last yr. Once I turn 65, most retirement income will be exempt from state tax anyway. There is also reduction at age 62.

Overall COL is what would drive a move, not taxes alone. And even that might not as I am very happy here lifestyle wise.

....My condo is on the second floor, and there is one guy my age on the 3rd floor. To play the odds, if I were choosing again I would take an elevator building because I don't want to be on the 1st floor, for security reasons, and an elevator makes a higher floor age-safe. ....

When we bought our 2nd floor condo (no elevators) in 2016 when we were 61.... I figure that by the time we can no longer negotiate the stairs that we will have moved on to something else... if not, then we can always sell this and buy another condo more suitable to our needs... but hopefully that won't be for another 10+ years... in the meantime we have a much nicer view being 8' higher.

Groceries and most other things and the stairs have been no problem. I do now draw the line at furniture... I've told DW that if it doesn't include delivery then don't buy it... so she goes and finds a nice but big china cabinet in nice condition at The Restore for $25 on Black Friday... that cost $75 for delivery... still a good deal of $100 delivered and an interesting conversation starter when guests complement the china cabinet.

Ok so moved from Boston to rural NH 10 years ago, not for lower taxes but less congestion, slower pace, wildlife ... still close to the kids and grandkids in MA.

We have 150 acres with a quarter-mile of river frontage and a large house, our property taxes are around $850/year.

When I was working we owned homes in many high-cost cities. Our vision for retirement was to live rural. We have been at this location for fourteen years, so far we enjoy it [even the winters].

So where in Maine do you live to only pay $850 a year in property tax on 150 acres plot with a large house by the river?

We're tentatively planning to redomesticate to Florida in 2020.... I say planning because the savings are not that significant as state income tax and property tax savings are partially offset by higher car insurance.... wondering whether it is worth the effort for only ~$2,400 a year.... though OTOH I've done more to save less. :confused:

ETA: Ours wouldn't really be a move as we currently spend about half year in Vermont and Florida.... it would just be moving voting, driver's license, car registrations, etc and being careful about not spending 180 days in Vermont.

I'm with you on this one. I've done the math and for me, what I'd save in NY State income taxes is not enough to make me want to set up home somewhere else. If I do, it will likely be in Florida, and I will likely rent. However, I live on a nice lake in NY State, have no plans to sell that home, at least not for a decade or more (assuming DW and I stay healthy and hardy enough to enjoy the lake lifestyle), and the rules for avoiding NY State income tax if you own a domicile in the state are convoluted, I'll probably just continue to snowbird a few months in Florida, and take my NY tax lumps. I'm used to it by now. Been taking those lumps for decades.

We moved from NY to TX. In NY, our income tax was ~6%, our property taxes were ~$7K, and sales tax was almost 7%. In TX, no income tax, our property taxes are ~$1.5K, and sales tax is ~8%. In TX we have a larger home and more property.

My family is all here which was a driving consideration. However, I like where we live (semi-rural) and our life here. It was too crowded where we lived in NY. We're about an hour outside of Dallas, so we have good access to higher end entertainment if we choose. The Dallas Symphony Orchestra comes to our town three times per year and we have season tickets to see them.

We've paid less in taxes the last five years from living here, so that is a positive in our books. We'd have to spend a LOT for the sales tax to even get to the difference we pay in property tax.

Moved from Louisiana to Florida when we RE.

I'm a native Floridian and we've lived in DC, VA, AL & LA while doing the w*ork thing.

The lack of a state income tax was a MAJOR reason. I just hope that all y'all moving in will vote like a Floridian and not mess up a good thing.

So where in Maine do you live to only pay $850 a year in property tax on 150 acres plot with a large house by the river?

I live in Argyle township, Maine.

My land is in 'treegrowth' status which means it is mostly dense forest, in this county treegrowth land is taxed $1.05 per acre.

My house is 2400 sq ft inside, though its total footprint is 4900 sq ft, it is taxed $600/year.

This township is 'unorganized' [as is the majority of towns in Maine] we pay our property taxes directly to the state. Because our town does not have its own tax assessor.

Maine has a grid 'plate' drawn like a checkerboard of all 986 townships. 432 Organized [or incorporated] townships, and 554 Unorganized Townships with much lower taxes. [432 + 554 = 986].

Hadenuff, we lived in upstate New York when young for awhile and it’s beautiful. Living on a lake is awesome.

Absolutely unbelievable, but maybe it is because they HAVE to...…. and they have no choice. No cheapsville for us. After all it is America, you get what you pay for and you buy your standard of living accordingly.

+1

Where to live? Certainly not Hawaii. I can’t imagine living in a state where going anyplace else requires a boat or a plane. But, it’s obviously Paradise for many.

Where to live? Certainly not Hawaii. I can’t imagine living in a state where going anyplace else requires a boat or a plane. But, it’s obviously Paradise for many.

That is not so bad, it is the silly cost of homes that severely limits the quality of life.

like marthas vineyard or nantucket?

nice places

I live in Argyle township, Maine.

My land is in 'treegrowth' status which means it is mostly dense forest, in this county treegrowth land is taxed $1.05 per acre.

My house is 2400 sq ft inside, though its total footprint is 4900 sq ft, it is taxed $600/year.

This township is 'unorganized' [as is the majority of towns in Maine] we pay our property taxes directly to the state. Because our town does not have its own tax assessor.

Maine has a grid 'plate' drawn like a checkerboard of all 986 townships. 432 Organized [or incorporated] townships, and 554 Unorganized Townships with much lower taxes. [432 + 554 = 986].

Thanks for clarifying. I was looking on maine.gov web page and found all the details regarding the townships locations (map), the State property tax rates for each county and the States land use programs.

Moved from Louisiana to Florida when we RE.

I'm a native Floridian and we've lived in DC, VA, AL & LA while doing the w*ork thing.

The lack of a state income tax was a MAJOR reason. I just hope that all y'all moving in will vote like a Floridian and not mess up a good thing.

Bolded by me - does that mean voting the "right" way?:cool:

I moved to Nevada 22 years ago for a job. My husband is a native. We have very low property taxes and no state income tax. I love the mild 4 seasons and all the festivals, etc so always lots to do. Plus we have a great friend network. I wouldn’t move for tax reasons. Someone on another forum did and a year later still unhappy.

Isn't it really hot in Nevada?

HAHAHA convincing the husband to move out of this HOUSE has been impossible for me so far! We've been here since 1978. Though I live in a high tax state (MD), it would be hard for me to move to another state. Md is very progressive in many areas and we have some of the best medical institutions in the country (Johns Hopkins, University of MD Hospital). My friends are here, my doctors are here, the scenery is called America in Miniature and I've grown to love this state. If I outlive my husband, I plan to move to a senior living community in PA, but it's only about an hour from where I live now.

We moved from Georgia to Alabama--more to get away from Atlanta's traffic than to save on taxes. We seldom experience much of any rush hour in a city of 140,000.

Until RMD's kick in, we pay no state income taxes. 5% thereafter. Property taxes on our $400K lake house are $1,100 a year. My main home property taxes are $0 due to my wife being disabled.

Home prices on existing houses are as low as any in the U.S. We find food prices substantially lower than in surrounding states, especially in large cities. Healthcare is as good as there is in our city and in the three cities of 1 million people within 2 hours away.

We love having 4 seasons and virtually no snow in the winters. Our Summers are really hot, but we're setup to handle the heat.

But it's the quality of life that we enjoy. 2 colleges in town with 14,000 students bring culture. We're also have a thriving musical and theatre scene. Our homes are very beautiful (for the $ spent) and much larger than we deserve. It's nice having 2 Robert Trent Jones golf courses on our street and another RTJ course across the lake at the yacht club. We just live very big on a modest budget.

Where in Alabama? How hot are the summers? Humid?

We bought a home in SW Florida to escape the winters and for the lifestyle. Eleven years later (2018), we became residents for the income tax savings and property tax inflation protection.

Indiana more than doubled our property taxes for giving up the homestead deduction. We still come out well ahead.

7 years to figure it out!

I live in Northern Virginia right outside of DC. Very expensive place to live and very congested. We're not sure where to move...somewhere on the east coast with lower taxes, lower cost of living, and hopefully less people! Starting to hate the cold, so will look at Florida and start working out way up until we find something that clicks.

Headed back to Arizona (again). Nebraska is # 1 again, in high taxes, floods, blizzard warnings and now tornados. We built in Az in Estrella Mountains in 2017, sold, came back for our old jobs, they didn't like us anymore, purchased new home in the same place and move when its done in the Fall of 2019. NOT the way I thought it should be done but hope to settle the WEST for good.

Back
Top Bottom