Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been working out in the early AM 4-6 times/wk for 30 years, but still, it would be so easy to just stop and fall out of the habit. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is that I do not allow myself ANY excuses for skipping a workout. Unless I'm really ill or injured, I will get up and do something, even if it's just a light workout. If you get in the mind set that the workout MUST get done, it's a lot easier to just do it and not think too much about it.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I put it on my calendar and commit to it. Sometimes, like today, it doesnít happen when I planned, but then I go before dinner. Our neighborhood gym is a one-minute walk from our front door. When Iím not feeling motivated, I tell myself I can just go for 30 minutes, and I almost always stay at least an hour once I get going.

I donít set an alarm most days and while I agree that itís easiest if I get my workout in first thing, it just depends what I have going on whether that will work. I often go later in the morning, around 11, or mid to late afternoon.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:38 AM   #23
Administrator

We have an exercise class we go to twice a week at 10:30, another 2 days we go down and do weights, about 9am. The gym is a half mile downhill so we are warmed up by the time we arrive.

Where we live is hilly and very walkable so we will often forego the gym for a long walk (5 to 10 miles) either from the house or drive a few miles to the coast and walk the cliff tops. Whether it is the gym or the outdoors a cafe is always part of the routine. (Iím in one now, halfway through a good walk)

Sunday afternoons I usually walk 3 miles with my BIL down to a couple of pubs but I think 2 pints of ale more than wipes out any calories burned on the walk, but I love the social aspect.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My other advice is to find exercise you enjoy. You'll be more likely to stick to it. And set reasonable goals, so you'll be rewarded when you hit them.
Big +1
I play Pickleball 5 to 6 days a week for up to 3 hours daily. This is my substitute for the gym. Soon I will do some minor strength training at home to supplement overall.

Love the social interaction, ego satisfaction, cardiovascular aspects all wrapped into one exercise.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #25

I looked at when I have the most energy and that is first thing in the morning. No snooze bar, I get up, get out and workout. Usually 60-90 minutes indoor cycling, walking or weights. On weekends in good weather I will ride outdoors 2-3 hours. I do it almost everyday. Travel or really sick days being the exception.
I also use a watch to track my progress and if you use an Apple it acts a bit like a coach guiding you on your progress and giving you virtual rewards for hitting your goals.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #26

Jerry1, Get yourself a gym buddy. My father found someone at the gym that goes the same time that he does. They plan their workout times so you are forced to be there. Make sure you do exercises that you enjoy. My mother goes to yoga and Pilates with a friend.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #27

Like others here I enjoy exercising so it's easy for me to get out there almost every day. If you're not quite as enthused, here are some practical suggestions, one or more of which may be of help:
Attitude - like starting a diet to lose weight, the first day can be hard. So, just do something on day 1, vow to do something the next day, etc.
With time, you my find one or more particular exercises are more fun than others. Focus on doing more of those enjoyable ones.
If time of day is an issue.......find a time of day you like more!
There are many online training logs. Using them can be inspirational to keep going. For example, I strive to do an AVERAGE of one activity a day. You may want a lower goal, but the training log can motivate you to achieve that.
If walking/running/bicycling is one of your goals, find a nice big park to do it, even if it means driving there. It can be a LOT prettier, and motivating, to run or walk in a park than on streets.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Right now I go down to the basement and use the elliptical....on 'interval' with somewhat high settings. When the weather improves I'll likely give the outdoor stairs another shot.

DW swims three or more time a week.

(Oh, following the recommendation of a poster here, we've purchased, and both use, a vibration machine.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Jerry1,
Kudos for trying to make health a priority. Getting and staying fit is a lifestyle that after you get into the rhythm it's becomes just a part of what and who you are. Getting started with a trainer is a great idea. Learn basics of how to work out correctly, safely and get results. After some commitment you will begin to see the benefits and that is a incredible motivator! Enjoy your work outs, it's something that I always feel better about when I complete a challenging ride or strength training session. If you miss a few sessions, it's OK. Just go back the next day. One obstacle I hear often from my workout buddies is that when they miss a workout or two, they get discouraged or just don't get back to the gym. If you miss, just go back the next day :-)
Everybody is different and you will find what works best for you, just keep on going. I have a routine I like but I do adjust it every few months and try some different things to keep it interesting. I'm pretty fit now and I plan to stay that way. In brief, I cycle ~100 miles weekly in the summer, ~60 miles in the winter. I use an awesome set up with a smart bike trainer by a company Wahoo, and an app Zwift. It's a virtual cycle riding app and lots of fun riding with people all over the world. I also have a strength routine I do about 4/5 days a week. And of course I maintain a healthy diet.
Best of luck to you with your fitness quest!
ttvjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do cardio for 45 minutes every day with very few exceptions and have for about 30 years..

The turning point for me was buying my own equipment so that I don't have to leave the house. I used to belong to a gym, but found that having to take the time to drive there PLUS work out was a big reason I wasn't going consistently. (Small thing I know, but for me, a key reason I wasn't working out actively).

I've had a Precor Elliptical for ~20 years and a bunch of ski machines before that. Used the Precor almost every single day during that time, until the doc told me I needed to cross-train as I was killing my knees with the repetition. Recently bought a Precor Spin Bike (way better IMHO than a Peleton, but that's a subject for another thread) and now alternate between the two daily. We also have a weight machine, but while DW uses it I rarely do. (More into cardio to keep myself from getting overly porky).

It's also a heck of a lot easier in my experience to exercise first thing in the AM. Once you get settled into your day, there's any number of other things that can get in the way - or, you just don't feel like it at that point.

Might be worth investing in some home gear so that you can work out without leaving the house..and do it first thing in the morning if you can. I did both and probably work out at least 350+ days out of 365, every single year..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
probably not of use to most but I sign up for marathons and such which is a huge incentive to run regularly,otherwise I'll suffer a lot more in the race and also be unhappy/embarrassed by my time.
And it doesn't have to be marathons. My city has a very large corporate athletic competition every spring/summer and I still compete as a retiree. They love me because I'm up for the harder events (3-mile bike ride, mile run, half-mile run, swim meets where you have to show up in public in a swimsuit) where there's very little competition in my age group (65-69) and I rack up points easily. Even signing up for a 5K can be motivating if you're a beginner. I'm also motivated by calorie burn- about 600 calories for a workout according to the machines. I like food!

My schedule is different from most. I work out every day with rare exceptions. I hate early-AM workouts. I'll do them if I have to but my "sweet spot" is late morning. I can get some housecleaning and Internet-surfing done and then head out. I usually run a few errands on the way there or back- pick up my mail at the PO (I have a PO Box), the library, the grocery store, etc. and then have a late lunch. This works better for me because I get bored during long afternoons.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

After retiring from the work force working for someone else the gym became my job with me reaping the benefits. I do not have a set time that I go for the day but try to do it after a couple cups of coffee while checking some of my favorite web sites (ER) then maybe light breakfast. If I have to blow snow or have and appointment then it I will go after lunch I like my gym because of the variety it has to offer so I don't get bored doing the same thing every day. I feel the gym is a must for me because my eating habits are not the best. Another push for me to get to the gym is I'm frugal and if I spend $450 annually I'm going to get my moneys worth. The more I go the better the deal! Keep variety in your gym routine!
Steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #33

For me, reading your posts Jerry, I think my hurdles would be that you have placed exercise behind getting to the gym - even though it's close. Also, the "first thing" idea - would be a non-starter for me. Also, for me if a habit isn't 5-6 days a week, it's not gonna stick. So 3 would never happen.

Again, for me, what would work, is to commit to doing "something" almost every day, before lunch. And that give you mental flexibility

Somedays, that something can be just a 20 minute walk
With the gym only a half mile away, on other days, walk there, do 15-20 mins and then walk home (or just 5 mins if you really aren't into it, you are there after all, and then it's really easy to talk yourself into another 5 mins once you've started)
Put alerts on your calendar (even if you don't normally use one) - block the time

I don't eat breakfast besides a long slow coffee while I wake up, but I like to get a run in most mornings usually around 10-11 ish.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have no schedule for exercise. Most of the year I play a lot of golf, walk the dog and ride my bike. But this time of the year when its cold and rainy I slack off a bit. Probably do need to set a schedule and stick to it. I can always ride my indoor bike and have some weights I can use. Maybe I will start tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #35
gone traveling

I alternate days of 4 mile walks & 40 minutes of home exercise. Probably miss 1 day/wk. Times of day are all over the place around other things scheduled & weather for walks. Just ingrained exercise habit starting in late 20s. I still don't like it.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I used to run before going to work, cycle early in the morning, and back when I was a young guy of 73 I've been known to walk over to the outside stairs at 4 a.m.

Now I'm slower.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have always been a very early AM person. I still get up without an alarm around 4:45 am. (I am asleep at 9 pm, lol!) I love the early morning. And, like others, if I do not exercise first thing in the morning, it doesn't happen. One change since FIRE, though, is that I relax with some coffee for a while. When I worked, I had to hustle right to the treadmill.

I've had the same inclined pedal treadmill (i.e. no plug, I turn it with my foot power!) in my bedroom for a couple of decades. It's relatively easy to turn on the television (previously it was some On Demand program, now I can wait for a news program) and treadmill away.

I haven't succeeded in any other exercise program (other than ladies' pushups, which I can usually manage on the same days I treadmill). I dropped out of every gym program I signed up for, even if I paid money. I hated the gym! I hated transporting myself to the gym. I hated the noise, the wiping down of machines, the heat - or the cold.

My challenge is to somehow find a way to add some strength training and balance training. I haven't succeeded yet.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #38

My attitude is that once you retire, your only JOB is to stay healthy. You only get out of fitness, is what you put into fitness. You'll find the time if you want it.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #39

Treading water and light weight lifting (along with walking my lab for an hour) seems to work for me. I can feel the difference in my abdominal, leg, neck and arm muscles when I get lazy about treading. I don't use a weight belt which forces me to work harder in deep water. I tread for an hour, water running, twisting around and use my legs without arm support for part of it. It helps stability as well. Full body workout.

The light weights for my bones.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #40

Haven't been to the gym in many years.

My main and most enjoyable exercise is running. Most of the time that's just around my neighborhood, which is fairly quiet and has sidewalks. I've found that the best time is between 8 and 10 in the morning, since the kids are in school and most people have already gone to w*rk. By then I've already had a couple of cups of coffee and I'm fully awake.

I also have a treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, and some free weights at home.