Regular Exercise, How do you do it.

I used to play a lot of sports as a kid but my corporate career took a lot of my flexibility away and I am working on getting it back now that I reached FIRE last year.

Three things have worked or me:

1. Read the book the Power of Habit and you will see how important it is to stick to a schedule, make it a daily habit, and how to reinforce it. As part of what the book says:

2. Find a time to exercise that works for your schedule and stick to it. If you do not like mornings then fine but find a time and be consistent.

3. Try to do exercise you enjoy. It does not have to be a slog.

4. Reward yourself if you exercise - make it something that feels like a real reward and do not give yourself this reward unless you exercise.

I had the same space at home problem (got rid of a Bowflex) and I use resistance bands, an adjustable dumbbell and body weight exercises. Never heard of TRX, looks VERY nice. If I ever get bored with my simple setup, might have to look at TRX. Thanks.

Here's a link to TRX if anyone is interested:

https://www.trxtraining.com/

I've used it at the gym and it's very compact. One thing I really like it for is squats. I can go really deep in my squat and keep my weight on my heels and my back perpendicular to the floor. Just body weight and a little help with the arms, but very good form and man do I feel it. Also like it with lunges. I like how it allows me to stabilize myself and keep good form, which I was having trouble with until I was shown this by the trainer I'm currently using.

Here's a video on a TRX squat:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. My take away is that this is just something I have to do, tough it out, fake it 'til you make it - i.e. form a habit. Frankly, not something I've been good at over the course of my life, but I get it. Another thing this thread reinforced from my first personal trainer is that this is something to be grateful for. I really do need to keep that in mind. I've been working out more these past several months than anytime in my past and while not where I need to be, I do need to remind myself that I'm lucky to be able to be in relatively good shape. I don't need to look any further than some of the other guys in my immediate family to see that I can do things many cannot. I need to keep that in mind and reinforce that it doesn't come for free and that it's a great benefit, even if brought about by a small sacrifice. Thanks for the pep talk all. I needed that.

DW just came back from the pool.....she didn't feel too good earlier, but went anyway. Said she had one of her best swims!

I'd previously told her that, back in the day when I could still run, I'd experienced both a) dragging myself out and then having a great run, but also b) feeling like I was going to have a superb run, and having it turn into a dud.

Moral is: Even if you feel like crap...give it a try....you might just be surprised. (I had more 'a's than 'b's.)

feeling like I was going to have a superb run, and having it turn into a dud.)

Ah yes. Brings back memories of going for a run on a calm winter day, light snow falling. All was well until I was sideswiped by a skidding UPS truck.

DW just came back from the pool.....she didn't feel too good earlier, but went anyway. Said she had one of her best swims!

I'd previously told her that, back in the day when I could still run, I'd experienced both a) dragging myself out and then having a great run, but also b) feeling like I was going to have a superb run, and having it turn into a dud.

Moral is: Even if you feel like crap...give it a try....you might just be surprised. (I had more 'a's than 'b's.)

Absolutely true in my experience. I've always followed a guideline I read long ago by some Runner's World columnist. When you don't feel like going out for a run, just plan on doing one easy mile. By the time you've done that you'll know whether you can continue or not. If not, just turn around and go home. You've still got two miles under your belt. Nine times out of ten that first mile invigorated me enough to keep going, so I think it's a pretty good system.

Just do it

I wake up without an alarm, so this is not work.

I wake up, get dressed, have a pee and brush my teeth, drink a glass of water and then put on my shoes. At that point I have been awake about 5 or 10 mins. I walk out the door and keep walking for about an hour. I wander all over the place, over hill, down by the train tracks, through the park, past both the high school and primary school, sometimes I even wander down the main street if I am over that way. I walk briskly and when I get home I am tired and happy. The earlier I wake, the nicer the walk.

Easy, just do it mate.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to have discipline to be regular, am following along

3 times a week for 40 minutes. Wife goes with me twice a week. We have free black membership with Planet Fitness using our Medicare Advantage BCBS. I only use weight machines for year and half now. Getting stronger. In summer I only go twice a week.

Wake up when you naturally wake up without an alarm...have a nice shower and breakfast, watch some TV. An hour later give or take, go to a mid to high-end gym, the nicest you can afford, listen to some good music while working out. Afterwards use the dry sauna or steam room, drink a nice smoothie, and listen to some more music or a podcast on your way home. Do this 3-4x a week and enjoy life!

We find that we don’t have much interest in the gym.. we also like to relax in the morning and take time with breakfast etc.. surf the web, check the markets etc. Around 10am we go for a 3ish mile walk and then at home we do one of the daily exercises on this YouTube low impact HIIT session. If you keep this up daily for a couple of months daily the results are quite good.. also it’s a lotta fun to do.. only 20 mins per daily session.. it’s best to take it easy in the beginning as there may be some stiffness in unused muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8aDgq61xeX2EZcmj858tsRmwwkeZ9mFG

I think if the exercise you choose to do feels like work it makes it much more difficult to keep motivated..

Thanks for posting this link. I brought my I-Pad to the gym this morning and did one of the 20 minute routines as the cardio warm-up before my (light) weight lifting routine. It kicked my (74 year old) butt and I'm going to incorporate them into my regular exercise program in which I do a variety of different things 5-6 days per week. I see these not only as a good cardio warm-up but also as stand-alone work out or, as you do, in combination with a nice walk. I'll also see if I can get my wife on board.

We find that we don’t have much interest in the gym.. we also like to relax in the morning and take time with breakfast etc.. surf the web, check the markets etc. Around 10am we go for a 3ish mile walk and then at home we do one of the daily exercises on this YouTube low impact HIIT session. If you keep this up daily for a couple of months daily the results are quite good.. also it’s a lotta fun to do.. only 20 mins per daily session.. it’s best to take it easy in the beginning as there may be some stiffness in unused muscles.

I think if the exercise you choose to do feels like work it makes it much more difficult to keep motivated..

Thanks for posting this link. I brought my I-Pad to the gym this morning and did one of the 20 minute routines as the cardio warm-up before my (light) weight lifting routine. It kicked my (74 year old) butt and I'm going to incorporate them into my regular exercise program in which I do a variety of different things 5-6 days per week. I see these not only as a good cardio warm-up but also as stand-alone work out or, as you do, in combination with a nice walk. I'll also see if I can get my wife on board.

I agree. I also looked at the videos and they are a good reminder that a lot of things can be done at home without weights.

That’s great, glad you enjoyed it. We try do it 7 days a week and found that after a few days it got a lot easier/less painful [emoji3]. Since each session targets different parts of the body the entire series gives you a great overall workout and tones you up over time. We really like it.

Like many I’ve settled into the wake up when I wake up, have breakfast, go to gym an hour or so later.

There are often times I don’t really want to go, but I tell myself I don’t have anything else better to do, working out 3-5 times a week is better than working and it is my “job” now and really, if I don’t I’ll be dead 5-10 years ahead of schedule most likely.

I can’t remember a time I’ve regretted going after I’d already gone.

Two tips:

- Resistance training (lift weights or using the machines) is probably more important to get in there than long form cardio....we all lose muscle as we get older and pumping iron does help cardio. Reverse is also true, so try to do cardio too of course.

- If you are going to a public gym you can do a search in Google for “Gym Name City” and look at the results. Expand the little arrow and you’ll see the busy times for that gym (or any place, we use this for restaurants too). You can try to time your visit for when they are not as busy this way.

And what helps me too like others is I listen to an audiobook. I used to do podcasts, but they were finicky and so many have commercials in them or they talk about mundane stuff too much. Whereas a good audiobook makes the time go faster. I actually listen to it in the car on the way there too.

....then at home we do one of the daily exercises on this YouTube low impact HIIT session. ....

I just downloaded all 5 routines to my iPad and plan on giving them a try! Wonder how many more of these style (low impact, but divided into short, daily routines for different muscles)...I suppose many.

Though are these really HIIT? I just scrubbed through the video and it didn’t seem like it was high intensity for a short wile (like 20 seconds) followed buy low for a longer wile (for instance, 100 seconds after that 20 seconds). Regardless, they looked interesting to do. Thanks!

I just downloaded all 5 routines to my iPad and plan on giving them a try! Wonder how many more of these style (low impact, but divided into short, daily routines for different muscles)...I suppose many.

Though are these really HIIT? I just scrubbed through the video and it didn’t seem like it was high intensity for a short wile (like 20 seconds) followed buy low for a longer wile (for instance, 100 seconds after that 20 seconds). Regardless, they looked interesting to do. Thanks!

I don't know if there is a formal definition of HIIT. But, as noted in Post 86 above, I did the first of the 5 yesterday. I was planning to do the 2nd today but no way! I'm a sore puppy today, especially in my thighs/hamstrings. And I'm a regular spinner, rower, elliptical user, hiker and very moderate (including lower body) weight lifter/weight machine user. So I'd certainly call it high intensity. I was able to manage an hour walk/hike today but that's about it. Anytime I sit down for any period of time and try to stand up it's a real effort. When I'm able to do them again in a day it two, I'm going to take it a little easier.

I hate gyms so maybe my version of exercise isn't what you're asking about.

I inherited a dog from my grandson. We go to the dog park almost daily. Started that when I tore a tendon & fractured my ankle last year. No more hiking. But I can walk there and in the trails near my home. Each walk is 1-2 miles twice a day. He likes to run so I have to speed walk to keep up. Then once inside the park I'll toss the ball for 15-20 minutes. And chase him to get it back. I do get winded

On trips my favorite activity is kayaking and walking off trails.

Didn't read all the posts, but if you are on Medicare, you could be eligible for the Silver Sneakers program which offers seniors free health club membership activities in your neighborhood. I'm not old enough yet, but my friends have all mentioned it and speak very highly of it.

After I stopped working, improving my health was a priority.

My morning routine is now a habit. I wake up between 6-7am. I eat a leisurely breakfast and browse the web, drinking my coffee for an hour or two. At 9:30am, we do a combination of P90x or Insanity. We have a movie theater at home so we blast the sound to help motivate.

After working out, we eat casually lunch. I purposely block my mornings avoiding any appointments or calls.

4 months in, I've lost more than 30lbs and am down to 13% bodyfat. I have never felt more healthy. Working out with DW helps.

I wish to thank all those who have told their stories. As somebody who finds 'working out' to be a rather boring though necessary activity, I am always looking for ways to make exercise a more enjoyable, more efficient, and take less time away from the other activities of the day. I have found some great tips here and am going to outline an updated plan based upon them.

Exercise is probably the one area where we can take tips from smokers.

Smokers don't "Will I or won't I", they just whip out their cigarettes and light 'em up.

Exercise has to become something that you're doing without having to make a conscious decision to do it.

Last edited:
I hired a trainer a couple of years ago. Got tired of paying someone $$$ to count.

Tomorrow is my 1 year of DDPYoga. Mornings are definitely best for me. Becomes a habit. Just follow the App in our spare bedroom. Down 54lbs, lost 4 blood pressure meds, reversed Type 2, A1C now 4.8. You just have to make the schedule and OWN IT. Good luck..

After retiring from the work force working for someone else the gym became my job with me reaping the benefits. I do not have a set time that I go for the day but try to do it after a couple cups of coffee while checking some of my favorite web sites (ER) then maybe light breakfast. If I have to blow snow or have and appointment then it I will go after lunch I like my gym because of the variety it has to offer so I don't get bored doing the same thing every day. I feel the gym is a must for me because my eating habits are not the best. Another push for me to get to the gym is I'm frugal and if I spend $450 annually I'm going to get my moneys worth. The more I go the better the deal! Keep variety in your gym routine!

+1

Back
Top Bottom