Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

My favorite yoga teacher has a you tube channel with great free videos. Search for Mary McCarthy yoga. She has a good website with info about her zoom classes which do have a fee. https://www.mary-mccarthy.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 01:56 AM   #162
Confused about dryer sheets

I am regular to gym in last one year but unfortunately gyms are closed because of Covid.

But so far, ensured I am doing workouts at home. Couple of things which initially helped me to get motivated and continue to do that are..

1. Found athlean-x and subscribed to that workouts which kept me motivated. Ofcourse those are effective and we can do only in gym.
2. Couple of months back, started Intermittent fasting and changed diet. It also kept me going even after gyms were closed.
3. Luckily a week before lockdown, ordered resistance bands which replaced my weights in gym and able to do workouts at home.

I am not a great cardio person so resistance bands are good enough to mimic weights to an extent at home.

Hope I will regularly do workouts (5-6 times a day) after FIRE. Will be entering into FIRE lifestyle next month. Excited about it.
MyObjectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:28 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Running a daily 8k with mask (ok jogging - too slow to be called a run probably) and then a daily 8k bike ride, again with mask. And then I basically sit the rest of the day!
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My problems with gyms is the incessant noise caused by TV's blasting us with loud music and commercials for everything from muscle building drinks to bank credit cards. Then the Zumba and aerobics classes start, blasting more loud music throughout the gym. Add in the grunters and groaners who drop their heavy weights with a huge BANG! Enough! I will exercise at home.

At least 1/2 the people at the gym bring their own portable music with them. Can't the gym owners take a hint?
They're income streams. Fortunately, mine doesn't have TVs blasting (you have to plug your earphones into a machine to get the sound) but there's music interspersed with commercials played through the sound system. Some songs get repeated a lot. At one point there was a commercial for downloads of workout playlists from Apple Music and the clips they played were the same as the ones we were always hering in the gym. Coincidence? I just bought a pair of Bose headphones for when I return to the gym because I've gotten used to listening to podcasts while on my home treadmill. Earbuds weren't enough to drown out the background at the gym.

My late husband once quit a gym when they started renting out space to a Jazzercise group. He called them "the stomp and shout ladies".

As an update: I finally started venturing out on my bike. I'd given up long bike rides because I didn't have anyone to pick me up if I got a flat 8 miles out (well, other than Uber), but now I stick within a shorter radius of the house, going in and out of side streets, etc. so if I have to walk the bike back it's not too long. It feels good to be out on the bike again!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since my gym and golfing options were shut down, I found a couple of personal trainers who have posted enjoyable workout videos of varying lengths. They do enough different moves during the workouts to keep me from getting bored. I will pick a random set of 5/10/20/30 minute videos, with the total workout time dependent on what other physical activities I have planned for the day.

I also mounted my bike on a indoor trainer and found a use for that "it still works fine but where do we really need it?" 32 inch TV, so I can peddle and watch whatever I choose to stream at the same time.

These are definitely helping to keep my weight within my desired range, even with additional lockdown snacking (I try to eat as healthy as possible, but I am far from perfect ).
Old 05-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most of my life have been a runner but also lifted weights fairly regularly. I have never really liked gyms for exercise. Currently, I still run a few days a week but rather than lift weights, I have gone to pushups, crunches, and other exercises that do not require any equipment at all. I am also doing more walking/hiking/kayaking of late as I finally got another pup (Tilly, 6 month old black lab) after losing my previous lab a couple of years ago.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote