Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
probably not of use to most but I sign up for marathons and such which is a huge incentive to run regularly,otherwise I'll suffer a lot more in the race and also be unhappy/embarrassed by my time.

Me too. Not marathons anymore, but setting a goal for any race distance is enough to get me out the door and running. I use a web app "running ahead" where you can put in a training plan and then you get emailed reminders every day of how many miles you need to run. That helps.

The other thing my wife and I do is Boot Camp. With a phone app we can schedule a class and then 'boom' you're committed. They have early (8:30) and later (5:30/6:30) classes. So when I feel like working out, I book a class and then am motivated to go.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfrank232 View Post
Simple.

Pay a personal trainer

If you’re paying, you’ll go

That’s as practical as it gets
+1
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found a class I like. It's lunchtime 3 days a week so thats when I go. Slow coffee. Paperwork/housework/errands. Class lunch. Whatever. Maybe I change clothes, maybe not. Walk after dinner if weather is nice.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

At 69, soon to be 70, I'm not trying for six-packs or anything either, I'm just trying to hang on to what I've got. Another strong incentive is noticing how scary fast the atrophy sets in if I skip even one day, let alone a week.

+1. On how quickly we go downhill if the exercise stops. That is why I strive to avoid injuries. One good injury can undo months of effort. Still it’s better to be a fit person who gets hurt than a feeble person who gets hurt.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whether you go to the gym, or stay home and exercise, the most important thing is to make sure your exercise technique is of proper form. I don't like to correct folks and my gym advertises "no harassment", but so many people get on exercise machines and do the exercise incorrectly. They're like buzz saws going through partial movements and it's no wonder they get hurt or don't get the results they thought they worked for.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:09 AM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

We find that we don’t have much interest in the gym.. we also like to relax in the morning and take time with breakfast etc.. surf the web, check the markets etc. Around 10am we go for a 3ish mile walk and then at home we do one of the daily exercises on this YouTube low impact HIIT session. If you keep this up daily for a couple of months daily the results are quite good.. also it’s a lotta fun to do.. only 20 mins per daily session.. it’s best to take it easy in the beginning as there may be some stiffness in unused muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8tsRmwwkeZ9mFG

I think if the exercise you choose to do feels like work it makes it much more difficult to keep motivated..
onemorehappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:32 AM   #67
gone traveling

I have started to walk the perimeter of my property every day after dinner (we own 5 acres along a creek). It comes out to about 1200 steps to make one trip, which equals just shy of 1/2 a mile. After sitting around all day in a dreary January overcast day, it's refreshing to get some fresh air, and see/hear the sounds of nature. When the temps get into the 50s, I will start riding my Ebike on the road again (usually 10 mile rides), and during the Summer, at least once a week, we take the paddle boards out with my daughter/SIL for an evening.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I have started to walk the perimeter of my property every day after dinner (we own 5 acres along a creek). It comes out to about 1200 steps to make one trip, which equals just shy of 1/2 a mile. After sitting around all day in a dreary January overcast day, it's refreshing to get some fresh air, and see/hear the sounds of nature. When the temps get into the 50s, I will start riding my Ebike on the road again (usually 10 mile rides), and during the Summer, at least once a week, we take the paddle boards out with my daughter/SIL for an evening.
One of the best things about getting up and walking or riding a bike early in the morning is the sunrise and the bird songs. Every morning around here I see and hear something interesting like the Barred Owls, Wood Storks, Ibis, Palm Warblers, Red Shoulder Hawks, etc.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

What works for one may not for another. I alternate cardio and resistance days. For cardio I do rowing, walking and biking (not winter) - usually 30-60 minutes. My feet and knees can’t take running anymore (I used to). I used to have a Bowflex for resistance, now I just use resistance bands, dumbbells and body weight exercises.

I work out at/from home. I know I won’t stick with going to a gym because I don’t want the added time/expense to drive to/from somewhere, worrying about decent clothes, or the added cost. I haven’t experienced it first hand, but I hear users cleaning/wiping down equipment after themselves is often an issue - no thanks.

I work out first thing in the morning, but I don’t get up early to do it. I did when I was working but no need now. I just feel better knowing my workout is done to start the day, and I can shower and clean up after. I don’t want to get involved in the days activities and then figure out when to workout later during the day. Working out later in the day just doesn’t work for me. I tried doing workouts after work years ago, didn’t make sense to me two showers a day.

YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #70

I get up and enjoy my coffee and breakfast (and of course reading this forum) and sit until the rush hour traffic is gone and the gym rats who are employed have run off to their cubicles. Then if I'm running or biking, I'm not fighting traffic, and if I go to the gym for a weight workout, I'm with others like myself instead of the morning crowds.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #71
gone traveling

The time of day you exercise is not as important as ingraining that workout perseverence so it becomes a habit/way of life. Usually when you start to see results from your exercise program, it will become more of a motivating factor to the point you will not want to miss it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorehappycamper View Post
We find that we don’t have much interest in the gym.. we also like to relax in the morning and take time with breakfast etc.. surf the web, check the markets etc. Around 10am we go for a 3ish mile walk and then at home we do one of the daily exercises on this YouTube low impact HIIT session. If you keep this up daily for a couple of months daily the results are quite good.. also it’s a lotta fun to do.. only 20 mins per daily session.. it’s best to take it easy in the beginning as there may be some stiffness in unused muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8tsRmwwkeZ9mFG

I think if the exercise you choose to do feels like work it makes it much more difficult to keep motivated..
Thanks for that link. One of my issues is that since we downsized, there is no room for exercise equipment like a treadmill or a bike so working out at home in the house is problematic. The other thing I’ve been looking into is the TRX system. I use it at the gym and I’m trying to figure out where I might be able to set up a station in my house. Basically though, a body weight workout would be great for those days I don’t want to get out of the house, which is frequently (at least not to go work out).
Old 01-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #73

Winter - normally 3x per week weights and 2-3x cardio on eliptical or treadmill.

Spring-Fall - 3x lifting 2x-3x walking 18 holes.

On Christmas Day my back went out on me and it's taken six weeks to get to 95% so have been out of practice but have done three days of long hard walks in Mexico this week and getting back in shape.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Thanks for that link. One of my issues is that since we downsized, there is no room for exercise equipment like a treadmill or a bike so working out at home in the house is problematic. The other thing I’ve been looking into is the TRX system. I use it at the gym and I’m trying to figure out where I might be able to set up a station in my house. Basically though, a body weight workout would be great for those days I don’t want to get out of the house, which is frequently (at least not to go work out).
I had the same space at home problem (got rid of a Bowflex) and I use resistance bands, an adjustable dumbbell and body weight exercises. Never heard of TRX, looks VERY nice. If I ever get bored with my simple setup, might have to look at TRX. Thanks.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
One of the best things about getting up and walking or riding a bike early in the morning is the sunrise and the bird songs. Every morning around here I see and hear something interesting like the Barred Owls, Wood Storks, Ibis, Palm Warblers, Red Shoulder Hawks, etc.

Cheers!
I would love to take several walks a day starting with an early morning jaunt, but while I'm still w@rking, I am usually clocking in around 5 AM, and having breakfast at my desk....not getting home until mid-late afternoon.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

I used to play a lot of sports as a kid but my corporate career took a lot of my flexibility away and I am working on getting it back now that I reached FIRE last year.

Three things have worked or me:

1. Read the book the Power of Habit and you will see how important it is to stick to a schedule, make it a daily habit, and how to reinforce it. As part of what the book says:

2. Find a time to exercise that works for your schedule and stick to it. If you do not like mornings then fine but find a time and be consistent.

3. Try to do exercise you enjoy. It does not have to be a slog.

4. Reward yourself if you exercise - make it something that feels like a real reward and do not give yourself this reward unless you exercise.
RyanSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I had the same space at home problem (got rid of a Bowflex) and I use resistance bands, an adjustable dumbbell and body weight exercises. Never heard of TRX, looks VERY nice. If I ever get bored with my simple setup, might have to look at TRX. Thanks.
Here's a link to TRX if anyone is interested:

https://www.trxtraining.com/

I've used it at the gym and it's very compact. One thing I really like it for is squats. I can go really deep in my squat and keep my weight on my heels and my back perpendicular to the floor. Just body weight and a little help with the arms, but very good form and man do I feel it. Also like it with lunges. I like how it allows me to stabilize myself and keep good form, which I was having trouble with until I was shown this by the trainer I'm currently using.

Here's a video on a TRX squat:

Old 01-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #78

Thanks for all the replies. My take away is that this is just something I have to do, tough it out, fake it 'til you make it - i.e. form a habit. Frankly, not something I've been good at over the course of my life, but I get it. Another thing this thread reinforced from my first personal trainer is that this is something to be grateful for. I really do need to keep that in mind. I've been working out more these past several months than anytime in my past and while not where I need to be, I do need to remind myself that I'm lucky to be able to be in relatively good shape. I don't need to look any further than some of the other guys in my immediate family to see that I can do things many cannot. I need to keep that in mind and reinforce that it doesn't come for free and that it's a great benefit, even if brought about by a small sacrifice. Thanks for the pep talk all. I needed that.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

DW just came back from the pool.....she didn't feel too good earlier, but went anyway. Said she had one of her best swims!

I'd previously told her that, back in the day when I could still run, I'd experienced both a) dragging myself out and then having a great run, but also b) feeling like I was going to have a superb run, and having it turn into a dud.

Moral is: Even if you feel like crap...give it a try....you might just be surprised. (I had more 'a's than 'b's.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
feeling like I was going to have a superb run, and having it turn into a dud.)
Ah yes. Brings back memories of going for a run on a calm winter day, light snow falling. All was well until I was sideswiped by a skidding UPS truck.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote