Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

You should not try to exercise 3 times a week to start. If you think about making a huge change like that, it will be overwhelming and you will never start.

Pick one day and resolve to do something *fun*. It can be a walk, or a slow bike ride, but it has to very mild. If you find yourself sweating or breathing hard, stop! And do not make any plans beyond that, because it will make it harder to take that first step.

Report back when you have done that one step. Nobody here should encourage you to do anything beyond that.
austin944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I see how much benefit I get back from lifting 20 or so minutes 3 or 4 times a week I sometimes wonder why everyone doesn't do it. I can't think of anything else that provides so much benefit for so little time.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh boy. I'm not retired yet, but I totally can see myself writing this in about 20 months Other than the standard "I hate my job," the other reason I'm looking forward to retirement is to be able to sleep in. My plan is to wake up, have my first meal, mostly likely lunch, and then go to the gym. I'm one of those who can eat and workout, but i'm sure it'll take me about an hour to get out of the house anyway. After the gym, I'll go do whatever else I need to do.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve found two things that help.

1. Find some kind of movement you enjoy, whether that’s tennis or hiking, yoga or weights.

2. “Just show up.” That is to say, there are days I definitely don’t feel like working out but I make myself go to the gym anyway. I’ll decide to just do a little warm up and before I know it I’ve completed a whole workout.
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a lot of good advice here. I’ve worked out for most of my life and I still have mornings where I have to push myself to get it done. Just this week, I looked up workout motivation on YouTube & found a few good videos to get me out of the door. When you exercise is what works for you. Personally, I like getting it done when I wake up, after a coffee & light snack. It makes me feel better for the day.
Like others said, a workout partner can keep you accountable. Knowing that I’m paying for a membership/trainer would be extra motivation as well.
Try to schedule your workouts just like appointments. You wouldn’t miss an appointment if you had one. This is an investment in yourself. Also, lay out your cloths the night before. It’s harder to skip a workout when you get up and they are staring at you.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, it's all about cardio. As part of Medicare Advantage, I get a membership in my local YMCA, which has a very nice gym. I go almost every day, at various times. I use four machines: treadmill, bike, stair climber and rowing machine. I do 10 minutes on each machine, hit and hold my target heart rate. Hit the shower and head home. I get enough weight or resistance work in my daily activities. It's the cardio that's important for physical and mental health.
LA_Newsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Newsboy View Post
It's the cardio that's important for physical and mental health.
Cardio is only part of it. Muscle strength is just as important. There's no known advantage to being weak.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I have all the same issues around exercise, as any normal person: It takes too long, I don't like to get all sweaty, don't like to get up early, but going later's no good because the gym is crowded...I could go on and on.

What keeps me going? The notion that regular exercise is an investment, which I will LOSE if I don't keep doing it. Imagine if your investment balances went down every week unless you exercised! It is such a waste to get fit, only to let your muscles squash back into jelly!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Looking for practical advice. One of the things I wanted to do in retirement but have not been successful at is regular exercise. I’m hoping some of you can help me with some ideas or personal experiences for how you get yourself to exercise on a regular basis. I’d like to get into a groove where I get to the gym 3 days per week.

My goal/desire is to go first thing in the morning, but therein lies one of the hardest problems for me. Getting up early is a lot like work and goes right to one of the best things I’ve found in retirement - getting up and having no commitment to do anything. And, if I don’t get the exercise first thing in the morning, then it rarely happens. Logically morning/first thing is best so I don’t have a lot on my stomach and then I can take my shower for the day right after. Unfortunately, I just don’t do it.

So, did any of you have difficulty getting in the regular exercise routine and how did you get past that and make it work?
I have an elliptical at home. For me, convenience is key. If I had to go to a gym to exercise, I'd never do it.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Who said anything about "weak"? And the most recent science says vigorous cardio is most effective at staying in overall good mental and physical health. Weight training is good for anyone with bone strength or density concerns.
LA_Newsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #111
gone traveling

The way I'm doing it shortly today is putting on my walkers & jacket & come back 4 miles later.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Who said anything about "weak"? And the most recent science says vigorous cardio is most effective at staying in overall good mental and physical health. Weight training is good for anyone with bone strength or density concerns.

Weight training is also great for injury prevention and reduction. If for example you take a spill, more muscle strength protects the joints, etc and you come out of it much better than someone with weak muscles.

But I think a balance between cardio and weights is ideal. Once you develop the strength, one weight workout a week is enough to maintain it.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Who said anything about "weak"? ... Weight training is good for anyone with bone strength or density concerns.
Even those w/o current bone/density issues need to be concerned with that as they age. Strength training is the best (only?) type of exercise that can substantially slow (and reverse) muscle mass loss, bone density issue and loss of strength as people get older. You don't already need to be suffering these issues to benefit from strength training.

Weight training is also good for weight loss. Anyone trying to lose weight really needs to be doing resistance training as it increases resting metabolism (added muscle) and prevents the metabolism slowdown that losing weight leads to.

I know you said you get enough in your daily life, but the trend seems to be a lot of people think cardio is all that is needed in their life and I think that trend does a disservice to many out there. Even if one (cardio or resistance) is more effective than the other, doing both is highly preferred.

In the end, your cardio will help your lifting and your lifting will help your cardio.....and they will both help you live a fuller life.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #114

I do cardio 3 times a week (dance fitness is my love) and light weight training (including balance work) the other 4 days. I stretch every day afterwards. I designed my own exercise program which has a preventative injury focus (I'm a physical therapist). I have my husband on a nearly identical program (except he bikes, he's not into dance, lol!), and he loves it.

All 3 types of exercise are critical to maintaining our function as we age. It is amazing how much strength we lose if we do not work on building it regularly. I for one am hoping to keep myself from getting to the point where I can't get out of a chair unless I use my arms to get up. You would be amazed how many people can't do this as they age (let alone being able to get out of a chair, period!) I also would like to reduce my risk for falling as I age. And, I'd like to keep my posture from becoming stooped. I have seen so many bad things happen to people due to not taking care of their bodies!

I like to exercise late morning, so I have a guideline for myself that I get started by 10 a.m. I do my weight training at home (you don't necessarily need any heavy weights to get a good workout; bands and body resistance and light weights suffice if done correctly). I personally do not like strengthening, so I don't make it ridiculously hard on myself. OK well sometimes I curse at myself when doing planks. I do just enough to try to keep myself injury-free.

I personally find if I don't have to go to the gym I am more consistent. I do have to go to the gym for my dance fitness class.

Pick something you love, and it is easier to stick with. And if you hate lifting weights (like me), at least do light weights. It is better than nothing!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #115

So a bit of an update. I've been going to the gym since I started this thread but not any more excited about it. In an attempt to do better, I just today signed up for two classes that will each meet once a week for 8 weeks starting March 2nd and 5th respectively. I really appreciate the feedback that has been provided. Unfortunately, this is just not something I like but I'll keep "forcing" myself to do it as long as I can because I do believe it's essential to quality of life as we age.

Simple story. My dad and my father in law, both the same age. Dad is very active and at 89 it seems like his mind is starting to slip just a bit. FIL didn't make it to 85 and his last five years were miserable. He could barely move and it was painful to watch it. Of course some of it was the disease but he could have handled that much better if he wasn't so far gone (overweight and out of shape). So I did lock in a lesson. My mind is in it, but my heart needs to come forth and lock in positive changes. That's the real question - how do you do that?
Old 02-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
It is amazing how much strength we lose if we do not work on building it regularly.
I've noticed that, and how fast the atrophy sets in if I skip a week or two at the gym is downright scary. Now I go regularly in part because I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't. Fear is a great motivator.

Don't want to end up like this guy:

Old 02-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Don't want to end up like this guy:
I don't know, he is walking around on the beach with some nice looking women on his arm.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #118

Quote:
My mind is in it, but my heart needs to come forth and lock in positive changes. That's the real question - how do you do that?
What would you like to be able to keep doing as you age? What would you like to accomplish from exercising?

Perhaps making a list of goals that you refer to will help you with your heart getting on board with the program.

Also, staying within age-related norms can be a very motivating goal. For example, you could check where you score on something called the 5-repetition Chair Stand Test, which tests functional lower extremity strength.

Description of how to do the test here.

A meta-analysis study by Bohannon, 2006, revealed the following:

Analysis demonstrated that individuals with times for 5 repetitions of this test exceeding the following can be considered to have worse than average performance: 11.4 sec (60 to 69 years), 12.6 sec. (70 to 79 years), and 14.8 sec. (80 to 89 years).

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So a bit of an update. I've been going to the gym since I started this thread but not any more excited about it. In an attempt to do better, I just today signed up for two classes that will each meet once a week for 8 weeks starting March 2nd and 5th respectively. I really appreciate the feedback that has been provided. Unfortunately, this is just not something I like but I'll keep "forcing" myself to do it as long as I can because I do believe it's essential to quality of life as we age.

My mind is in it, but my heart needs to come forth and lock in positive changes. That's the real question - how do you do that?
Signing up for that class is certainly one motivator. Long term, though, I think you need to find something that you genuinely like to do. Keep trying things until you find what you like. I enjoy my exercising, but if that's not your "thing" keep looking for an enjoyable pursuit. One thing to consider: pickleball. I didn't think I would like it, but after only 4 classes DW and I are hooked.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
. My mind is in it, but my heart needs to come forth and lock in positive changes. That's the real question - how do you do that?
For me it is four things:

1) After a few weeks I noticed an improvement in everyday activities. Even minor things like bending over to pick something up I was more flexible, I have better balance, shoveling snow is easier, etc. On the flip side, after a trip where I didn’t work out I noticed a worsening. If you can get to a point where you see improvements it is a great motivator.

2) As the Nike commercial says, just do it. Much more often than not I don’t want to go. But it is my “job” now to do so, and it only takes 2 hours of of my day, including drive time, 4 days a week. I don’t give myself a choice, it is just something I have to do like a chore.

3) Right now we have a summer trip planned taking our son and granddaughter on a big road trip. They are both very active people and it is going to involve a lot of activity. Right now I’d be sidelined with some of the things we are going to do. I don’t want to be sidelines. So find something to work towards.

4) Find an active activity you enjoy doing. I tried Pickleball and loved it, but after a few months of knee pain after every day playing, I gave it up. But when the weather is nice I’ll be disc golfing and may even try ball golfing this summer, which I haven’t done in 30 years. Just have to convince myself it is worth the astronomical fees they charge these days. The point is, if you enjoy doing it then it won’t be work and you will want to do it. And even a moderate activity like golf, geocaching, etc. helps out.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote