Regular Exercise, How do you do it.

1) I’m with you there, but for your cardio could you find some active fun thing to do like a few have suggested? Basketball, pickleball, racquetball, tennis, working on a farm coop, part time 2 men and a truck worker, etc.??

2) Also, have you considered HIIT for your cardio? It is shorter than long cardio workouts (as little as 10 minutes), similar or better results depending on what you are measuring, you have to concentrate on what you are doing so time passes faster. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-hiit Or I’m sure thousands of other articles out there.

I will look into HIIT. As for the other things like sports, unfortunately that never appealed to me. Never been competitive. I like golfing, but that’s not really cardio. I have been thinking about getting a cart and walking in order to get something more out of it.

I love swimming best. But that alone isn’t enough. My routine:

-Swim 1800 meters minimum 2-3 days/week. The last 400 meters I do intense intervals mixed up with different strokes (back stroke and breast stroke) to use different muscles.
-Walk 2.5-3 miles 2-3 times/week. I listen to podcasts and look for birds while walking, and take an interesting path near my home.
-Weight machines at the gym once per week.
-Tai chi class-for balance and meditation.
I also want to do HIIT. But some of the suggested exercise aren’t possible yet due to weight and joint issues.
I also don’t stretch enough.

A suggestion: listen to fast paced music that you like, or a podcast while working out. I subscribe to 3 physician oriented podcasts: Peter Attia, Low carb MD, and Diet Doctor (a cardiologist runs this one) and also a fun Harry Potter related podcast, for laughs. Peter Attia’s podcasts have something for everyone. The biggest problem with going to the gym is that it seems tedious. With the phone in a pocket or a fanny pack and wireless earbuds, my walks and workouts are much more fun.

Also, when you work out regularly, notice and cherish breakthrough moments. I started my fitness journey with swimming in college . At first I was exhausted swimming laps and couldn’t go more than 500 meters without breathlessness. Five weeks in, suddenly I could swim as long as I wanted without being out of breath. The same thing happened with running two months later. I couldn’t go more than a mile for awhile, then suddenly I could run 3-5 miles without a problem.

Just recently returning to regular working out, I noticed during my last few walks that my body told me to run a little. During swimming my core “wanted” me to swim with faster strokes and stronger kicks. The activity itself seemed to trigger a physical joy.

If you get discouraged, due to the tedium, change your routine and pay attention to those breakthroughs.

I’ve been into working out since my senior year in college. Work and early child rearing got in the way to some degree. I was inconsistent during residency and when my son was small. From 2007-14 finding time and energy for the gym was very difficult due to a very heavy workload and life obligations.

One of the great joys of retirement is taking care of myself.

I'm finding that hiking through snow with big boots and ice spikes makes for good cardio.

here's a good dumbbell workout.

I also don’t stretch enough.

I’ve always been guilty of not stretching before doing activity. Even in college I just warmed up to get the blood going and mentally ready, but didn’t stretch like others when I had a choice.

It turns out these days static stretching seems to have lost favor with a lot of physical trainers, and there are articles that there are no measurable benefits to stretching, such as:

https://www.painscience.com/articles/stretching.php

My workout includes 6 oz curls every evening around dinner time, usually cabernet or merlot.

I have a set of resistance bands which are certainly better than nothing and easy to take on a road trip. However, I have been advised that actual weights (dumbbells) are better since the load on the muscles does not vary during the exercise routine.

My home is small and I don't have room for much exercise equipment, so, I am thinking of getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I found that they are rather expensive. One can easily pay $200 - $300+ for a set. So I would appreciate some recommendation s from those who have used adjustable dumbbells.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about those dumbbell sets too, but I can get past how large they are even if you’re using lighter weights. Especially that brand that is square. I don’t think it’s the Bowflex.

I wake up, get dressed, have a pee and brush my teeth, drink a glass of water and then put on my shoes. At that point I have been awake about 5 or 10 mins. I walk out the door and keep walking for about an hour. I wander all over the place, over hill, down by the train tracks, through the park, past both the high school and primary school, sometimes I even wander down the main street if I am over that way. I walk briskly and when I get home I am tired and happy. The earlier I wake, the nicer the walk.

This sounds a lot like me. I retired a few months ago & most days, unless I know I'll be doing a lot of walking with other activities, I'm out the door within 10 minutes of waking up & walk for an hour or so. Love being out early when the streets & nearby park are quiet, just a few dog-walkers & joggers, love watching the sun rise & the city waking up, & love the feeling afterwards, knowing I've done at least 7000 steps before the day has barely started. I also go to the gym about 3 times a week for weights, yoga, exercise classes. And I have some nice-looking hand weights (3, 5 & 8 pounds), which I use occasionally with exercise videos.

What motivates me is knowing that I've done something good for myself, which makes me feel more optimistic generally, & knowing that if I don't do this I'd feel the opposite.

Last edited:
I'm finding that hiking through snow with big boots and ice spikes makes for good cardio.

This will make a guy sleep very well at nights. I agree with Ronstar and very physical workout and especially if climbing is involved in that hike.

I have a set of resistance bands which are certainly better than nothing and easy to take on a road trip. However, I have been advised that actual weights (dumbbells) are better since the load on the muscles does not vary during the exercise routine.

My home is small and I don't have room for much exercise equipment, so, I am thinking of getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I found that they are rather expensive. One can easily pay $200 - $300+ for a set. So I would appreciate some recommendation s from those who have used adjustable dumbbells.

We're currently in a rental in Mexico for a month and there's no gym...I really miss my weights. I'll get a set of resistance bands for our next trip if there's no gym available. For the time being I'm doing pushups and some half-assed pullups on the pool railing.

I don't like the adjustable dumbbells. I have a few sets of dumbbells that have a threaded collar so you can add or remove plates. They're inexpensive and you can probably find used ones and some plates for sale.

We're currently in a rental in Mexico for a month and there's no gym...I really miss my weights. I'll get a set of resistance bands for our next trip if there's no gym available. For the time being I'm doing pushups and some half-assed pullups on the pool railing.

I don't like the adjustable dumbbells. I have a few sets of dumbbells that have a threaded collar so you can add or remove plates. They're inexpensive and you can probably find used ones and some plates for sale.

I'm looking over this thread again ... I may need some encouragement and ideas. My very old pedal (i.e. non-electric) treadmill is giving me problems. It's the only exercise that's ever worked for me. I hate gyms. I've dropped out of every exercise class I've signed up for ... but I was faithful to my treadmill. I'm scared to do without it.

This may be an opportunity, if I look at it correctly. I don't do strength training. I don't do balance training. Maybe I can add them, if I try that fun-looking H20 workout recommended by onemorehappycamper.

But I am turned off by all those strength training things that require you to work at achieving "perfect form" or exercises that are supposedly useless if not "done correctly." I tried all one summer to use machines at the gym and then had an acquaintance come and tell me I was doing them "all wrong." I tried a half day with a trainer who was awful and completely indifferent to middle-aged females. I tried a hatha yoga class where the instructor was into a Buddhist silence and never said a single word to me nor offered a comment for all the six sessions I attended.

So I'm looking for strength training that works even if you're not doing it perfectly, and for balance training that works even if your form is off.

There’s always room for improvement but if you were lifting weight, moving the machine’s weights, you were benefiting. If you get into higher weight, incorrect form might hurt you, but moving lighter weight, getting your heart rate up and finding yourself just a little sore in the right places will be good for you. Best to find a better trainer though.

So I'm looking for strength training that works even if you're not doing it perfectly, and for balance training that works even if your form is off.

Well, proper form is important to reduce your risk of injury. That said, perhaps you would find this article helpful. It is written by a physical therapist (who happens to be retired early) and includes key exercises for maintaining our bodies as we age.

Staying Strong in Retirement

Proper form prevents injury...and if the weight you are using is too light then you're not getting the full benefit.

I would recommend finding a good Pilates studio. They do great core strength training and stretching that is designed around your capabilities. They will give you guidance on form, but also encouragement as you try and get better. Some trainers are more "correcting" than others (change instructors if you don't like them), but it is all designed to make sure you are using the correct muscles.

My problems with gyms is the incessant noise caused by TV's blasting us with loud music and commercials for everything from muscle building drinks to bank credit cards. Then the Zomba and aerobics classes start, blasting more loud music throughout the gym. Add in the grunters and groaners who drop their heavy weights with a huge BANG! Enough! I will exercise at home.

At least 1/2 the people at the gym bring their own portable music with them. Can't the gym owners take a hint?

Well, proper form is important to reduce your risk of injury. That said, perhaps you would find this article helpful. It is written by a physical therapist (who happens to be retired early) and includes key exercises for maintaining our bodies as we age.

Staying Strong in Retirement

Thanks for this. I am looking for core strengthing. I'm going to try these exercises

I'm looking over this thread again ... I may need some encouragement and ideas. My very old pedal (i.e. non-electric) treadmill is giving me problems. It's the only exercise that's ever worked for me. I hate gyms. I've dropped out of every exercise class I've signed up for ... but I was faithful to my treadmill. I'm scared to do without it.

This may be an opportunity, if I look at it correctly. I don't do strength training. I don't do balance training. Maybe I can add them, if I try that fun-looking H20 workout recommended by onemorehappycamper.

But I am turned off by all those strength training things that require you to work at achieving "perfect form" or exercises that are supposedly useless if not "done correctly." I tried all one summer to use machines at the gym and then had an acquaintance come and tell me I was doing them "all wrong." I tried a half day with a trainer who was awful and completely indifferent to middle-aged females. I tried a hatha yoga class where the instructor was into a Buddhist silence and never said a single word to me nor offered a comment for all the six sessions I attended.

Depending on your ultimate goal, 100% correct form may not be required. Over the years I've had a few minor injuries from my weight resistance exercises. I'm pretty sure they were due to me pushing my limits, or who knows maybe it was form. Anyway, I've been fine the last several years by a quite-simple solution: I just keep the weight resistance at less than what I can theoretically do. I'm only interested in some tone, not to be tight as a drum. So, this simple attitude and approach works for me. Maybe if the weights were higher my form/technique would be more of a factor YMMV.

I always said I would go in the morning but didn’t. Much better for me is afternoon anytime. Being retired just love it getting up at the crack of dawn, drinking a leisurely cafe con leche in my robe and reading the news.

Also find that exercise a few hours before dinner helps control my blood sugar.

You just have to keep trying and be flexible. If you settle on 11am and can’t make it go at 2, or 4, just go!

Depending on your ultimate goal, 100% correct form may not be required. Over the years I've had a few minor injuries from my weight resistance exercises. I'm pretty sure they were due to me pushing my limits, or who knows maybe it was form. Anyway, I've been fine the last several years by a quite-simple solution: I just keep the weight resistance at less than what I can theoretically do. I'm only interested in some tone, not to be tight as a drum. So, this simple attitude and approach works for me. Maybe if the weights were higher my form/technique would be more of a factor YMMV.

Mystang, I think you might be right. I just don't want to think about exercise much, just do it. That's what I liked about my treadmill. Could roll out of bed, have a coffee and hop onto it without any thinking. It was just steady walking uphill. And defining the goals (I think simplegirl brought this up earlier) is good to do in advance. Like you, I'm not on a quest to find my limits.

My problems with gyms is the incessant noise caused by TV's blasting us with loud music and commercials for everything from muscle building drinks to bank credit cards.

At my gym, you have to plug in your earbuds to hear the TVs.

Then the Zomba and aerobics classes start, blasting more loud music throughout the gym.

At my gym, the classes are located in relatively soundproof rooms, on a different floor from the rest of the gym equipment.

Add in the grunters and groaners who drop their heavy weights with a huge BANG!

The weight lifting area at my gym is over in a corner away from the rest of the machines, and has mats that absorb most of that sound.

They play soft "oldies but goodies" on the PA, and that disguises the sounds too. For a while they started playing more up-to-date music and the clientele hated it! So due to all the complaints, they went back to oldies.
Enough! I will exercise at home.

At least 1/2 the people at the gym bring their own portable music with them. Can't the gym owners take a hint?
You need to check out some other gyms in your area! Seriously, gyms are so different from one another. For example, mine is the most expensive gym around (and is unusually well equipped), and is run by a local hospital. It does not have any child care facility for mothers to use while working out, and no kids are allowed; most of the clientele are seniors.

The noise thing isn't a problem, for the most part, at my local Y. The tvs require headphones, or pairing bluetooth earbuds, for the cardio machines. If you forget your buds you can see closed captioning. For my weight machine circuit I just listen to my own music or podcasts... The classroom is adjacent but has a lot of soundproofing. The grunts from the weightlifters can be annoying... and even though there are mats under the heavy weights they still make a loud thud if they are dropped. What is worse is the overly macho guys on the machines who decide to 'drop' the weights rather than lowering them - even on the precor machines this can be loud. I just glare at them to give them a hint.

Back to the OP - when I retired I made a promise to myself to get in better shape. I dropped 20-25 lbs pretty quickly but then haven't dropped any since. That said I'm in better shape than I was before - stronger, more endurance, clothes are 2 sizes smaller and fit better... But I'm still technically obese.

My routine is to walk the dog 2.5-3 miles every morning. Then work out with cardio and weights every other day. Make it a habit - it becomes routine...

Back
Top Bottom