Join Early Retirement Today

Regular Exercise, How do you do it.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #1

Looking for practical advice. One of the things I wanted to do in retirement but have not been successful at is regular exercise. I’m hoping some of you can help me with some ideas or personal experiences for how you get yourself to exercise on a regular basis. I’d like to get into a groove where I get to the gym 3 days per week.

My goal/desire is to go first thing in the morning, but therein lies one of the hardest problems for me. Getting up early is a lot like work and goes right to one of the best things I’ve found in retirement - getting up and having no commitment to do anything. And, if I don’t get the exercise first thing in the morning, then it rarely happens. Logically morning/first thing is best so I don’t have a lot on my stomach and then I can take my shower for the day right after. Unfortunately, I just don’t do it.

So, did any of you have difficulty getting in the regular exercise routine and how did you get past that and make it work?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I hate morning workouts myself because I don't like to get up that early anymore. So I typically work out just before or right after dinner. Usually do some stretches at night before bed, and in the morning when I recall how much I don't like back injuries. Self-motivate by looking in the mirror, jumping on the scale, or remember the frustration of getting winded going up the stairs.
Twize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have not had a problem getting into a groove BUT I did not bust my own hump to work out at any particular time. In fact my workout times have shifted over the years (Been retired 24 yrs now) based on... I guess... other things going on. Late morning / early afternoon seem to work best for me.
I have always had a slightly off-kilter circadian rhythm tho. I am feel "most normal" staying up late and waking after 0900-1000 am. I know that's makes me a little "differnt."

Just try different times arranged around what you normally do. You'll find one that's, maybe not perfect, but the best out of several. And as far as hitting it first thing in the morning, I actually stopped working out too early because I heard most heart attacks happen within 2 hours of waking. Not sure if that is statistically true but now that I'm in my 60's "easing into" the day before revving things up sounds prudent.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are a morning person, sure, you can exercise first thing in the morning. But if you are not a morning person, I say - what's the rush, you retired so take your time, get to gym when you get to, don't rush things and don't restrict yourself.
I like to sleep in in the morning, then read/watch some news and get to gym about 10am. Swimming 2/3 times a week, walk/bike 2/3 times a week, and group dance 1/week. I enjoy my routine because there is no pressure when/where I have to do it.
Develop a routine but don't force yourselves, allow yourself to flow into the schedule.
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was semi retired, on the days I was not working I would always get up at 5 or 5.30am and exercise early and then have an afternoon snooze at about 2pm.

I am currently back working 5 days a week (for a year or so) so I try to do the 5am exercise thing.

Unfortunately, I have pulled muscles in my left foot so I am doing very little for the next few months. I need to change my routine and get into the pool for some exercise.
Aus_E_Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Since retiring last year, DW and I go to our gym 3-4 times a week. The gym is a mile from us so most days we walk. We try to get there by 8-8:30 and work out for 45 minutes to an hour so by 9- 9:30 we are back home.
We find Monday- Wednesday- Thursday- and sometimes Friday are the best days for us.
The thing that motivates me the most is that I always feel great after I exercise and once I get back home I can enjoy reading the paper having my coffee for as long as I like or until DW has an assignment for me..
So no real secret revelation other than once you star going it becomes easier and easier and like anything some days we don't feel like going but we'll go for a good long walk instead.
like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #7

My DW has found that working with a personal trainer has increased "accountability" so that she is meeting 100% of her target.

(In a discussion today about upping her personal trainer time, I realized she is also meeting ~10% of our spending target this way! )
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #8

If you live in the right place, not too rural, make your car your second choice for transportation. Try to bike or walk everywhere you go. Even if you do it a 1/3 of the time, it will make a big difference. It is an approach that is under considered by the vast majority.

Often a person's first reaction is that it is crazy busy around me. It maybe but traffic is typically not a problem. Learning to deal with traffic can be an issue. If you see any light in this idea, I would be happy to develop it more and help answer your questions.

I share this as it is a change I made in my life and I find it to be a very effective way to stay fit, save money, etc.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

probably not of use to most but I sign up for marathons and such which is a huge incentive to run regularly,otherwise I'll suffer a lot more in the race and also be unhappy/embarrassed by my time.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I joined a small local gym last Oct, a few months after retiring.
Also hired a personal trainer once a week for three months.
Trainer helped jump start my goal to improve cardio and muscle, lose weight if possible.

When working, I was up at 5 or 5:30 am. Absolutely not doing that anymore.
Bed at 11 or 12, up at 8 or sometimes 9.
Gym every other day within an hour of waking. 1-1.5 hrs.
Home, shower, breakfast.
I enjoy having the rest of the day totally open.

Haven't dropped the pounds yet but noticeably stronger and firmer and feeling great.
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #11

I'm a morning exerciser. Much easier to be guilt free lazy the rest of the day.

I run 3 miles every other day. Schedule is run, lift, run, yard work.

Having two dogs that need walking does wonders for getting your steps in. I have walked 10,000 steps or more 305 days in a row.

My suggestion is just go walking when you wake up. Graduate to something else as you get more motivated.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I’m like op. If I don’t exercise first thing in the morning, it won’t happen. For me, exercise first thing means exercise before I start doing anything substantial. I get up between 5 and 6, eat breakfast, play online for a couple of hours, and start exercise at 8.

I started Jan 1 with a routine of No house project, yard work, woodworking or other hobby starts until I get my exercise in for the day. So far this year, exercise is a +5 mile morning hike. Or walk around the neighborhood or treadmill for 1.5 hours on rare bad weather days. The exercise is not intense enough to prevent me from doing it every day.

I’ve been able to stick to this schedule every day since Jan 1. I just need to keep up the commitment to exercise first thing and not allow anything to disrupt my schedule.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My other advice is to find exercise you enjoy. You'll be more likely to stick to it. And set reasonable goals, so you'll be rewarded when you hit them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:03 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hear what you’re saying. If I put it off too late in the morning than I’d probably not go. I used to go to the YMCA and take scheduled classes and just got in the habit of going, I guess. Then I switched up and started working out with a partner so that kept me accountable. When I moved to my current location I joined Orangetheory. There is a $12 late cancellation fee so that’s a huge motivator for me. But really, I go 4-5x per week because I can. And what I mean by that is I’m still healthy and able to go, and that’s something I’m very grateful for. It helps to not think about it too much, just walk out the door and go.
Athena61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like waking up early so I used to go to gym around 1PM. My day used to drag and I would get nothing done except the gym during the entire day. This was making me feel guilty. So then last month, one day I went to the gym at 9:30am, about an hour after waking up. I ate some fresh fruit like I usually did about 1/2 hour after after waking up. After the workout, I felt light and energetic and was home by 11am.

After gym and shower I eat brunch (breakfast actually but around noon), followed by coffee/tea and a light snack at 4Pm and finally light dinner at 7PM.

So now I eat only two meals a day: breakfast/lunch at noon and light dinner at 7Pm. Eating fresh fruit in the morning before gym and some dry fruit with coffee/tea around 4Pm keeps me energetic thru-out the day. The free time I gained, 4-5 hours in the afternoon, is good for any project I want to undertake. I feel very energetic and great. I have also joined a weekly 1-HR Yoga Class at the gym on Wednesdays......a little peer pressure always helps when you don't feel like going to the gym.

I suggest you figure out a routine that works for you and sign up for a group exercise class to keep yourself accountable. Good Luck!
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #16

Thanks for the comments so far. A little more background on me. About 8 months ago, I did start working with a personal trainer. For awhile it was two days a week then it went to one day per week. That was very helpful to get off to a good start. I've since re-up'd a couple times so I totally get that the personal trainer will keep me engaged, but it really doesn't solve the problem of not being too enthusiastic about going.

Another thing, I live 1/2 mile from our city recreation center. They have a very good weight set up including both machines and free weights as well as plenty of cardio. A year membership for both me and DW is only $450. So, it's hard to justify using anything else, except of course just getting out and walking. I do also golf. It's not that I'm not active, and the working out I've done is definitely noticeable (to me internally), but I just don't feel committed to it. I keep having to force myself into going and I'm no where near 3 times per week. Over the last six months, I probably average 1 to 1.5 days per week. I just don't think that's going to be enough to stay healthy, mobile, strong. . . Note - there's no dream of six pack abs or anything like that, just good health and mobility. But I do think even that is going to take more than I'm doing.

So, I'm fighting with the logic that I agree with (move it or lose it) and my internal desires to do just about anything but.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Looking for practical advice.

So, did any of you have difficulty getting in the regular exercise routine and how did you get past that and make it work?

Simple.

Pay a personal trainer

If you’re paying, you’ll go

That’s as practical as it gets
nancyfrank232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My other advice is to find exercise you enjoy. You'll be more likely to stick to it. And set reasonable goals, so you'll be rewarded when you hit them.
This is very good advice.
After retiring, I started trying to jog myself back into shape. It was helping, but it wasn't something I looked forward to.

After a twist of fate, I found myself riding an old bicycle to and from my jogging path. As time went on, I kept taking different/longer routes to the jogging path. I realized I enjoyed riding so much that I gave up the jogging, gave the old beat up bike away, and treated myself to a new one. That was a little over 22K miles ago.

I still look forward to my daily rides. I have several routes I can choose from. I enjoy the local charity rides, meeting other cyclists, and making new friends.
The entire experience has changed my retired life.

Make it fun......

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. A little more background on me. About 8 months ago, I did start working with a personal trainer. For awhile it was two days a week then it went to one day per week. That was very helpful to get off to a good start. I've since re-up'd a couple times so I totally get that the personal trainer will keep me engaged, but it really doesn't solve the problem of not being too enthusiastic about going.

Another thing, I live 1/2 mile from our city recreation center. They have a very good weight set up including both machines and free weights as well as plenty of cardio. A year membership for both me and DW is only $450. So, it's hard to justify using anything else, except of course just getting out and walking. I do also golf. It's not that I'm not active, and the working out I've done is definitely noticeable (to me internally), but I just don't feel committed to it. I keep having to force myself into going and I'm no where near 3 times per week. Over the last six months, I probably average 1 to 1.5 days per week. I just don't think that's going to be enough to stay healthy, mobile, strong. . . Note - there's no dream of six pack abs or anything like that, just good health and mobility. But I do think even that is going to take more than I'm doing.

So, I'm fighting with the logic that I agree with (move it or lose it) and my internal desires to do just about anything but.
Sounds like you aren't enjoying your workout. Can you change it up? Cardio instead of weights? Rower instead of treadmill? Hills on a walk outside?

I went to one spin class in January and it was packed. Locker room was packed. That wasn't really attractive to me. This morning I put my bike on the trainer in the garage and did a workout. Then did some core work in the house.
I'm not in love with the video but it's 2 weeks free. So I'll probably cancel before it hits my CC. I've already ID another cycling program with a free 2 week intro. I'm trying to maintain some fitness for cycling this Spring/Summer. Calling for snow/rain mix tommorow. So garage it is.

The nice thing about the garage is I save a bunch of time. You have to get to the gym early to sign in for a bike. Then get dressed. Then wait for the previous class to get out. On & on.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I do weights 2 or 3 times a week, yoga class twice a week. I have a rowing machine. During good weather we cycle and walk frequently as well.

I exercise any time of the day. We mix it up quite a bit. I don’t feel a need to do it first thing unless the weather is really hot.