Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #121
gone traveling

Looks awesome!! Great thread.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm. Going to have to re-install that metal chimney I put up last summer. Snow took it down.

Snow was heavy enough to bend a 1/4' thick steel support holding the chimney up!
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Better use 3/8" thick steel support this next time.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Better use 3/8" thick steel support this next time.
In all seriousness, I'm thinking guy wires and a snow splitter.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #125

Our cabin had a rough winter too. A neighbor (who lives there- we don't) told us its the highest water she's ever seen- She's been there since '85. It didn't get in the cabin, but it stayed for weeks and left a thick coat of stinky, slippery river silt on everything less than 4 feet off of the ground. UGH. It took us a couple of weekends to get everything (more or less) clean again.

This weekend we installed tin under the porch- we were getting shade from the sun, but the water dripped through the cracks in the deck and we like to watch the rain. It looks better than we do- we finished the job with two cut fingers, a bad bruise under a fingernail and a banged knee.

Last weekend we cleaned up from the burst pipe this winter- it broke at the joint where the water enters the house from the utility room. This was a fortunate place for it to break as it all dripped down into the flood friendly utility room and didn't mess up the floors or anything else in the house. It did demolish a particle board shelving unit which has been upgraded to plywood....

A 4 am thunderstorm revealed a (REALLY) leaky window seal... After this weekend we should be ready for some summer fun. Youngest son has already been in the water. I tested with my toe- it'll be another month before more than my toe goes in!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really enjoy your cabin thread and thanks for sharing your progress and enjoyment.
Here is an old cabin homestead shack that is on my ranch. This old homestead sits 10 steps from the rivers edge. But sits higher and was never touched by the flood water or the ice. These old timers know where to build and paid attention to detail. It was one of the worst floods here this spring also. A few old timers told me, that is was the worst that they ever seen. About 50 home over many miles flooded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1957.jpg (180.6 KB, 93 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #127

I think you win. Err, lose in this case. The chimney is an easy fix
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #128

Been up to cabin a few times in last month. Mostly burning slash piles from last years logging. I was a little busy when the flame was 16' high.

Here's a shot at a tamer stage. Also hung out at the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0867.jpg (888.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0875.jpg (1.10 MB, 77 views)
Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Me too. Makes me want to buy an old cabin.

So this is the first time I’m seeing this thread. It’s giving me the “I wants” for a cabin and has me thinking of lakes in the area. Hmmmm...
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #130

The Complete Joy of Learning From Your Mistakes!

Sometimes you don't do things right the first time. Case in point, the chimney a friend and I reinstalled last month.

We originally installed it with a thick iron support bar attached at the spot where you now see the wood support coming out from under the eaves, and angling straight up from the roof. About 6' of snow last winter proved that wasn't a good design. It took the chimney off, and bent the bar. This time we took a belt, suspenders, and duct tape approach. I think it will stand up to deep snow a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0929.jpg (712.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0930.jpg (903.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 12-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #131

Power company removed about 8 dangerous trees in December. Sure opened up the front of the place. Makes a nice supply of firewood for a few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191214_111717.jpg (424.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20191214_111825.jpg (437.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #132

What kind of trees were they?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #133

Nothing great for firewood: pine and fir.

How's your place shaped up?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #134

We thought we needed to re-do the caulking on the front windows, but when we got up there, it was all rotted and we had to replace most of it. The walkway to the pier was shaky and also rotted in spots. When we went to replace that, we discovered that the walkway wasn't connected to the pier at all. It's much more stable now... [emoji23]. We took all of the screen out of the deck over the boat house. Replaced the Formica countertop with a wooden one. We've declared war on the squirrels who have eaten through a water line and also a lot of electrical wiring. Got a ping pong table! [emoji16]
Old 12-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We thought we needed to re-do the caulking on the front windows, but when we got up there, it was all rotted and we had to replace most of it. The walkway to the pier was shaky and also rotted in spots. When we went to replace that, we discovered that the walkway wasn't connected to the pier at all. It's much more stable now... [emoji23]. We took all of the screen out of the deck over the boat house. Replaced the Formica countertop with a wooden one. We've declared war on the squirrels who have eaten through a water line and also a lot of electrical wiring. Got a ping pong table! [emoji16]
I think you worked harder than I did this year!
Old 12-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #136

It's all in preparation for the summer. I'm retiring and planning on spending quite a lot of time relaxing on the newly repaired pier!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #137

Well, it looks like there is more remodeling in store for this summer. The river is higher than anyone remembers. It's not in the cabin yet, but we suspect it will be by Friday. We already can't get in by the road. We're going to put the boat in tomorrow morning and move everything we can to the upper floors. The only thing that may get flooded is the lower addition and the screened porch downstairs. Oh well. I hated that carpet anyway.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #138

Ouch! I got to put my chimney back up. Snow took it down. Trying a new location. Third time's the charm!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200217_102221_5.jpg (775.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200216_180339_0.jpg (461.9 KB, 56 views)
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #139

We watched a program on DIY called "Maine Cabin Masters", and can understand all that you have to go through.

Hope you do not get flooded.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #140

Me too. Will let you know.