Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Me too. Will let you know.
I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #142

It looked better than we thought. The river is still predicted to rise about 2 feet, but that's at a point up the river where it's still in it's banks. It's out of the banks at our camp, and the river could rise another foot and a half before it gets in the house. We're hopeful.

We rescued the kayaks and lawnmower and emptied out the fridge and freezer as the power company may turn the power off. The water was over my boots, and it was COLD.

The river won't crest till this Friday, and won't start falling till Sunday. We won't be able to get in by road till next Friday at least.IMG_20200218_090444808_HDR.jpeg
Old 02-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #143

Everything end up ok?
Old 02-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Everything end up ok?
Sadly, no. Have a foot of water in the ground floor. The good news is that we put the furniture on blocks, so it's fine. Probably lost a ping pong table, washer, dryer, and water heater. The water heater needed to be replaced anyway. Water won't start falling till tomorrow. Can't get in to clean up the mess for 10 days at least. Could have been worse...
Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #145
Administrator

Quote:
Sadly, no. Have a foot of water in the ground floor. The good news is that we put the furniture on blocks, so it's fine. Probably lost a ping pong table, washer, dryer, and water heater. The water heater needed to be replaced anyway. Water won't start falling till tomorrow. Can't get in to clean up the mess for 10 days at least. Could have been worse...
Sorry to hear that. Still a hefty loss - any insurance coverage?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #146

Nope.

I'm counting my blessings though. We used to LIVE 5 houses down from where the camp is. I am grateful we don't live there anymore. That would have been at least a month in a hotel room, and would have required a quick clean up and fix.

Everything at the camp is cheaper, and less necessary. I didn't use the washer and dryer much because we live 20 minutes away. A cheap set from Craigslist will do, and we can wait on that.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #147

Quote:
Nope.
Double ugh.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #148
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ouch. Sorry to see your loss.

You seem resilient. That is good..
swaneesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #149

Quote:
Nope.

I'm counting my blessings though. We used to LIVE 5 houses down from where the camp is. I am grateful we don't live there anymore. That would have been at least a month in a hotel room, and would have required a quick clean up and fix.

Everything at the camp is cheaper, and less necessary. I didn't use the washer and dryer much because we live 20 minutes away. A cheap set from Craigslist will do, and we can wait on that.
I remember living in Waveland it was common for like Pass Christian to flood. Had to help a few buddies empty out wet houses. Shoot it happens up north here from time to time as well. Hope the damage is minimal.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope.

Is it feasible to raise it higher on stilts, like I've seen on the coasts?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #151

Quote:
Nope.

So sorry, ugeauxgirl. We helped my sister and her husband clean up after Katrina. Cleaning up after getting flooded out is no fun! You have a great attitude.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Is it feasible to raise it higher on stilts, like I've seen on the coasts?

-ERD50
The main cabin is 10 or 12 feet off the ground, and that's plenty. Somebody tacked an addition on that is only 5 or 6 feet off of work ground and it wasn't. The river hasn't been this high in 40 years. Too expensive to raise. It'd be easier to tear the addition off. Easiest solution is to just fix it and hope it doesn't happen again for 40 more years.

We'll rip out the carpet and just paint the sub- floor with porch paint and call that done. We'll cut the panelling off and add tin wainscoting to cover- and attach that with screws in case the water rises again...

The really good news is that the addition is completely separate from the rest of the camp, so we can take our time fixing it, and use the main camp while we do.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I remember living in Waveland it was common for like Pass Christian to flood. Had to help a few buddies empty out wet houses. Shoot it happens up north here from time to time as well. Hope the damage is minimal.
I spent the weekend in Long Beach MS. My parents just moved there and I love that area!
Old 03-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #154

Went to the camp to survey the damage. It was the expected mess. The addition appears to have been constructed by amateurs. It was really easy to get everything out that we needed to because nothing was attached very well. .

The bad news is that the carpet was attached to the floor with glue, which means I'm going to have to sand it before I paint it.

The good news is, there isn't any insulation in the walls which means we didn't have to pull the panelling off. We're hoping it will just dry. For once, it's cool and not humid. Left the doors open etc.

Mud everywhere of course, but I made some progress with that today. The ping pong table survived and furniture survived. I think my crab traps were lost. Oh well.

My 12 year old amused himself by kayaking into the normally impassable marsh and retrieving buckets, coolers, trash cans, gas cans, etc.

Next week after it dries some, we'll work on it some more.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #155

Not bad. I'm at the cabin now burning yard waste and watching it snow. 1st time I've had cell reception here!

Not sure how I feel about that.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #156

DH got a cell signal booster for the camp. I wish I hadn't agreed to it. I love being out of touch. Of course I didn't TELL anyone that we now sometimes have service out there. So it's my excuse when I don't return calls or texts.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #157

We worked again today and decided it would be safer to remove the bottom of the panelling and spray it with mold killer. It wasn't too hard since the beaded board ran sideways- we scored and broke it. Spent $200 at Lowe's on paint and supplies. We'll need 8 inch molding to cover the gap. More mud eradicated.

We've only "found" one snake so far...
Old 03-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #158
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... We'll rip out the carpet and just paint the sub- floor with porch paint and call that done. ...
Before we demolished and rebuilt we had flooding in our old camp but from a backed up septic line rather than a flood. We tore out the carpet and found an inexpensive lightweight carpeting with a felt backing/pad attached and cut it to the room size and just taped it down in a few places along the edges with double sided tape. It worked really well and if it ever did flood we planned to take the carpeting out and lay it out on the lawn, clean it and let it dry and then put it back.

Luckily, we had the septic fixed and never had a problem recur.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Before we demolished and rebuilt we had flooding in our old camp but from a backed up septic line rather than a flood. We tore out the carpet and found an inexpensive lightweight carpeting with a felt backing/pad attached and cut it to the room size and just taped it down in a few places along the edges with double sided tape. It worked really well and if it ever did flood we planned to take the carpeting out and lay it out on the lawn, clean it and let it dry and then put it back.

Luckily, we had the septic fixed and never had a problem recur.
Good idea, but I already bought the paint. I'd rather sweep than vacuum.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #160

I wish you well in the repairing/rebuilding processes. Last spring 2019 the river here flooded and went as far as 4 miles out of river bed. I knew 5 families personally that had to burn or bulldoze their full time homes in. They all have rebuilt but the cost was something they had not expected and all were within 5 to 8 years age 62. Flooding in this area was unprecedent for that area and has never flooded before.
Keep us informed on your progress and hope all goes well.
street is offline   Reply With Quote