Join Early Retirement Today

Relapse of the Dreads
Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Relapse of the Dreads

I don't know what cause it, but over the last week I had a serious relapse of the dreads. It could have been that my son started two-a-day football practices. It made it so i had to take him and pick him up at a specific time. I also watched the PGA Championship on Sunday and that just brought back those Sunday afternoon feelings. Maybe it was just the death throws of old habits.

All I know was it sucked! It was good to remind myself it wasn't real, but sometimes stuff just gets a grip and won't let go. Pretty much over now, thankfully.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

ER or not, there are still things we have to do, schedules to meet and commitments to keep. That's probably healthy, but if it gets to be too much, it absolutely reminds me or how it used to be and I don't like it either. It'll pass.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

I've noticed I now regret getting involved in things that causes me to need to be or do anything at a certain time/place. I'm enjoying creating, or not, my own schedule.
Freedom is nice but not sure how healthy.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - I really hate to have anything scheduled too, so I tend to keep them at a minimum.

Even after 11 years retired, I think I'm still rebelling against a scheduled structured day.

I really enjoy the spontaneity of being able to decide at the last minute what to do. I really enjoyed that about fulltime RVing. You never knew where you were going to be when, so you couldn't make many plans, and even when you did, you often changed them.

Audrey
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I've noticed I now regret getting involved in things that causes me to need to be or do anything at a certain time/place.
Freedom is nice but not sure how healthy.
I enjoy teaching people how to surf.

I don't think I'd enjoy it if I had to do it every Tuesday at 10:15 AM, even if I was getting paid to do it.

Luckily I can always enhance a healthy freedom by comparing it to a cubicle existence...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Having a schedule...yeah, I don't like it.

I had a schedule starting at 5 years old. Starting working at 16, left my last job at 41, volunteered for 9 1/2 years as a cop. Then it hit me....I'm tired of schedules.

I didn't wanna have one anymore...so I don't.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah - I really hate to have anything scheduled too, so I tend to keep them at a minimum.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I enjoy gigs, but I love it when I have a stretch of time with none scheduled. It's crazy.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
Nope. I find I get grumpy(ier) if I have a couple of "have to be there at a certain time" items on my schedule. I think it must be a characteristic of the the ER personality profile.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Re: football practice, one word: Carpool.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I enjoy gigs, but I love it when I have a stretch of time with none scheduled. It's crazy.
I guess I hate them too. I suppose that is really what brought this on, having to be somewhere at a time not of my choosing.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. I find I get grumpy(ier) if I have a couple of "have to be there at a certain time" items on my schedule. I think it must be a characteristic of the the ER personality profile.
I think you must be right!

Audrey
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I guess I hate them too. I suppose that is really what brought this on, having to be somewhere at a time not of my choosing.
I suspect that's something unavoidable when you are still raising kids. They require a lot of activities - many of them with others, and that requires schedules.

Audrey
Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing I retired when I retired was my watch. I decided that I did not need to be an eternal slave to the clock, but only those few times one has to.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What all of you mean, I think, is having to do something you donīt like at a time or place you donīt like either. Donīt we all?. Of course, being retired makes all this a lot worse.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
What all of you mean, I think, is having to do something you donīt like at a time or place you donīt like either. Donīt we all?. Of course, being retired makes all this a lot worse.
Not really, I really have been looking forward to my son playing football. I don't mind taking him and picking him up. I am even helping the team by painting lines and videotaping games. I will travel to all of my son's away games. It's just I have been pretty much schedule free for about 6 weeks. I was getting used to it. All of a sudden I had to adhere to a schedule.

It just reminded me of work. I have to remind myself that even though i have to paint lines at 3:00 today and then attend a team dinner tonight, I have all the time before and after to do what I want and that it's only temporary. The schedule just makes immediately bring up those feelings of endlessness, like I felt when working. You know, "Only 5 (or 10 or 20) more years until retirement" feelings.

I know I don't want to give up this freedom without a really good reason.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What all of you mean, I think, is having to do something you donīt like at a time or place you donīt like either.
That's not it for me, either. For example, I have nice gig tonight that I'm looking forward to. But it means that I have to schedule when we eat dinner. Also, after dinner I can't just collapse in the recliner and read or watch TV. Instead I have to pack up the piano, get dressed up, and drive somewhere. I have to plan my exercise and nap so that I won't be too tired.

Hard to explain, really.

But it's also true that I enjoy my unscheduled time much more when there are a few scheduled things interspersed in it. There are some nights when I think "boy, it's nice that I don't have to go anywhere."
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Structure has its uses and is necessary for certain things that I desire, such as finishing projects before I die, or staying in shape. I simply dislike structure that is imposed by someone else.

Guess I'm really just saying "Me Too" to ReWAHOO's comment about the FIRE personality type.
Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

One thing I have noticed is that for me, playing hookey is a more intense fun than just being totally free.

Ha
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #19

I don't mind structure or even schedules, unless it is imposed on me. Football practice is not at a time of my choosing and it cuts into my time. Even though am glad I can be here to take my son and help out a little, I still wish I could do it when I want.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Football practice is not at a time of my choosing and it cuts into my time. Even though am glad I can be here to take my son and help out a little, I still wish I could do it when I want.
I can see that you are a reasonable man.