Relocation Research Pointers

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have done all the online/library research we can do to narrow the field, but we have to actually go visit some places to make a decision over the next two years. But it seems to me it would be pure luck to actually know if we're going to be comfortable with a place after even a two week visit (we'd actually planned more like 4-7 days). Any pointers on how to most effectively do the "ground work" when visiting potential retirement location choices? If it matters, we're leaning toward somewhere in VA, DE, MD or NC - and we've scouted quite a few cities that might fit the bill. And while I expect it will be a PITA, we may well rent for 6 months to a year once we do choose a place to be sure and nail down what neighborhood makes the most sense for us.

When I had narrowed it down I subscribed to the local newspaper . It really helped me get a feel for the places . We also rented for eight months . I hated the rental but it did help us narrow down the neighborhoods and decide what we did not want . We had visited all the places several times and you really can't get a sense of a place in a few weeks .

We live in Tellico Village sw of Knoxville ,TN. We have owned a building lot here for about 6 years. Two years a go we got a little antsy about the real estate market and sold our house in central Ohio and came down here and leased a house. The cost of leasing a house here was actually less than our
housing cost in Ohio, so we decided to take our time. I won't retire until Dec. 08 at the earliest. We just recently broke ground on our retirement home on our lot (should be done by the end of the year). Many new friends
we have met have confided in us that they wish they had done it the smae way. They like the area, but might have made some different decisions about the specifics on their house choices.

Back
Top Bottom