Reporting back in..... dream interruption

Coach Shoe

Dryer sheet aficionado
Late last year, I sold my 39 foot sailboat and bought a “ocean going 44 footer” and started making plans to take take a “late in life adventure”. At 77 yo, time was awast’n.

My new wife, w truly adventurous spirit, enrolled in sailing classes and became certified, perhaps qualified to get the boat back to port if anything happened to me. We took 3 months to build her skills and to prep the boat w all the electronics and safety equipment I felt we needed.

We departed Kemah (Houston TX) on March 10, headed to Key West. It is interesting to note that my wife’s total experience had never been beyond the jetties and so a little sea sickness was to be expected. On the third day, she exclaimed, “I don’t know why I ever married you.’ On the fourth day, she got her sea legs and began to see the beauty of the sea. Life was good!

Upon approaching Key West, eight days later, we called in to obtain dock space only to be told that Covid had closed the Keys nd we would not be allowed entry. A little research told us that we were screwed. We needed water, fuel and food to continue our adventure. We had very few options. This is not the first obstacle I’ve had in life and the decision was easy to make. A u-turn was in order. We docked back in Kemah after sailing nearly 2,000 miles over sixteen days without dropping an anchor.

Covid screwed up our dream, but we’re really fortunate that, so far, that’s all it’s done to us. We’ve moved the boat off the Gulf and placed it on a beautiful lake to use it for social distancing. My wife is a true Blue Water Sailor and we anxiously wait for the day to resume our adventure. Time is really awast’n.

You guys be safe out there.

That’s pretty interesting. You guys are brave, especially your wife. She really must have an adventurous spirit.

I grew up in Clear Lake, so very familiar with Kemah. Lived my whole childhood about 5 miles from there. Best wishes for your happy adventures to continue in the future.

Hey, you can't bargain with the undeniable. A good sailor adjusts and makes it through. You are my sailing hero. Great experience! Thanks for sharing.

Enjoyed your post. I hope you get to it soon.

Bummer!

There was no place short of sailing all the way home that would let you dock? Alabama? Cuba? Freeport? Bahamas? Georgia?

Oh well - maybe begin planning for the next adventure in a year or two once the virus is history.

Covid info was sketchy at the time, fear was rampant. The Keys were closing as were the Bahamas. Our plan was to cruise the Bahamas for two months and then head up the Atlantic Coast before hurricane season (begins in June). Mobile and Northern Florida as nice as their beaches are, do not make an ideal cruising area. In hind sight, our decision was good. We have friends who were trapped on boats in the Bahamas because of Covid. Their experiences have not been pleasant. We’re safe...w family and hopefully waiting for reboot.

It is interesting in that my BIL had similar thoughts... he had purchased a 40ft and guess what, berthed in Kemah...

He was working on learning how to fix water makers and was scheduled to go to California but died of a heart attack... my sister was going to go along with him but it was not her dream so sold the boat...

He wanted to sail to NZ and Australia... hoping to live down there for a bit.

Good luck in your adventures!

I’m a sucker for a sailing story. DW and I had dreams of cruising in our youth, but she soon realized that she isn’t fond of foul-weather sailing. These days we stick to fair-weather day sailing.

I’m sorry your DW’s maiden voyage ended that way, but I hope you’ll continue to share your adventures when you get back out there!

Coach Shoe,

I just found your note. We also ran into Covid-19 when we arrived in Miami this year on our way to the Bahamas. You might enjoy looking at my wife's blog. The last two postings tell the tale. I can't post its address here, but if you click on my name then look at "about me", you will find it there. This would have been our thirteenth trip... the unlucky one.

Bill

Last edited:
Interesting. One thing that attracted me to this Community were posts (way back in the day) by dory36. His adventures kept me amused as I slowly learned about FIRE from him and everyone else participating at that time. Didn't join until much later.

I often fantasized (in my cube!) about the "live-abord" life style (just like I fantasized about expat life.) Both fantasies are long gone. Glad to hear Coach Shoe has not abandoned his dream. I hope it works out once we get past Covid 19. Happy sailing!

Coach you post a great story! Please get back out there as soon as this mess is over. We need your sequel.

Back
Top Bottom