Retired for more than 7 years, what % has your NW increased or decreased?

Percentage of increase, are you talking NW, or just your portfolio growth?

I just figured spendable assets. I don't include house. But if you are moving from a HCOL area to a LCOL area, I guess you could use part of it.

Last edited:
I'm amazed some members were able to quadruple or quintuple their net worth in seven or eight years. That's huge.

For those that have been retired for several years, what is the % increase cor decrease in your NW?
Years retired____
With pension or SS___
Percentage increase____
Withdrawal rate*____
* of Nest Egg only, if known.

Years = 8
Without either (yet - will have SS eventually)
Cumulative increase +45%
Withdrawal rate = this year 2.6% of current nest egg, which is 3.06% of inflation adjusted starting point. But this year is low for obvious reasons

Over the years have averaged 2.98% of that year’s liquid assets

I'm amazed some members were able to quadruple or quintuple their net worth in seven or eight years. That's huge.

It would be nice to know how they did it. I am wondering if they were essentially all equities.

Retired 8 years ago tomorrow, DW retired 6 years ago 1 Dec.
Pensions/ SS: $14K
Increase NW: $500K (Mostly primary home equity, paid off house)
WR: negative, we save 30% of our income

I'll bite
Retired 15 years ago @54
Small SS taken @62 cancer diagnosis
Investable assets increased 65%
Never had a SWR but I figured one year to be about 2%

For those that have been retired for several years, what is the % increase cor decrease in your NW?
Years retired____
With pension or SS___
Percentage increase____
Withdrawal rate*____

I have been retired for 19 years.

I have a military pension.

My NW today is 4X larger than it was when I retired.

I am not drawing down from my NW.

It would be nice to know how they did it. I am wondering if they were essentially all equities.

Many members here have minimal WR% vs. being close to 100% equities.

The first stock I have ever bought was when I founded two corporations [but neither of them will ever go public].

I never owned a 'house' when I was working. We always lived in apartments where I owned the apartment building.

We owned one Multi-Family-Residence at each of my duty stations in the US Navy. Rent money went to mortgage&insurance, and any leftover money went to principal-only payments. We wanted to build tax-free liquidatable equity as much as we could before I retired. Which was when we liquidated that equity and built our retirement homestead.

Now 19 years after getting my pension, I have a new rental real estate, that finally completed renovation this year [2020] [way over budget and far extended]. During this pandemic, it has begun seeing income. As best as I can project. My cash investment into this property is going to be yielding me 15% every year into the foreseeable future.

Right now we are still in debt, every extra penny is going to pay debt. By mid-2021 we should be out of that high-interest debt. Then there was a mortgage that I had to put on my farm [it was urgent so FU, don't judge me]. We will then begin making extra payments to that mortgage. Within 18 months we will be completely out-of-debt.

Percentage of increase, are you talking NW, or just your portfolio growth?

Everybody probably has their own definition.
Mine is NW minus what I consider non-retirement spendable like our house, family house, auto's.

Just because we always have to live somewhere, and the auto's aren't worth much but we'd prefer not to walk :LOL:

All stock and starting at the bottom of the Great Recession. That would get you close all these years later.

I retired 15 years ago (with modest pension) so my relatively low stock allocation took a hit during GR but was made up by PMs. Just started SS 3 years ago. Smooth ride for the most part but not a big bump at the end. I think my NW (minus personal RE) is only about 25% increased. WR has varied from 2.5% to almost 5%. YMMV

What is the % increase or decrease in your NW?

Years retired____3.5
With pension or SS___36K
Percentage increase____21%
Withdrawal rate*____1.6-2.6%

Years retired__6.5__
With pension or SS_ - ss only past 3 months__
Percentage increase__19.3%__
Withdrawal rate*__2.3% now__

I can’t imagine how someone would manage a 16% annualized return over 11 years either or similar either.

I can’t imagine how someone would manage a 16% annualized return over 11 years either or similar either.

Agree, of course not. Look at how many responses have a 3%WR or less. Therein lies the answer in combination with many poster retirement periods starting in a bull market.

Unless, as posted, you have a $70K (Pension/SS).

If that was the situation, you could live on $40k and invest the leftover into your other investments, then 16% NW growth may be possible.

If that was the situation, you could live on $40k and invest the leftover into your other investments, then 16% NW growth may be possible.

My pension is a hair under $20k/year. After I retired we moved to a low COL area. Where we can afford to live on half of my pension. So we still have money to invest.

How many people actually met this criteria? I only saw one, but maybe I missed some. Others had a longer retirement or less growth.

How many people actually met this criteria? I only saw one, but maybe I missed some. Others had a longer retirement or less growth.
I was fortunate to fall into this one.

Attachments

• prr.jpg
    prr.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 58

Except, "as posted" that particular one showed a 2% WR, so that's not the case. There were several very high RoR's with withdrawals posted that I can't imagine without some really exotic and sizeable asset classes. No biggie.

Last edited:
I was fortunate to fall into this one.
That's impressive, but you answered 11 years. Dash man is the only one I saw that actually met the criteria.

Net worth has doubled. Have a DB pension. Withdrawals are less than one percent. Retired 8 years.

Years retired__11__
With pension or SS__Yes, mini-pension and SS_
Percentage increase__202%__ [EDIT: OOPS! After reading Midpack's post below, this is 102%. :blush:]
Withdrawal rate*__1.2%__

I didn't plan it this way, but retiring in 2009 resulted in having a great SOR.

This is a very financially savvy crowd who knows if your portfolio doubles, that’s a 100% increase? A 200% increase means the portfolio tripled? A 400% return means a $1M portolio increased to $5M?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom