Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been a tech guy all my life. Was my passion in life, early on.
But I'm sick of all the non-tech stuff that goes with it (I have not yet retired).
I may keep some limited interest in Tech after I retire, but I don't think I'll be a participant.
PatrickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkk2001 View Post
I think many must be younger than me and still have the need to create. We all eventually lose that need.
I'm not looking forward to that. Just curious -- at what age do you think that happens?

I took up guitar playing, and that was one of the reasons. I figured I could still keep myself entertained even if I were to lose sight, mobility, etc.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Microsoft is having their annual Ignite conference next week, all virtual, all free. I looked at the agenda and their were some interesting sessions for me, so I have signed up for it. Can't let go of that tech desire just yet...
Old 02-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkk2001 View Post
I thought any interest or fun in doing what I did for a living would be a function of age, cognitive retention, and eyesight (looking at a bright white screen for hours).
It has been for me and thus I do not want to do any software coding now. But I read there are many views on this site. I think many must be younger than me and still have the need to create. We all eventually loose that need.
Fortunately I know a bunch of rather old people for whom this is not true.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not retiring soon (and the recent house purchase pushed us back from being FI too), I. keep imagining that when I do, I'll totally work on some indie game projects of my own. However, the times I've been unemployed long enough to do that show that I don't actually do that with the time when I have it :P I'm wondering if RE rather than just being unemployed and having to job hunt, will encourage more effort.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent my last 20 career years as a software developer. I hated it, but the $ was good and my job was mostly safe. sometimes, you gotta pay the family bills. I always found myself competing with people who went home and programmed in C++ and thought it was a fun hobby... I went home, played guitar, played softball, drank beer, and enjoyed my kids. I've been retired for 13 years. I still play guitar, play senior softball, and drink beer..... and enjoy my grandkids. never gave programming one second of consideration.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Still at it part time
Old 02-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Still at it part time

I worked as a programmer for almost 32 years with almost 30 of those in the defense contracting field--not very rewarding. So I quit that job and did nothing for 3 years when I was approached to do some contracting for a B2B company and I have been doing that for 6 years. It is a pretty good gig because I set my own hours and have no deadlines. I am only responsible for myself so no cats to herd. And since I am self employed, I can write off my cost of pre-Medicare health insurance for my self and my husband. I will likely retire completely when I am eligible for Medicare but right now, it is a nice pad working no more than one-third time each month. When I quit originally I was thinking that I was done with that type of work, but I have to admit and I still like keeping my hand in it because I do enjoy the challenge.
digger1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

I worked in IT for 25 years; mostly programming but also later QA and IT Security. No interest anymore but I’m glad I have the background to understand things. More focused on travel and renewing my home brewing hobby.
habelsgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #89
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been programming since '81, first one being a deck of cards written in FORTRAN for a mainframe. Last project was Single Page App in ReactJS and cloud. It has been a long journey. Software Engineer at various companies for over 30 years, never went to management, since loved coding more.

Retired 2 months back at 57, My skills are still very current and in demand, but the burnout has been real, and i have no desire to do it at-least for a long long time, if it naturally feel exciting again.

Planning to just chill, get a part-time fun job where i am using my body for a change.

saving my brainpower to read various books, write, also do some hiking, biking and travel.
hikerpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a software engineer for most of my career and am a real geek by most definitions. I started out in assembly language helping write code to control the Alaskan pipeline. Wrote code for nuclear power plant security systems. Moved on to real-time programming of cold rolling aluminum mills. After that, I started writing PLC code to control manufacturing processes for Kellogg and then got into controlling biotech manufacturing processes. That is when I lost passion as it became more about design documentation (FDA requirements) than the coding. When I retired I was glad to get away from it all. I still get the yearning now and then but don't act on it. My grandson showed some interest in learning how to code so I have been teaching him the basics of C++. That scratches my itch a little. Other than that, it's a thing of the past for me.
RASAP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was a tech writer and illustrator, and later an analyst. Worked for defense contractors, paper industry, healthcare, payment card and others. I went back and forth between software and hardware docs, and also had a long stretch installing systems and admin stuff.

I usually have a tech project going on, might be recovering an old system for someone, or investigating new hardware, like this: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...in-109151.html
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote