retiree health care and hippa

uncledrz

Full time employment: Posting here.
been reading a few of the topics on healthcare which brings another question to mind. If healthcare is available at retirement, but before 65 and medicare, and then the company cancels (as many apparently are doing) does the retiree then have COBRA continutation? Is that for 18 months? Does HIPPA provide a conversion right? Just curious.

uncledrz said:
been reading a few of the topics on healthcare which brings another question to mind. If healthcare is available at retirement, but before 65 and medicare, and then the company cancels (as many apparently are doing) does the retiree then have COBRA continutation? Is that for 18 months? Does HIPPA provide a conversion right? Just curious.

If the employer terminates the plan, I don't believe you get COBRA continuation rights. You will have HIPAA rights which will may make it easier to get insurance without pre-existing condition waiting periods.

I have just been reading my CORBA materials, and I can confirm that CORBA coverage terminates if the company terminates their healthcare insurance plan.

DH and I are purchasing our own insurance (mine a regular high-deductible BCBS policy, his a HIPAA conversion since he doesn't qualify due to health conditions). If we waited
5 more years, he would be eligible to purchase his current insurance that he has now, with us paying the entire premium. But who knows if they will still even have this option five years from now (or how many employers will even be providing much health insurance). So, we're going to bite the bullet and start the conversion process today!

Back
Top Bottom