Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirees who trusted their broker
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Thanks F-Dude. This is pretty much what I would have expected to be the case.

Ha
Ha, what FD said is really true. The only people I know making it as hourly or project planners are guys working in a really high end shop. They charge $15-25K up front and $350/hour after that for financial plans. All the planners there are JD, CPA, CFPs and they are the exception.

For your average CFP, it's just too hard to charge $400-$1K for a plan that takes hours of fact gathering, number crunching, etc when you can get somebody to drop $50K into a variable annuity from an hour or two meeting and walk away with $3-4K in commission.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

For your average CFP, it's just too hard to charge $400-$1K for a plan that takes hours of fact gathering, number crunching, etc when you can get somebody to drop $50K into a variable annuity from an hour or two meeting and walk away with $3-4K in commission.
Saluki I understand what you are saying, and I can't really fault them for doing what works. Buyer beware.

There are clearly better choices available, such as what your group or F-Dude offer, but it takes a more discriminating client to understand what he/she is getting.

Ha
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Saluki I understand what you are saying, and I can't really fault them for doing what works. Buyer beware.

There are clearly better choices available, such as what your group or F-Dude offer, but it takes a more discriminating client to understand what he/she is getting.

Ha
Saluki's "shop" is high end money management. His firm's clientele is probably $5 million and up, or even higher.

My average client has $400K or so with me. Interesting thing that happened when I switched to being a fee advisor........I became the PRIMARY advisor for a lot of my clients. Within 18 months, my average client account will be $500K. I feel the only way I can continue to learn and help is to become a CFP. I also am looking into getting the CIMA designation.

One of my buddies just got his CFA.......... Talk about a tough set of tests!!

One of the main reasons I am on this forum is the demographic. My clients are NOT UNLIKE most on this forum, LBYM folks who are great savers..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
...Within 18 months, my average client account will be $500K. I feel the only way I can continue to learn and help is to become a CFP. I also am looking into getting the CIMA designation...
Is that growth coming from new clients that are just a little bigger or the odd big fish? How many clients and how much growth?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
Is that growth coming from new clients that are just a little bigger or the odd big fish? How many clients and how much growth?
Clients that are bigger clients. I am in the middle of a 6 year business plan, and the plan is to have 75 clients at an average of $1 million each, or $75 million in a fee-based
practice.

Actually, the way I am running things, the "odd big fish" wouldn't fit too well. For instance, someone with $20 million or so has needs my firm/I am not equipped to handle, and would be better suited to a place like saluki's...........

Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Ditto on the CFA, FD! My boss is getting ready for the 2nd test, for the second time. The last time he took it, he'd just had a baby. Not great timing. There was some talk about me going after the CFA when I started here, but I told them I was way too much of a crackhead to pass even the first one!

There are a couple of Garrett planners (hourly) here, and I think they might be starving, unfortunately. Most others do some money management. We don't really have local clients, so I can't say how much business there is for fee only planners.

I'm taking the live review course in Denver in June for the summer CFP exam. Hope it "takes".

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The CFA exam is reasonable achievement for anybody with the ability to study on their own, who has had some sort of exposure to finance, and college statistics. It's more about hard work than background.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
The CFA exam is reasonable achievement for anybody with the ability to study on their own, who has had some sort of exposure to finance, and college statistics. It's more about hard work than background.
Sorry......too much work for me, I got clients that keep me busy............

If a CFP and CIMA aren't good enough, oh well................