Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement, an offensive word (newspaper article)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement, an offensive word (newspaper article)

Retirement: an offensive word - thestar.com

Well...not for me...I can't wait to use the phrase..."I'm retired" !
Frugalityisthenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article,
Quote:
Basically, we should reserve the terms old-age and retirement for those who are facing mobility, health, cognitive and other challenges that impair their ability to be active and contributing members of society.
There is already a word for that: disability. Retirement is a different concept and apparently one that she detests.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
gone traveling

"Lisa Taylor is the President of Toronto-based Challenge Factory, the only company in Canada where you can test-drive your next career. Challenge Factory provides individuals and companies with innovative talent and career programs targeting new graduates, mid-career professionals and Boomers seeking Legacy Careers."

IMHO, the author too young to even consider the word "retirement", be it early or otherwise and doesen't even view it on her long-term radar. IMHO, she is certainly not qualified to speak on the subject (although can certainly give her opinion, regardless of age).

And what's with the comment "Boomers seeking Legacy Careers"? Heck, I'm an early retired boomer and I didn't/don't seek any "post retirement career" - if I did, I would not be retired.

Apparently she dosen't understand that (with proper planning) it can be the best time of your life. Another trash article, IMHO written by somebody has no plans for their current and of course their future life (Let me tell you how I really feel! ...).
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think she doesn't have a clue!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since the author makes her living from job-seekers you wouldn't expect her to promote the idea of retirement:

Quote:
Lisa Taylor is the President of Toronto-based Challenge Factory, the only company in Canada where you can test-drive your next career. Challenge Factory provides individuals and companies with innovative talent and career programs targeting new graduates, mid-career professionals and Boomers seeking Legacy Careers.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
"Lisa Taylor is the President of Toronto-based Challenge Factory, the only company in Canada where you can test-drive your next career. Challenge Factory provides individuals and companies with innovative talent and career programs targeting new graduates, mid-career professionals and Boomers seeking Legacy Careers."

IMHO, the author too young to even consider the word "retirement", be it early or otherwise and doesen't even view it on her long-term radar. IMHO, she is certainly not qualified to speak on the subject (although can certainly give her opinion, regardless of age).

And what's with the comment "Boomers seeking Legacy Careers"? Heck, I'm an early retired boomer and I didn't/don't seek any "post retirement career" - if I did, I would not be retired.

Apparently she dosen't understand that (with proper planning) it can be the best time of your life. Another trash article, IMHO written by somebody has no plans for their current and of course their future life (Let me tell you how I really feel! ...).
She has a financial interest in people not retiring! What a surprise that she takes the tack that retirement is a dirty word. On the other hand, "w*rk" really is a four-letter word.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This is a great article about the failure of the Canadian educational system and the fact that people who look goofy, are goofy.

Sentences like these just don't make sense.

"Today, there is no place for the term retirement when talking about people in their 50s, 60s and beyond. The act of withdrawing from society and concluding your activities is not a choice to be made, but a fact of cognitive and physical health."
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It took me a little time to become comfortable using the term, "Retired," but do not worry, folks, I soon got USED TO IT!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We should retire the term retirement, reserving it only to be used as originally intended—the period past average life expectancy, when we are at the end of our days—ready to really, literally, retire.
I don't mind using her definition of "retirement" as long as it doesn't mean those of us who have reached FI are still expected to work. Heck, I don't mind if I'm too young to be called "retired" as long as I can still not work!

I also think Ms. Taylor looks too young to be burned out on office politics, corporate BS and the rat race of employment yet. She looks young enough to still be in the "eager" stage. In a few years, let's see if she changes her tune.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is a great article about the failure of the Canadian educational system and the fact that people who look goofy, are goofy."
I don't want to be that guy... but you forget the smiley part to make that statement a joke...

But don't worry... a lot of us uneducated Canadians don't take the Toronto Star or their writers to seriously anyway..... commie pinko rag.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes I read it, and the predictable responses, but I'm behaving today...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If I were Canadian, I would wonder why she is referring to US lifespans and a US economist. I agree that this seems to be a piece thinly veiled to push her business.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

The author doesn't even look 30...she must still be at the human-doing stage.

To me, retirement means living in my human being stage.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is a great article about the failure of the Canadian educational system and the fact that people who look goofy, are goofy.
She may look goofy, but I'd bet she is a sheet burner.

Also regarding her sentences- have you read much of this board? Maybe our American system isn't that great either?

Ha
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #15

Maybe her goal is to make so much money putting other people into "later life careers" that she can retire.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Her point seems to be that when you 'retire' you withdraw and no longer contribute to society.

I'm sure I'm contributing a whole lot more to the world since retirement (economically and personally) than I when was sitting in an office all day, counting sales numbers on products few people ever heard about.

As far as offensive....that photo.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
She may look goofy, but I'd bet she is a sheet burner.

Also regarding her sentences- have you read much of this board? Maybe our American system isn't that great either?

Ha
Ha, you like those "sheet burner" types, huh?
Concerning article, I take it the words "retirement" and "old" are now on the taboo list of words to say. That means the only word left we can say to pick on people that is still politically correct is "baldy". I guess in time that will be changed to "follicle challenged"
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I looked back at her pic. I may be wrong, not sure what I reacted to at first glance. But i remember thinking, hmm...

Maybe just because it's Friday.

Ha
Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #19

I did the contribute to society thing for 40 years. At this point the eager activist mentality just makes me want to find someone else to associate with.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This is a joke. Right?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote