Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I guess I don't understand this pool thing. Is the pool in question designated as having a lap priority? I picture 20 people wanting to use a pool with 6 lap lanes. Should 14 people get out of the pool so 6 people can have a lane all to themselves? My experience with public pools is a bunch of people show up and do what they please. Some swim, some bob, some dive, some chat, some splash, or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
+1. A rope setting off 2 lap lanes at our pool seems to cover it. Laps in the lane, if you are not swimming laps stay out of the lane.
Our indoor pool only has one rope (one lap lane). I swim in the lane and my wife swims just outside of it. As I mentioned, old people in our community don't exercise - only a handful are regular lap swimmers. Some of us alternate work out days with lap swim days. One is 83 and puts me to shame - only hope that we are able to keep up with it like he has (guy is physically fit looks like he's in his 60's). We all get along very well.

(Very) Small classes of noodle bobbers reserve the pool for themselves - two to three times a day and on Saturdays. You are not welcome to lap swim at those times. They actually remove the rope and block the ladders at both ends on one side with it. They usually leave it out and I have to put it back. The rest of the time it is open to everyone - unlike other areas I've mentioned that are pretty much booked up here by special interest groups and clubs (we play pool on Saturday afternoons after we swim - only real free time).

When we swim laps 3X/wk- we usually swim alone or at most with one or two others. Over the 9 years we've lived here I can't recall a time when there's ever been more than six people using the indoor pool - usually only two or three. This is a "big" pool. If we come upon bobbers, I'll always be friendly and ask if it's Ok to swim laps, and if the lap rope was left out - could I put the lap rope back. Most are friendly, but some can get real snarky. One person told me to take the rope back out when I was done (rope is to remain in the pool and it's a safety hazard to leave it along the side blocking the ladders). Two were very snarky and would walk the perimeter and deliberately get in the way. They pulled this one time on the HOA president and he got in their face (I don't see them at the indoor pool anymore).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gees, fritz. They sound like bullies. Senior bullies.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread! We REALLY wanted a 55 plus community for all the reasons that have already been mentioned. But, we've signed papers on a house that's not in a community, because we want something that's in town. Most of the retirement communities that we found in Texas are too removed from town. I know I'm painting with a broad brush here. We just knew that we'd end up every night staying in the community because "it's too far/much hassle" to drive into town to do whatever. Plus, we didn't want to pay a premium to live in a golf course community. I love golf, but it's an on-again/off-again relationship and I'll play at the muni course and keep my $$ in my pocket.

It was a tough decision, as we really dislike the whole screaming kids deal in the subdivision,

We'll have a nice house on an 80 foot lot in Conroe, TX. Paid a premium for one of the bigger lots. We're really hoping we don't get the 'neighbors from hell'. Been there, done that. It's a master planned community, so there's an HOA.

As far as the age in the community, isn't there a big group of residents that are all reasonably close in age? And this age can be extrapolated back to when the community opened? Especially with the newer communities? So, there's a ton of 55-65 year olds in the new community. Fast forward 20 years and there's a ton of 75-85 year olds.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:27 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Didn't mean to broad brush our retirement community as negative, just that there is a sense of entitlement by some that makes it difficult for the majority. We are a very nice 55+ community and the townhomes/single family homes are spacious and the amenities are very nice. I just think that some who buy in here are a little too self-centered unfortunately.

Clubs and groups abound, and there are many opportunities for those looking to get involved with like minded people in their favorite hobby or activity. Management (professional onsite and offsite) has allowed groups of less than a handful to block out time in common activity areas that should be open to anyone who lives here and pays their HOAs as well. They even pay for trainers for certain activities. This makes some of those areas pretty much inaccessible for most of the day for those wanting to use clubhouse activity areas - especially those areas designated for multi use. Kind of like the Y scenario where I used to belong in my earlier years. You join and hope to utilize what you pay for, but the Y would block out a good percentage of prime times and sell it to members and non-members to have their toddlers/kids learn to swim or play a sport. Not against this by any means, but accommodations should be made to allow all paying members to have some access when paid activities are in process.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Didn't mean to broad brush our retirement community as negative, just that there is a sense of entitlement by some that makes it difficult for the majority. We are a very nice 55+ community and the townhomes/single family homes are spacious and the amenities are very nice. I just think that some who buy in here are a little too self-centered unfortunately.

Clubs and groups abound, and there are many opportunities for those looking to get involved with like minded people in their favorite hobby or activity. Management (professional onsite and offsite) has allowed groups of less than a handful to block out time in common activity areas that should be open to anyone who lives here and pays their HOAs as well. They even pay for trainers for certain activities. This makes some of those areas pretty much inaccessible for most of the day for those wanting to use clubhouse activity areas - especially those areas designated for multi use. Kind of like the Y scenario where I used to belong in my earlier years. You join and hope to utilize what you pay for, but the Y would block out a good percentage of prime times and sell it to members and non-members to have their toddlers/kids learn to swim or play a sport. Not against this by any means, but accommodations should be made to allow all paying members to have some access when paid activities are in process.
I am so glad that I am not a member of your retirement community! I want (and have) a peaceful, serene retirement, free of such petty squabbling and self-centered conflicts over facilities..

We are just in a normal neighborhood, that has no facilities like that. No fees, either. So Frank and I belong to one of the best gyms around, whose clientele happens to be mostly older folks like us. There are classes in one of the two huge swimming pools, but they don't take up the whole pool and the schedule is easily available online. The other pool is strictly a lap pool and is kept at a slightly cooler temperature for the comfort of those swimming laps.

If management of our gym starts doing nutty things with the pool scheduling, like management at your retirement community has done, all we need to do is take our $$ elsewhere to another gym. Hasn't happened, though, probably because they know members can do that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #87
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
. Even worse, though, is all the plastic surgery. It makes some if those folks look like they've risen from the dead. Gives me the shivers...
Have you noticed how the women start resembling lions after too many face lifts ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #88
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Have you noticed how the women start resembling lions after too many face lifts ?
Women and men alike. Clearly, not all plastic surgeons are equally qualified, and many procedures are overcome by time.

Over 55 communities are designed to satisfy a real need for some. That's the nice thing about living in the US - this country is so big and diverse, no matter what kind of lifestyle we want. it can be found somewhere.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I hadn't noticed but if I see a woman that looks like this, now I'll know why!

I'd probably run away really fast!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am so glad that I am not a member of your retirement community! I want (and have) a peaceful, serene retirement, free of such petty squabbling and self-centered conflicts over facilities..

We are just in a normal neighborhood, that has no facilities like that. No fees, either. So Frank and I belong to one of the best gyms around, whose clientele happens to be mostly older folks like us. There are classes in one of the two huge swimming pools, but they don't take up the whole pool and the schedule is easily available online. The other pool is strictly a lap pool and is kept at a slightly cooler temperature for the comfort of those swimming laps.

If management of our gym starts doing nutty things with the pool scheduling, like management at your retirement community has done, all we need to do is take our $$ elsewhere to another gym. Hasn't happened, though, probably because they know members can do that.
We've thought of moving (next year) and doing exactly what you're doing. Glad to hear that it works so well for you. We've investigated gyms and find it difficult as some are muscle gyms (no pools) and others are private versions of YMCAs (heavily focused on the family). What gym have you found that works so well?

Another annoying thing is that we now regularly sponsor special interest groups that put on presentations at our clubhouse - usually with a meal or refreshments to make it attractive. This is medical (health related), insurance (annuities), investments (banks/investment companies). I get worried that some old person (who has lost their financial edge and the family doesn't know it yet) will get taken advantage of by one of these groups and his lawyer will sue everyone including us for sanctioning the presentation. We also regularly do this with local businesses with home improvement fairs. We do all this for money and the funds are used throughout the community.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
We've thought of moving (next year) and doing exactly what you're doing. Glad to hear that it works so well for you. We've investigated gyms and find it difficult as some are muscle gyms (no pools) and others are private versions of YMCAs (heavily focused on the family). What gym have you found that works so well?
Ours is one that is associated with a local hospital. I think most of the doctors send their cardiac patients there, and so on. But also, the firefighters can come there for free (and do), so not everyone at the gym is old and feeble. We have almost nobody under 25, though, and I'd guess that 90% are over 50.

We made sure to select a gym that doesn't have child care, because that eliminates some of the family type gyms. Moms with kids tend to flock to those gyms that offer free child care on the premises, at least around here.

Also ours is probably the most expensive gym in the area, which is a big "plus" for us because we can afford it. The equipment is top notch, it is not especially crowded, and the clientele are reasonably civilized. We got "grandfathered" in to a lower rate of $42/month that we had years ago; I think it is $65/month now. The less expensive gyms around here are about half what we pay.

Typical photo below - - I just use the gym floor, and not the pools, but this is the typical clientele and lack of crowds at our gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz
Another annoying thing is that we now regularly sponsor special interest groups that put on presentations at our clubhouse - usually with a meal or refreshments to make it attractive. This is medical (health related), insurance (annuities), investments (banks/investment companies). I get worried that some old person (who has lost their financial edge and the family doesn't know it yet) will get taken advantage of by one of these groups and his lawyer will sue everyone including us for sanctioning the presentation. We also regularly do this with local businesses with home improvement fairs. We do all this for money and the funds are used throughout the community.
That is indeed annoying. When people get older, they are so vulnerable to con artists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elliptical3.jpg (46.5 KB, 22 views)

Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
Great thread! We REALLY wanted a 55 plus community for all the reasons that have already been mentioned. But, we've signed papers on a house that's not in a community, because we want something that's in town. Most of the retirement communities that we found in Texas are too removed from town. I know I'm painting with a broad brush here. We just knew that we'd end up every night staying in the community because "it's too far/much hassle" to drive into town to do whatever. Plus, we didn't want to pay a premium to live in a golf course community. I love golf, but it's an on-again/off-again relationship and I'll play at the muni course and keep my $$ in my pocket.

It was a tough decision, as we really dislike the whole screaming kids deal in the subdivision,

We'll have a nice house on an 80 foot lot in Conroe, TX. Paid a premium for one of the bigger lots. We're really hoping we don't get the 'neighbors from hell'. Been there, done that. It's a master planned community, so there's an HOA.

As far as the age in the community, isn't there a big group of residents that are all reasonably close in age? And this age can be extrapolated back to when the community opened? Especially with the newer communities? So, there's a ton of 55-65 year olds in the new community. Fast forward 20 years and there's a ton of 75-85 year olds.
We live in Windsor Hills, (The Woodlands) a 55 and over community of single family homes in Conroe, like you. We have no golf course and the homes are 15 years old and average between 1700 - 2900 square feet in size. The Woodlands is a township with 100,000 people in it. Did you look here?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #93
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I hadn't noticed but if I see a woman that looks like this, now I'll know why!

I'd probably run away really fast!
More like this !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face_wildenstein.jpg (9.8 KB, 212 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #94

Quote:
Ours is one that is associated with a local hospital. I think most of the doctors send their cardiac patients there, and so on. But also, the firefighters can come there for free (and do), so not everyone at the gym is old and feeble. We have almost nobody under 25, though, and I'd guess that 90% are over 50.
The one we go to is almost exactly what W2R describes. Affiliated with the local hospital (it is within sight) and the upper two floors have medical offices and labs, x-ray facilities, etc. There is also a space walled off for the cardiac rehab classes. And of course we go during "retiree hours" in the middle of the day, after 10:00 and before 3:00 so we don't normally see anyone of working age.

Equipment is clean and well-maintained, it is rare to see one broken and if so it is repaired quickly.

There is a small pool but I think that is used mostly for rehabilitation cases. It certainly isn't big enough to do any serious lap swimming.

Not the normal gym, I think we're lucky to be near it. For the two of us it's $58/month so I guess that's higher than most gyms. One nearby advertises $10/month but I'm not sure if that's a teaser rate or fixed.

Added: Oh, there is a child care room, but there are rarely more than two or three kids in it and that hasn't been an issue for us.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post

As mentioned - we bought in our community when it was about 4+ years old and we were the youngest here at the just turned minimum age of 55/53. Been here almost nine years now, but only planned on being here aro. 5 years. Not too many pre-retirees or early retirees buy in here. If I were to guess - it's about 10% or less the younger 55-65 age group. Most that bought in here were much older than us - late 60's early 70's (or older). As we've seen neighbors come and go, the age of those buying their homes is also of the older age bracket I mentioned (we're still among the youngest here at 64/62). It would appear the older one gets the more one appreciates the safety, amenities, and (if you are so inclined) club/group activities a 55+ gated community offers. I would have to say our community is not attractive to early or younger retirees, but rather older widows and couples. They buy the biggest fanciest most expensive houses - so much for downsizing as one ages.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ours is one that is associated with a local hospital. I think most of the doctors send their cardiac patients there, and so on....

...Typical photo below - - I just use the gym floor, and not the pools, but this is the typical clientele and lack of crowds at our gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The one we go to is almost exactly what W2R describes. Affiliated with the local hospital (it is within sight) and the upper two floors have medical offices and labs, x-ray facilities, etc. There is also a space walled off for the cardiac rehab classes....

...Equipment is clean and well-maintained, it is rare to see one broken and if so it is repaired quickly.
Those gyms sound (and look) perfect! I'm intrigued - can anyone join, or do you have to have some kind of connection to the hospital, or be referred by a doctor on staff?

When I retire, I will be looking for a gym just like these, and there are several hospitals within a few miles of me. It has never occurred to me that they might be affiliated with a gym. I would love to find a gym such as you describe.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I imagine it is hard to predict exact results on a given face. Also, part of aging is that our bones shrink, including face and skull. So the contours under the skin are different from youth, and all the surgical tightening does is accentuate this.

Imagine how much simpler it would be if we forgot about looks and just focused on health.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

I've not noticed any obvious face lifts around here. Plenty of dyed hair though. That seems to start a lot earlier than age 55 from what I've seen.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
If the lineup at the festival is anything like Bonnaroo, I'm guessing most except Harley would skip it lol.
Not exactly the right demographic.
I meant lower populations of mosquitos!
Thanks Sarah. I signed up for the mailing list. You're right about the demographic, most places play Sinatra for background music down there. And the live music scene in the lower Gulf Coast is pretty weak. Okeechobee is only a couple hours away. You may have saved my winter, musically. And we don't have any mosquitos in March, although I don't know how it is inland.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We live in Windsor Hills, (The Woodlands) a 55 and over community of single family homes in Conroe, like you. We have no golf course and the homes are 15 years old and average between 1700 - 2900 square feet in size. The Woodlands is a township with 100,000 people in it. Did you look here?
We did look at Windsor Hills (EDIT - WRONG, we looked at Windsor Lakes). We loved the community, but we decided against it for a few reasons. Actually, I'd say it was more of a prolonged argument/discussion.
  • Few three car garages. I do woodturning and I really need that extra space.
  • Small lots.
  • Location. It didn't feel like it's in a town, more like a subdivision on the highway.
Please, it's beautiful there. I don't want to be negative about your community. My wife is still bringing it up from time to time (usually when the neighbor kids are outside screaming). I'm not ready for it yet, maybe 10 years from now.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote