Retirement: Day #1

Don't expect to be good at being retired right away; it took me years to properly fall back asleep after waking up after "sufficient" (7 hours) of sleep. Now I can go 8 or 9 with ease, but it took practice!

I was used to getting up at 5:AM but adjusted quickly to waking up when I was fully rested following ER. SO, staying up late wasn't an issue to me. YMMV

I'm actually getting up earlier than I did when I was working- especially Saturdays. I guess I was like that kid who has to be dragged out of bed for school but can get up at 4:30 am on Saturday to go fishing. Also I don't linger in bed anymore. Cause I have FUN stuff to do every day!

I love getting up early in the morning. Peaceful time to relax and enjoy my coffee!

You get ONE DEMERIT for knowing what time it is. You need only worry about what DAY it is...you know, for the trash. :)

Congrats!!!

+1 It's a great feeling.

I think most (not all) humans are diurnal and naturally inclined to rise with the dawn. Our blood pressure rises just before then, and our metaphors of health and youth and optimism are tied to sunrise. We see poorly at night, and our senses of hearing and smell are not really on a par with those of nocturnal mammals. HOWEVER, enough night owls in my life have convinced me there is a substantial minority out there who are most "alive" at night. I wonder if, back before gas and electric lighting, they were the shepherds and night criers and religious figures heading late night services - from pagan bonfires to matins.

I love the early morning, but regret I fall asleep during concerts and movies going beyond 9 pm.

Before retirement, I got up at 4:45 to go to my morning swim before taking the commuter train. For my first day, I set the alarm for the same 4:45 AM, did the same swim, drove to the train station, and while eating my bagel and coffee watched everyone ELSE get on the train. Congrats and enjoy your new found freedom!

I have a gadget that records how long I sleep each night and, over the last month, it’s averaged 7:50 hours. When I was w*rking, I recall sleeping 6-7 hours, or losing about 5 hours/ week total, then trying to catch up on Saturdays, which doesn’t really work biologically.

RE has to be healthier! 🧠

Before retirement, I got up at 4:45 to go to my morning swim before taking the commuter train. For my first day, I set the alarm for the same 4:45 AM, did the same swim, drove to the train station, and while eating my bagel and coffee watched everyone ELSE get on the train. Congrats and enjoy your new found freedom!

What a lovely first day you had!

We did the same - sat out on the tailgate of our pickup truck in front of our school with a cup of coffee and a doughnut and waved at everyone coming to school...and then when the bell rang and everyone was in their classrooms and the place was quiet, we left for a ride on the ferry and a great day in the city. It was wonderful - the fulfillment of a discussion we'd had for years and years! :)

Today was also my retirement day 1! I did the same as you Marco, about 40-45 minutes extra morning sleep time. No worrying about getting up on time , no rolling over to hit the alarm and dreading getting out of bed. My DW and I had a nice leisurely breakfast then went for a hike through the woods to the beach. A beautiful winter walk along the almost deserted beach.
Then we were to Home Depot to get a few things for a small project. So nice to shop when the store was almost empty. We started a conversation with a guy in the store and we just chatted for 1/2 hour, why not, we didn't have anywhere else to go. Retirement is incredible, we are so relaxed, I even drove the speed limit on the way home!

Don't you just LOVE this? The new pace, in my opinion, is one of the best things about retirement. :)

A couple of years after I retired (while still living in ATL), I too took the train downtown (during the AM rush) just to appreciate my station in life. I told myself that I should do that once a year as a reminder, but I couldn't really bother myself with it.

On occasion, I will look at the traffic cameras out around ATL and count my blessings in that I am not in that madness anymore. Of course with COVID, traffic has been a lot better.

Oh, and I do get up much earlier that I would have thought before retiring. I *always* enjoy the sunrise and it's a reminder that our days on this earth are numbered and it's a small "thank you" for the day I have been given. It doesn't hurt that where we live, the sunrises are absolutely breath taking.

Last edited:
I love getting up early! Making the coffee, enjoying it outside, maybe with the dog if she gets up. It’s so quiet and peaceful.

So happy for you friend. I'm 5 years and five days into mine, and it just keeps getting better.

Congrats!!! I am 55 and I took a sabbatical year in 2017 to test the waters. I may take another one next year! And if everything is good. Then transition into full retirement!

Congrats! What an exciting time for you.

I’ve been retired for 6 years and have loved every minute. I just got an email today from some former coworkers that started a new company and wanted me to join. The thought of w*rking again is a shock to the system. There is no way I have time to w*rk!

Wishing you a long and happy retirement.

Love hearing the day one stories!

There used to be a web site of them but I can’t find it any more.

Back
Top Bottom