Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Yes and in NH the total would only be the $16334. No state income tax.
Also no state sales tax. 6% in VT and 5.5% in Maine.
When your income is double that you double the savings (obviously).

Of course in retirement the advantage could be less as you most likely would have much lower taxable income and may have income sources that receive favorable treatment.

Thanks for running these number comparisons. So living in NH rather than Maine nets me a nice extra trip or cruise somewhere each year!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #22

Lived in MA since '88, retired in '17. DW still working until '22. Bought a 2nd house on a lake in south central NH last summer, very rural area, but only 30 mins from larger cities (Portsmouth and Concord). I also LOVE Vermont.

NH is definitely cheaper than MA. Taxes, utilities, groceries (by a bit) gas, etc. Our electric bills this summer at the lakehouse, running some window ACs, have been about the same as our MA house when we are basically never there!

Can't speak for VT, but many years ago I saw an interesting article on aggregate taxation by state. EVERY tax was considered, and much to my surprise, VT was the highest. Over NY, over CA. Never been able to find that article since.

I concur on the winter. They suck. Summer and fall (and spring, if we have one) are great. But we are long term trying to figure out a way to escape them. Having spent my childhood in SC, I will tell you that summers here are fantastic. We have central air in our primary home and maybe run it 2-3 weeks total out of the summer.

We have decided to sell out primary home in MA in '23. Whether we keep the lakehouse and live there remains to be seen. I am kind of on the fence..... but loving it now.

Good luck with your decision. I for one love New England .......... 8-9 months out of the year.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
NH/Vermont have great summer weather, but the winters are very long. Make sure you give that a lot of thought before you retire in a place like that. I'm in Michigan, and the summers are great here too, but as I got older, the winters became harder and harder to tolerate. So now we snowbird to the South for 5 months, which works for us. I would not want to spend the whole winter in Michigan anymore, but I don't want to spend summers in the deep South, either.

That is my initial thought. One thing for sure is I wouldnít tolerate summers in the south.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.

We lived in MA growing up in the 60's and 70's (and 80's) were you there in the infamous blizzard 0f '78? it was certainly interesting.

We moved to Ohio just months before the blizzard so we experienced the blizzard in Ohio our first winter here.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

We summer in VT at a remote cabin, and spend the winter in Asheville. It's a great way to live. Amazing summer weather and great community in VT, then a delicate taste of mild winter and lovely flowering spring in Asheville.

It's like having two different lives, the back and forth is a little tiring driving and leaving friends is hard, but worth it. Property taxes are steep in VT compared to Asheville.

Winter in VT would be too harsh for us.
anony mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quality of Healthcare should be top of the list for retirement.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Yes and in NH the total would only be the $16334. No state income tax.
Also no state sales tax. 6% in VT and 5.5% in Maine.
When your income is double that you double the savings (obviously).

Of course in retirement the advantage could be less as you most likely would have much lower taxable income and may have income sources that receive favorable treatment.
Not trying to make the case that ME taxes are better than NH's, but the difference between ME and NH, when adding in Real Estate taxes, is less than the example you set. The money has to come from somewhere, if not income and sales taxes, then real estate taxes.
VT healthcare
Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

VT healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Quality of Healthcare should be top of the list for retirement.
VT healthcare and insurance is quite good for us. UVM medical is a good local option and Bostonís hospitals are 3 hours away from us.

Also pre-medicare insurance is good with non-age based premiums (older customers arenít charged more) and there is still out of area coverage which helps us as snowbirds. Coverage is better and cheaper than if we insured ourselves in Utah (our winter home) but not sure about NH or Maine.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 Two teaching hospitals serve northern Vermont, UVM Medical Center to the west and Dartmouth-Hitchcock just over the border in NH to the east.

Vermont health insurance is priced similar to employer group health insurance coverage... not age rated... same price for everyone (other than catastrophic coverage)... also, no medical underwriting (even before ACA)... and costs is moderate... a bronze level policy is about $550/month.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Not trying to make the case that ME taxes are better than NH's, but the difference between ME and NH, when adding in Real Estate taxes, is less than the example you set. The money has to come from somewhere, if not income and sales taxes, then real estate taxes.

Yes that is the knock on Nh but I believe we still have one of the lower over all tax burdens. As I mentioned in post #11 we have been very lucky in my particular town because there are several lakes and ponds containing many summer homes which are assessed higher because of water frontage and thus reducing my tax burden and our town tax rate is very low by NH standards.

Interestingly Vermont came out very high(#3) as well as Maine(#4), both being higher than Massachusetts(#22).
NH was way down at number 45 but #1 in property tax as you said. The property tax varies wildly here. In retirement that could be an issue since the income tax could be way down and of course sales tax can be mostly controlled by consumption habits.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 Two teaching hospitals serve northern Vermont, UVM Medical Center to the west and Dartmouth-Hitchcock just over the border in NH to the east.

Vermont health insurance is priced similar to employer group health insurance coverage... not age rated... same price for everyone (other than catastrophic coverage)... also, no medical underwriting (even before ACA)... and costs is moderate... a bronze level policy is about $550/month.
I never had any experience with VT-unique health insurance. But my experience with the health care at the two medical centers cited above was outstanding during the 8 years I was in the Green Miuntain State.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Yes that is the knock on Nh but I believe we still have one of the lower over all tax burdens. As I mentioned in post #11 we have been very lucky in my particular town because there are several lakes and ponds containing many summer homes which are assessed higher because of water frontage and thus reducing my tax burden and our town tax rate is very low by NH standards.

Interestingly Vermont came out very high(#3) as well as Maine(#4), both being higher than Massachusetts(#22).
NH was way down at number 45 but #1 in property tax as you said. The property tax varies wildly here. In retirement that could be an issue since the income tax could be way down and of course sales tax can be mostly controlled by consumption habits.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
New Hampshire is a wonderful state. I've spent a lot of time there. It is beautiful and the mountains can't be beat. I do love Maine though, but not because of its taxes.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Vacationed last fall in NH. We've been there, and VT, many times on vacation. Mainly in the north and remote areas. Liked it! Different and very friendly folks.

This time we stayed in the southern area due to visiting friends. The traffic was horrendous in both states, throw in MA, and the area is very over populated. Really, much of the east is unlivable anymore in our minds. MA drivers are insane!!! Folks born and raised in NH and VT agree! It's a joke with them.

Again, just an impression... To each his/her own!

Never lived there and wouldn't consider it. Again, no insult meant, just an opinion.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
New Hampshire is a wonderful state. I've spent a lot of time there. It is beautiful and the mountains can't be beat. I do love Maine though, but not because of its taxes.

Yes. We love Maine as well. Spend most of our "vacations" there in the down east sections. Love the northern coastal areas Blue Hill, Deer Isle , Bar Harbor, Winter Harbor etc.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #35

Quote:
We have some friends who moved from Vermont to Maine and they say that Maine taxes are brutal.
It depends on what comprises that $100,000.

Since Maine doesn’t tax Social Security, $50k in SS income, instead of regular income, will cut the state tax bill quite a bit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB84E620-6A54-4682-A10B-2D34115016B3.jpg (204.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes. We love Maine as well. Spend most of our "vacations" there in the down east sections. Love the northern coastal areas Blue Hill, Deer Isle , Bar Harbor, Winter Harbor etc.
Wow! Wintah Habah. Not too many people have heard of it. Every time I mention it people ask if it's anywhere near Bar Harbor but don't know where WH is.

I was stationed at the (now defunct) Navy Base there from 1989-1992. Beautiful spot inside the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park. Wicked long winters, though. I returned for the formal ceremony in 2002 when the base was turned over to the Park Service.

My daughter, who is a novelist, wrote a book set in a fictional Down East fishing village that was based on her experience as a high schooler in that area.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Wow! Wintah Habah. Not too many people have heard of it. Every time I mention it people ask if it's anywhere near Bar Harbor but don't know where WH is.

I was stationed at the (now defunct) Navy Base there from 1989-1992. Beautiful spot inside the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park. Wicked long winters, though. I returned for the formal ceremony in 2002 when the base was turned over to the Park Service.

My daughter, who is a novelist, wrote a book set in a fictional Down East fishing village that was based on her experience as a high schooler in that area.

Yes we have camped at Schoodic Woods the last several years. Love the campus of the former Base. We hike in there a lot and love to sit up on schoodic point after a storm and watch the big waves breaking.
It's a beautiful area and much quieter than the touristy Bah Hahbah.
We didn't go this year because the National Park service closed the campground for the entire year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schoodic point waves resized.jpg (163.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #38

We wanted to live in Vermont (we are from upstate NY). We vacationed there for many years (23 to be exact). In fact we are in VT right now on Vacation. But having our SS and retirement income taxes and the sales tax made NH a better choice. Heck - even NY does not tax those things.

Also, VT is too liberal leaning for us politically.

On top of this. there are few communities anywhere in New England that have that 55 and over Florida type vibe. And near amenities we wanted (shopping, lakes, mountains, restaurants, entertainment, etc) and near some healthcare and close to the main highway and so forth. But not in an urban area either.

And we found a one and only in NH. It is not a 55+ but it is like one with a clubhouse and pool and low HOA fees. It is very unique for New England. Some people are full timers and some snowbirds. Golf carts driving around and so forth.

So we moved this past February to the Lakes region. We were able to get a brand new construction cottage (1100 square feet) for under $300,000. We thought that pretty good as housing in NH (and VT to a lesser degree) is expensive. Property taxes $4500. I can live with that tough still high for the small house we have. I think property taxes in VT are lower than in NH in most places.

PS In NY we lived in a wooded isolated area and for aging we did not want that. So farm in the new community we are in in NH we have met some friends and never feel lonely. Best decision we could have made.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually, Vermont exempts SS from state income taxes for lower income taxpayers. The exemption phases out between $45-55k for a single and $60-70k for MFJ. The exemption is probably of little worth for most people here but is valuable to Vermont's lower income taxpayers.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Actually, Vermont exempts SS from state income taxes for lower income taxpayers. The exemption phases out between $45-55k for a single and $60-70k for MFJ. The exemption is probably of little worth for most people here but is valuable to Vermont's lower income taxpayers.

Yes. I know. Key words- lower income. They made that change back in 2018 when the governor realized older people were leaving the state because of these taxes on SS.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote