Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is it really worth $15k standing between you and your perfect house? Now that you've demonstrated that you're willing to walk, might the seller be more agreeable?

Maybe the listing and selling agents might be willing to take a reduced commission to your benefit to help the transaction close... a half a loaf is better than none!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
A 15 thousand dollar roof on a 4000 sq-ft house sounds like a pretty cheap roof.
I agree, on both the above. We just paid $7700 for a new roof on our 1900 sq. ft. house. Some companies would have charged twice that. I wouldn't blink at paying $15K a bit down the road, if everything else is perfect. It might be possible to delay it longer than a year or two, if there are no leaks or many missing shingles.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 02:09 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
What's so bad is this is the perfect house for our family and furniture--4000 sq. ft. with triple car garage.

There are other houses on the market, but our area's really hopping business wise..
Aw!! I am so sorry that the deal is falling apart on the purchase of your perfect home. That's a pretty hard blow to take.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #63

Here's how it has worked recently in our neighborhood.

Buy the home, then your insurance company will send out an inspector who will immediately demand you replace the roof to keep your insurance coverage.

Then you can sue the Realtor/previous owner for the cost.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have a two houses in J'Ville Fl which we are renting out, one of which will become the retirement house when we move there from PA in 2 yrs and the other we will be sold. We have a management company overseeing the rentals and dealing with the renters. We have had both houses for about 5 yrs and the price has increased about 20% on each one. The houses are in the south side in Mandarin area about 30 mins to the beach.
eba1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
We see "old" friends probably now more than ever since they want to visit the new area too.

This is what I’m hoping will happen for us.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote