Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is a perfect example of "Correlation is not causation".
Oh yeah? Lemme read the OP's post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My mother in law came into town for our retirement party and she had a stomach bug. On Jan 26th I woke up running at both ends...

On Feb 6th I was bringing a heavy box of floor tiles down from the attic and tweaked something in my back. I laid the tiles a day or two after that and my back started killing me...
If the OP did not retire, he would not have that retirement party, and he would not catch MIL's bug. Then, if he were still working, he would not have time to fool around with that heavy box of floor tiles, and would have left it alone where it had been for decades, and his back would be fine.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Also, if he were still working, he could have afforded to pay somebody to lay the floor tiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Then, if he were still working, he would not have time to fool around with that heavy box of floor tiles, and would have left it alone where it had been for decades, and his back would be fine.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread definitely resonates with me. Been retired 1.5 years. At first I started jogging and got a nasty case of plantar fasciitis that took several weeks to heal. Started riding my bike instead. Problem solved. Then, I started doing manual labor around the house, such as building a retaining wall and cutting down several dead trees and splitting the wood. This resulted in 3 or 4 different occasions of severe back injury... in bed for a week each time. Both knees have a tendency to swell up as well with too much hard physical labor.

I've learned to pace myself better since those early days and I also hire out the more physical tasks. Still, with the combination of riding my bike, low-carb diet, reduced work stress, and increased physical activity, my overall health has improved dramatically since ER. My advice is: don't try to do too much early on. The sedentary lifestyle of a Megacorp workaholic does not prepare one for moving large stones or tree trunks.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

It isn't retirement that caused the problem, it was manual labor. Hire it out.

But I think Corporateburnout might be one to something.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #25

I had been retired a few months and had just turned 39. I was on a commonly prescribed drug for a minor condition . Had been talking it for about a week when one night I caught the golden bee-bee and went into anaphylactic shock. I remember standing in the parking lot of apartment building with my keys deciding if I wanted to risk driving to the ER or should I just call 911. I decided I could drive there as fast or faster than an ambulance could get to me so I drove. I just wasn't entirely convinced that could actually die at 39.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We can be more out of shape than we realize. Last Thanksgiving I decided it was time to return to kettlebell exercises that I used to do and enjoy. This was about 6 months post hip replacement, and I had been hill walking and indoor rowing regularly. So I figured I would start light, and low rep. I picked up a modest bell and did about 20 two handed swings. Waited a few days, no noticeable soreness or other issues. So I upped the bell weight modestly, and did 100 reps. This gave me back pain that hung around close to 2 months. I had never had back pain from kettlebells or almost any other weight lifting before.

The pain is gone now, but I am a bit nervous about trying again, though kettlebell swings are an awesome exercise .I figure I lost a lot more strength than I knew while on cane and crutches waiting for my operation. Even though I kept moving all this time, it was different in ways that I could not foresee

Many of us (definitely including me) kind of jump in and figure out the details later, but this can be hazardous!

Ha
Old 02-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

And it's not just older folks that get out of shape and suffer the consequences...at age 25, I was laid up for several days with terrible back pain from a day trip to a "gold panning" site (some gimmick where the water is "seeded" with gold flakes, and you pay to play at panning for a few hours - ending up with about as much gold as you'd get in a bottle of Goldwasser cordial). As a desk worker, I took daily walks to "stay in shape," but being so young, I'd never given a thought to core strength.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
We can be more out of shape than we realize. Last Thanksgiving I decided it was time to return to kettlebell exercises that I used to do and enjoy. This was about 6 months post hip replacement, and I had been hill walking and indoor rowing regularly. So I figured I would start light, and low rep. I picked up a modest bell and did about 20 two handed swings. Waited a few days, no noticeable soreness or other issues. So I upped the bell weight modestly, and did 100 reps. This gave me back pain that hung around close to 2 months. I had never had back pain from kettlebells or almost any other weight lifting before.

The pain is gone now, but I am a bit nervous about trying again, though kettlebell swings are an awesome exercise .I figure I lost a lot more strength than I knew while on cane and crutches waiting for my operation. Even though I kept moving all this time, it was different in ways that I could not foresee

Many of us (definitely including me) kind of jump in and figure out the details later, but this can be hazardous!

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #28
gone traveling

Yeah, on a serious note, some people retire and then suddenly become more active after years of sitting behind a desk. Common sense should tell them you don't suddenly jump into physical activity but then if common sense were indeed common (everyone had it), the term 'common sense' would have no reason to exist.
Sojourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked out everyday when I was at megacorp - I still do it after FIRED but I dread the ultimate having to slow down some day.

Working out and stretching regularly helps keep my joints and range of motion in tact. Diet is good to get straight too.
shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always kept my weight down as I was a rabid tennis player. Eventually enough injuries and fear of another surgery caused me to switch to golf. Long story short, less exercise, more aches and pains, especially in my left knee. The other day during the review of a doctors visit that indicated my blood sugar was too high I've made some drastic reductions in sugar, started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate again and I feel a ton better. Plus down about three pounds in the last month.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Stop bragging and keep working.

Work will set you free.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

For the overly ambitious, one can always partake in picking cotton.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
This thread definitely resonates with me. Been retired 1.5 years. At first I started jogging and got a nasty case of plantar fasciitis that took several weeks to heal. Started riding my bike instead. Problem solved. Then, I started doing manual labor around the house, such as building a retaining wall and cutting down several dead trees and splitting the wood. This resulted in 3 or 4 different occasions of severe back injury... in bed for a week each time. Both knees have a tendency to swell up as well with too much hard physical labor.

I've learned to pace myself better since those early days and I also hire out the more physical tasks. Still, with the combination of riding my bike, low-carb diet, reduced work stress, and increased physical activity, my overall health has improved dramatically since ER. My advice is: don't try to do too much early on. The sedentary lifestyle of a Megacorp workaholic does not prepare one for moving large stones or tree trunks.
I treated my plantar fasciitis by easing off running and taking up mountain biking. That got me a broken collar bone; I thought the continued pain was the titanium plate but that turned out to be "frozen shoulder;" which I'd never heard of. So now I hike, mountain bike slower, and use the gym. Seems to be working. Run now and then but really don't want the PF back.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm certainly having more neck and back pain but I was pretty lazy for the first year of retirement, but I had so many work injuries that I would never go back! The laziness I can take of, but the shoulder and hand problems from work will never be 100% back to normal.
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote