Retirement Relocation scouting

We visited Big Island a couple of times and decided we could not live there. It's a great visit and we loved the diversity of climate and natural wonders and beauty. It's also nice to have some space to just DRIVE. Still, we ended up on Oahu because it has virtually everything that you find on the mainland (in good and bad ways, of course.) Culturally, it's also more diverse on Oahu. No one is a majority so no one is a minority either. We seemed to fit right in.

I can't comment on the housing prices on Big Island although they were once considered quite affordable. Condo living isn't bad once you realize you really don't need too much "stuff" anymore. As always, I'd recommend you rent a place for 3 months or so to see if you will fit in and if you will still like it after a period of time. DW and I did a 6 week "trial run" but we'd visited Oahu enough times to be reasonably sure it's what we wanted.

Now that both DW and I have had a "health scare", I don't think I'd want to be on BI and need air-trans for most major procedures and many diagnostics. Having a heart attack on BI might be an expensive proposition (air ambulances are pricey and not sure what MC covers - you'll want to check out such things if BI is in your future.)

We've never gotten Island Fever (aka Rock Fever) probably because we travel to the mainland once year. Oahu is twice the size of the county we left behind and we only traveled outside that county half a dozen times a year.

I have to agree with Teacher Terry that most folks moving to Hawaii only last a few years. We (DW and I) are the only couple we know still here after 10 years. We've seen lots of folks come and go. Lots of reasons for the turn-over, I'm sure. Culture shock, prices, rock fever, distance to family, w*rk opportunities, weather-boredom, etc.) Our yearly "fix" of mainland living seems to re-energise us and convince us we made the right decision. By the way, the excellent tax benefits afforded to Islanders is only if you live here at least 6 months per year.

Other than renting, I can't think of any advice. Hope your stay helped you gel your ideas, yea or nay. Remember, YMMV.

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomoresnow
Has anyone retired to (or at least visited), the Athens GA or Aiken SC areas ? I have repeatedly ready very good things about both these locations

Have not personally lived in either of this cities but, have friends who have and loved them both. I heartily recommend that part of the country (Southeast); there’s a lot of geographic variety, it’s inexpensive, mild 4-season climate, and more diversity (cultural, political, etc.) than you might expect if you’re in a university town. Other locations you might want to check out are: Knoxville, TN; Nashville, TN; Greenville, SC; Asheville, NC.

I listed only ‘inland’ places but, there are also lots of great locations on/near the ocean in that area, if that appeals.
We moved to Hoschton, GA 2 years ago, couldn't wait to get out of California. We love going to Athens - half hour or so away, lots going on, good restaurants, shopping, great college town. I love how rural it is here. 10 to 15 min drive to grocery, a little further to nicer restaurants. Atlanta is getting to be a nightmare - traffic, crime, always a crap shoot driving to the airport. And it gets pretty hot and muggy. But North and South Carolina are just 2 hours drive, Tennessee and Alabama have lots going on and there's always Florida. Love living where we can drive to places.

Back
Top Bottom