Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #41

Some really fun toys! At this point, I'm looking forward to some good sleep.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just not worrying about work was my gift. Spent a lot in a HCOL area pre-retirement, so nothing to buy right now. Just vacations.....lol
Old 03-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Attachment 27991
Here’s our retirement gift to ourselves.
Nice Jeep! Too bad that clown with the motor home photo bombed you, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I set aside money to buy a brand SUV when I retired, but it was not intended to be a treat - - this was part of my financial planning, to protect me in the event of a bad sequence of returns after retiring. I just didn't want to have to come up with the money to buy a new car unexpectedly so I saved the money that I would have spent for it previously, and put it aside for that purpose, outside my portfolio. I bought it about 2 months after I retired.

As a treat for myself, just a day or two after retiring I bought 3 pairs of long black pants like I used to wear all the time at work. Dumb idea!!! I don't wear that kind of clothes any more at all. I didn't realize that I would wear different clothes in retirement than when working. But it was fun at the time.
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My treat was a new tractor. Have used it quite a bit so far in retirement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170718_112158.jpg (842.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not retired yet, but looking at June 1st. I probably won't splurge immediately cause I'm worried about sequence of returns with the market so high. Maybe wait a year just to feel things are gonna be alright. Our 25 anniversary is May 2020 so we're looking for a nice trip then. Maybe an Alaska cruise or couple weeks in Hawaii.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Spending our first winter in southern Utah so my wife and I bought our first mtn bikes so We could learn how to ride the trails.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
So far, I have treated myself to being able to fly a B-25, a MiG-15, and an SNJ. For my 80th birthday in May, I am going to treat myself to flying a P-51
Very cool!
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Celebrated retirement with brand new 2018 BMW 740i xDrive. Joy was short lived as found out two months later that I had to put twin boys in Private School - 132K hit over four years. Wife and daughter walked in public high school and what they saw was too bad that decision was made there itself. Mr. Market has behaved well so far so I shall be ok with this unexpected expense.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamuxen View Post
My treat was a new tractor. Have used it quite a bit so far in retirement.
Nice! Is that a Kabota? I have one like this, minus the front loader, at my country home that needs a massive tune up. Can't wait to be not working so I can play with it, clear my woodland path wider, and longer, expand the garden beds, composting, lots of uses for a tractor in the country.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Each year in retirement we treat ourselves to something we truly don't need e.g. cruise on the Nile, cruise on the Yangtze, cruise on the Volga and Neva rivers, new Kubota tractor, 30' boat, new Sierra Denali, and this year a 1962 VW crew-cab pickup (that is kicking my butt restoring). Life is short and at 71 it's looking shorter. Might as well enjoy it while we can
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #51
Confused about dryer sheets

Wow! I would love to see some pictures of that VW! I love those things!
HBD2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
Nice! Is that a Kabota? I have one like this, minus the front loader, at my country home that needs a massive tune up. Can't wait to be not working so I can play with it, clear my woodland path wider, and longer, expand the garden beds, composting, lots of uses for a tractor in the country.
Yes, it is a Kubota L3301. Yes, a lot of uses. Now i won't have to depend on someone to plow my driveway or remove dead deer that get hit out at the end of my driveway,lol. Among many of other uses.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

My plan was to buy a new (used) car when I retired 2 years ago but it took me until last month to find one that checked all the boxes:

Acura.jpg
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

One month East Africa vacation- Back a couple of weeks ago. Private trek to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro. ( I made it to the summit but I would't suggest anyone pay such a high price to trek), Safari including a gorilla trek and relaxing in Zanzibar.

Mini treats such as sashimi and sushi.
silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #55

In the realm of something realistic, I'd like to buy a nice lens for the SLR. But I can't come to grips at this point in pre-retirement to spending likely close to $1000 on one. I try to take out the SLR on trips and events around town but I'm hoping I'll have more time in retirement to focus on taking more pictures and improvement my photography skills to justify the purchase.

One potential vacation goal/treat for retirement is doing a back to back to back cruise: last sailing in Europe, Transatlantic, first sailing in the Caribbean. We can't justify a transatlantic cruise, let alone a back to back cruise with our limited vacation time during our worklife.

In the realm of impractical, I'd like to buy a Porsche even though it's kind of cliche and some season tix to one of the local sports teams.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Some woodworking tools, some camera stuff, an IMac and a MacBook.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #57

I ordered a new baroque flute two years ago. Contacted the maker and he says that he "might" get to a batch this spring or summer. So, I guess whether or not I've bought myself a retirement treat is still in the Heisenberg zone, undetermined.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

(UK poster....) I have a company supplied car just now which will go back after I retire at the end of April, so I'll have to buy my own.. I'm trying to be economical.... honest.....
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Four years after retiring I bought the convertable summer car that I had always admired.

Could not do it any earlier until we moved and had an attached double garage.

Other than that it has been travel, travel, travel.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
(UK poster....) I have a company supplied car just now which will go back after I retire at the end of April, so I'll have to buy my own.. I'm trying to be economical.... honest.....
I should add that me and DW (both retiring on the same day) have a retirement trip to New York booked. We've been to the USA before (Florida, West Coast, LV) but this will be our first trip to the big apple. We've got Broadway tickets for Hamilton and Beautiful. Excited or what!
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote