Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
A tiny new Airstream travel trailer to visit the state and national parks, eliciting comments like, "What's that? Can you actually sleep in that thing?"

Very cool!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #102

Well it was going to be a Tesla Model 3 but I think we have decided to put it off until all of the kids have their own cars. I hate it when they bump into things or things bump into them. Much more painful with a new car.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:49 AM   #103

We decided to consolidate to one car since there was no more commuting, but instead of just keeping one of the older ones we sold them both and bought new.

Recently I have been acquiring a nice series of glass photography filters.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MSRP is $40k!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #105

Quote:
A tiny new Airstream travel trailer to visit the state and national parks, eliciting comments like, "What's that? Can you actually sleep in that thing?"
What? It doesn't have two slide-outs, a full-sized refrigerator, a king-size bed, two recliners and three HDTVs? Of course you can't sleep in that!

Actually, that thing looks way cool. Not our parents' Airstream.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I want one!

What is the vehicle pulling it? Are you satisfied with the combo?
Wow! Lots of interest! It's being towed by a Toyota Highlander, 6 cylinder. It tows well.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
What? It doesn't have two slide-outs, a full-sized refrigerator, a king-size bed, two recliners and three HDTVs? Of course you can't sleep in that!
Ha, ha! Yes, it's more like sportsman camping vs true glamping.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Way cool! We either have or have on order passes for national, California State and a regional parks this year. We just have a tent, but maybe we will upgrade eventually.
Camping is new to us this year, so this has been a great adventure. The 2 of us and an adventurous orange tabby cat have campsites at Lake Tahoe, Pfeiffer Big Sur, Morro Bay, Folsom lake, and Yosemite. I finally see what I have been missing (and what our taxpayer dollars have been funding) all these years.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
It looks like a modern day chariot, but with a roof (and pulled by mechanical horses)!!
So funny! That description is spot on!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Our treat was to spend 2 years in San Francisco after DW retired. It bumped up our initial WR but it was worth it. Now we are back to an area with a much more reasonable cost of living.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Camping is new to us this year, so this has been a great adventure. The 2 of us and an adventurous orange tabby cat have campsites at Lake Tahoe, Pfeiffer Big Sur, Morro Bay, Folsom lake, and Yosemite. I finally see what I have been missing (and what our taxpayer dollars have been funding) all these years.

Sounds like a blast. Those are all lovely places. Enjoy! We used to belong to an outdoor co-op through UCSF and go car or river camping at least once a month but got out of the habit after we had kids. Their sports and school activities kept us busy. I bought an instant tent so now we have no excuse to give it a try again and if it works out we can upgrade to your kind of set up.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Wow! Lots of interest! It's being towed by a Toyota Highlander, 6 cylinder. It tows well.
Which model Airstream did you get?
My wife and I are talking of getting a small travel trailer for camping, etc in a few years. Would love to find something that can be towed with an SUV instead of sinking money into a diesel 2500/250.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #113

retirement treat

well since i was previously a bit of a workaholic i somehow forgot to have a mid-life crisis .

i came to this realization in January 2017 ( after the government decided i should stop working ) but before the medical procedure ( in February 2017 ) some i WAS looking for a cutie , but then via an Australian forum a fellow contributor alerted me to the fact my medical issue was a nasty variant of the Widow-maker

https://myheart.net/articles/the-widowmaker/

so ... being still single i am now looking for a cutie who looks good in black

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Which model Airstream did you get?
It's called the Basecamp, about 2,500 lbs dry weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calaveras Big tree.jpg (756.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
...but then via an Australian forum a fellow contributor alerted me to the fact my medical issue was a nasty variant of the Widow-maker

https://myheart.net/articles/the-widowmaker/

so ... being still single i am now looking for a cutie who looks good in black
Oh, you can be a bit more optimistic that that! That's the same one I narrowly missed having but I got myself to the doc before it happened. (Shortness of breath was the cue.) The LAD was 90% blocked and now I have two stents installed. That was four years ago and so far I'm doing fine.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #116

no 'attack' with mine ( unless it was in 1985 !!! ) went in for a check-up after 25 years avoiding doctors

and one bad test lead to another , what took them so long was the irregular heartbeat , non-typical ECG readouts and the echo-cardiogram showed the obvious muscle damage , the initial technician sent me straight back to the GP , the GP referred me to the cardiologist and things just escalated .

in my case the absorb-able stent is an extra issue the device was recalled from use two weeks after the implant and now they have version IV my LVEF dropped below 20% ( dropping at 5% a month then ) before the procedure

no the LVEF is 'much better' between 30% and 40% , but of course the muscle damage is still there

another factor was i had lung problems from birth , so just got used to pacing myself

the lung function tests came back at 50% , that did not please the GP either

but happy to hear all worked out well for you

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #117

Quote:

Wow, very nice
Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 48 and will call it quit summer 2019. I just ordered a 2019 Porsche Targa 4GTS and should be here in August. I also ordered a brand new Parker 2320 salt water fishing boat and should be here next week. Yes I will pay cash for these two items that I saved for over 8 years. I also bought my DW a new F150 Lariat with all options including maxtow package.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Tell us more about you chariot! I have considered a class B camper
van, or something like you tow along. The Airstream is waaay cool. I'd be traveling light, like you, with one small pet and maybe one other adult from time to time.

Any toilet inside in case of emergency? Or is this purely for sleeping?

This plus a new Jeep Wrangler, or SUV and I'd be set to hit the National Parks and places along the way.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Mrs PD and me have just returned home (Scotland, UK) from our retirement trip to New York. What a city! We crammed such a lot in, from Liberty and Ellis islands, 9/11 memorial, Empire State Building, Central Park, the David Bowie exhibition at the Brooklyn museum and list, lots more. Even took the subway out to Brighton Beach and Coney Island. We attended the Broadway productions of Hamilton and Beautiful. Not to mention - Mrs PD’s favourites - shopping at Tiffany’s and Macy’s.

We can’t wait to go back sometime next year.
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote