Retirement treat for yourself?

i bought this retirement gift a couple weeks before retirement. 2 days after i for rretired, i left fla for Canada where this pic was taken. Three weeks later and i was home. I camped every night but one...and bought a trailer in Canada too.

Nice Concours ! I have an 08 Connie.

We just bought a new RV, a retirement treat for the wife and I!

New Martin D41 Custom Shop dreadnaught.. named her Frances after an old friend.

Attachments

• 20171217_152702.jpg
    20171217_152702.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 108
Going on a photographic tour of Patagonia this year.

Interesting. For me it wasn't something I purchased. I could buy lots of stuff while I was still w*rking. What I never had enough of was TIME to do the things I wanted to do!

Once I retired (technically, one day BEFORE I officially retired) I left on a three-month trip to do the Down East Loop on my boat.

So I guess I'm just saying that not all of us retired with enough excess funds for new toys. But even with my old toys, retirement is still better than w*rking!

I set aside money to buy a brand SUV when I retired, but it was not intended to be a treat - - this was part of my financial planning, to protect me in the event of a bad sequence of returns after retiring. I just didn't want to have to come up with the money to buy a new car unexpectedly so I saved the money that I would have spent for it previously, and put it aside for that purpose, outside my portfolio. I bought it about 2 months after I retired.

As a treat for myself, just a day or two after retiring I bought 3 pairs of long black pants like I used to wear all the time at work. Dumb idea!!! I don't wear that kind of clothes any more at all. I didn't realize that I would wear different clothes in retirement than when working. But it was fun at the time.

About a year before retirement, we replaced both cars. And we booked a lovely top class trip to Hawaii for the month after my last day.

Come to think of it, I did not make any big purchase when I shifted to full retirement from part-time work 6 years ago.

Reasons: 1) I was rewarding myself along the way, and felt no need to splurge. 2) Shortly after full retirement, I was diagnosed with an illness that could cut short my life. After they fixed me up, being alive was a good enough reward that nothing else could compare. So, no desire to splurge either, although when I was still in danger I thought I would be blowing money by the buckets to celebrate when I got out of the hospital.

DH bought himself a new bicycle and accessories. He took his time picking out what he wanted. He really enjoys it!

In 2014 we drove from Ohio to Hilton Head, SC. We put our luggage and a cooler in the back seat and his bike fit in the trunk. He loved being able to bike all over the Hilton Head area.

A music studio, new photo and video equipment, new bikes, new TVs, and new computers.

Attachments

• P1210427.jpg
    P1210427.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 108
  • P1210428.jpg
    P1210428.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 111
  • P1210429.jpg
    P1210429.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 113
I built a third bay garage addition for my woodworking shop. Finished the basement into a mighty nice bar/home theater area and also went on a three week trip to Italy.

Some really fun toys! At this point, I'm looking forward to some good sleep.

Just not worrying about work was my gift. Spent a lot in a HCOL area pre-retirement, so nothing to buy right now. Just vacations.....lol

View attachment 27991
Here’s our retirement gift to ourselves.
Nice Jeep! Too bad that clown with the motor home photo bombed you, eh?

I set aside money to buy a brand SUV when I retired, but it was not intended to be a treat - - this was part of my financial planning, to protect me in the event of a bad sequence of returns after retiring. I just didn't want to have to come up with the money to buy a new car unexpectedly so I saved the money that I would have spent for it previously, and put it aside for that purpose, outside my portfolio. I bought it about 2 months after I retired.

As a treat for myself, just a day or two after retiring I bought 3 pairs of long black pants like I used to wear all the time at work. Dumb idea!!! I don't wear that kind of clothes any more at all. I didn't realize that I would wear different clothes in retirement than when working. But it was fun at the time.

My treat was a new tractor. Have used it quite a bit so far in retirement.

Attachments

• 20170718_112158.jpg
    20170718_112158.jpg
    842 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I'm not retired yet, but looking at June 1st. I probably won't splurge immediately cause I'm worried about sequence of returns with the market so high. Maybe wait a year just to feel things are gonna be alright. Our 25 anniversary is May 2020 so we're looking for a nice trip then. Maybe an Alaska cruise or couple weeks in Hawaii.

Spending our first winter in southern Utah so my wife and I bought our first mtn bikes so We could learn how to ride the trails.

Celebrated retirement with brand new 2018 BMW 740i xDrive. Joy was short lived as found out two months later that I had to put twin boys in Private School - 132K hit over four years. Wife and daughter walked in public high school and what they saw was too bad that decision was made there itself. Mr. Market has behaved well so far so I shall be ok with this unexpected expense.

My treat was a new tractor. Have used it quite a bit so far in retirement.

Nice! Is that a Kabota? I have one like this, minus the front loader, at my country home that needs a massive tune up. Can't wait to be not working so I can play with it, clear my woodland path wider, and longer, expand the garden beds, composting, lots of uses for a tractor in the country. :dance::dance::dance:

Each year in retirement we treat ourselves to something we truly don't need e.g. cruise on the Nile, cruise on the Yangtze, cruise on the Volga and Neva rivers, new Kubota tractor, 30' boat, new Sierra Denali, and this year a 1962 VW crew-cab pickup (that is kicking my butt restoring). Life is short and at 71 it's looking shorter. Might as well enjoy it while we can ;)

Back
Top Bottom