Retirement treat for yourself?

I love bike riding and as a FIRE reward bought a new brand new, super light carbon fiber road bike (a Cervelo R3 for the aficionados). It is friggin' awesome!!

We bought a brand new 29 foot sail/race boat 3 years after I retired. The best boat we ever owned IMO. We just sold it in Jan and got 80% of our $ back, so we’re happy, got our money’s worth for 4 years. But I knew from experience which sailboats (unlike powerboats), well maintained, can bring a big chunk back in resale - or I wouldn’t have sunk the money in to begin with. After 5 boats, I think we’re done with that very expensive pastime. I can sail on OPB all I want now. :D

I got back into golf again, way, way less expensive...

Grew up racing with DF on a 26' MacGregor. Sailed that little thing all over with his fam. Some very fond memories in the boat, during shore lunch, and at night trying to get my first peck at the family bonfires. Oh, the trophy ceremonies were always awesome, especially when dad snagged #1. He won a lot. Apostle, Superior, Mille Lacs, Leech Lake, Door Co, Mackinac ...very fond memories in that boat. Its pretty banged up but we did manage to sail it up and down the St. Croix river last summer.

top of the line Durace. I am more of a campy guy but have to admit the Durace is very nice.

top of the line Durace. I am more of a campy guy but have to admit the Durace is very nice.
:confused: I’m guessing Dura-Ace and Campagnolo as in bicycles?

I didn't buy anything out of the ordinary for myself on stopping work, and eventually retiring. As Audrey says, being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want is the very best gift!

About 3 or 4 years before stopping work, I sold my 3 rental houses. The majority of the proceeds went in the bank, but I did go a bit hog wild on my new (at the time) hobby of photography. It was back in the days when the transition to digital was really picking up steam. Over the course of the next year or so, I spent around $15K on a camera, lenses and all sorts of lighting gear. It was a bit overkill, but fun. I have since sold much of that gear, trimming it down to just a few pieces of equipment - the ones I use the most frequently.

By contrast, my purchases since retiring have been very modest by comparison. There may be a time as SS gets closer, when I'll splurge a little again. I have not traveled at all in the last 10 years, and it would be good to get out and about a bit more before my body starts making that difficult, if it does.

my "splurge" was woodworking equipment. So after 2 1/2 years I still have all of my digits and a ton of saw dust and a few nice projects finished.

We've put off our planned 2018 departure (from work), but we have bought the retirement "toys".

Stock images from Google, but identical. Boat is for me, camper is for DW. We decided to start enjoying our retirement "gifts" early.

Attachments

• FilePhotoSR270_2000_resized.jpg
    FilePhotoSR270_2000_resized.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 92
  • stock_image_w_slides.jpg
    stock_image_w_slides.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 94

I built up my own custom road bike using an ARCALIS ARC-01 carbon fiber frame and Shimano Dura-ace groupset including Dura-ace wheels. I didn't buy the electronic shifting. I also have two aluminum frame bikes with Ultegra and 105 groupsets. I don't find too much difference between Ultegra and Dura-ace but some difference in shifting between the two and 105 groupsets. My wife and I bike a lot and keep bikes at all our residences. It's a good way to stay in shape.

Last edited:
my "splurge" was woodworking equipment. So after 2 1/2 years I still have all of my digits and a ton of saw dust and a few nice projects finished.

My first splurge in retirement was a garage addition dedicated for my workshop. 100% my space, no cars allowed. :D

Motorcycle trip up to Maine and back. Next is the garage/workshop I should have done a decade ago. I can't say it's any fun wading thru the planning/design committees..

I've been retired several years now and have rewarded myself multiple times now with "treats & toys" in that time. Trips / one vehicle / toys.

My newest treat that I purchased just recently I think is going to be one of my favorites, though. I don't post here much, but felt compelled to tell everybody about this as I think many people could find this very useful.

I've been intrigued by the desktop CPU based virtual reality headsets and where technology is going with them, so a year or so ago, when I needed to replace my desktop with a new unit, I decided to go with a top of the line unit with fast processor, lotsa RAM, big graphics card, etc., with the idea of getting a VR headset once they developed them a little further.

Along toward the end of last year a few things were released / upgraded about the same time: Windows 10 had the fall creator's update that added windows mixed reality, Google released Google Earth VR with StreetView and Samsung released it's VR headset called HMD Odyssey designed to work with windows mixed reality.

So, I just bought one a week ago and this thing is GREAT! I haven't really checked many other VR apps out with it yet as I've been having such a great time with Google Earth! There's a bit of a learning curve getting used to the controls, but after a few hours in it I was pretty familiar with everything. You can basically go anywhere on the globe (either by searching or "VR flying") and then drop down into street view (anywhere a Google camera has been) and walk around and check things out with a full 360 degree view as if you are actually there. Really amazing stuff!

Wife and I are planning to move to Colorado in a few years, so I have been using it to scout areas where we might like to live eventually. I'm also going to use this to scout locations for future trips and vacations to prioritize time for things we want to see.

Sorry to carry on about this, but in my excitement I can see so many useful applications for this in the future. It's amazing how all this technology is developing!

I built two electric bikes, repurposing frames we already owned. New small travel trailer is awesome. Note, no tow vehicle change, we are minimalists when it comes to vehicle expenses.

A tiny new Airstream travel trailer to visit the state and national parks, eliciting comments like, "What's that? Can you actually sleep in that thing?"

Attachments

• DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 111
A tiny new Airstream travel trailer to visit the state and national parks, eliciting comments like, "What's that? Can you actually sleep in that thing?"

I want one!

What is the vehicle pulling it? Are you satisfied with the combo?

I've looked at that (Airstream Basecamp) on their website and it looks just awesome. May you have many great adventures with it!

Way cool! We either have or have on order passes for national, California State and a regional parks this year. We just have a tent, but maybe we will upgrade eventually.

Way cool! We either have or have on order passes for national, California State and a regional parks this year.

I was one of the smart ones and got the $10 lifetime Senior Pass for our national parks some years ago when I qualified for it. Great deal, and it has saved a bunch of money over the years.

Alas, I set it down on the console of my new car and at the first use of the brakes it slid into the nether regions. Many efforts to retrieve it went for naught, and I finally determined that only by completely disassembling the console would I be able to get at it

Went to the dealer with my sad story and learned that it would be at least a couple hundred bucks to do that, so I gave up and shelled out $80 for a new pass. I'm still way ahead of the game, so it's not really a problem, but please be careful of that national park pass!

I was one of the smart ones and got the $10 lifetime Senior Pass for our national parks some years ago when I qualified for it. Great deal, and it has saved a bunch of money over the years.

Alas, I set it down on the console of my new car and at the first use of the brakes it slid into the nether regions. Many efforts to retrieve it went for naught, and I finally determined that only by completely disassembling the console would I be able to get at it

Went to the dealer with my sad story and learned that it would be at least a couple hundred bucks to do that, so I gave up and shelled out $80 for a new pass. I'm still way ahead of the game, so it's not really a problem, but please be careful of that national park pass!

Ouch.

I got the $10 pass 11 years ago and have been able to hang on to it, but know the fickle finger of fate can make it disappear, just like yours did. For insurance, I got DW one just before the price jumped to $80 so we have a spare.

Bummer about your $10 pass. We weren't old enough in time to get that, but we were still pretty excited about the $80 for a lifetime pass. Yosemite's car entrance fee is $35 for one day.

It looks like a modern day chariot, but with a roof (and pulled by mechanical horses)!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom