Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retiring in 2-5 years? Buy Now Or Wait?
Old 06-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
gone traveling

So I am due to retire in no more than 5 years and will almost certainly be living in a new home (current home is too big) and almost certainly out of state.

And I'm curious how people handled the transition and why?

1) Did you just wait it out until a few months before the change?
2) Or did you pre-emptively buy before hand?
3) Did you live in the area first and then buy?

I have the cash to buy another home now. My reasoning is that home prices will probably greatly exceed inflation so why wait?
KingOfTheCheapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We bought a lakefront seasonal camp in 2015 close to the summer home where I grew up. We used it on weekends at first, then ended up living there in the summer (I worked remotely). In late 2010 we demolished and rebuilt a year-round home, moving in in May 2011. We sold our main home in November 2011 and I retired in early 2012.

Now in our case it was only 1/2 hour drive from our main home so it was pretty easy.

We later started spending winters in Florida and bought a condo down there and became Florida residents in 2020 making the winter condo our home and keeping the other property for summers.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You were the guy that started the thread "I have no idea where to retire!" https://www.early-retirement.org/for...re-109409.html, with a huge variety of places to consider. So a month ago you had no idea, but now you want to lock in to a place but probably not move for a few years? That's just crazy. Are you for real, or are you just enjoying telling wild stories?

I also notice that in that 8 page thread, you only had two posts, both on page 1, then went silent. Hmmm. I'm mildly entertained, but not enough to spend any more time on a serious response.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
You were the guy that started the thread "I have no idea where to retire!" https://www.early-retirement.org/for...re-109409.html, with a huge variety of places to consider. So a month ago you had no idea, but now you want to lock in to a place but probably not move for a few years? That's just crazy. Are you for real, or are you just enjoying telling wild stories?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but your suggestion of me telling wild stories is condescending and insulting and says more about you than me. If you don't like a post then just ignore it.

But if you check my posting history you'll see in the last month I have visited: FL, AL, GA, LA, TN, NC and I've narrowed it down for sure and can pull the trigger if needed.
KingOfTheCheapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
... My reasoning is that home prices will probably greatly exceed inflation so why wait?
Not sure that is true. In the big picture, home price increases cannot greatly exceed household income growth. Housing costs are never going to crowd out eating. So do you expect household income to "greatly exceed inflation" over the long term?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
Administrator

Let’s please remember we’re among friends, so let’s keep it friendly,
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but your suggestion of me telling wild stories is condescending and insulting and says more about you than me. If you don't like a post then just ignore it.

But if you check my posting history you'll see in the last month I have visited: FL, AL, GA, LA, TN, NC and I've narrowed it down for sure and can pull the trigger if needed.
OK. Narrowing down a place a month after you had absolutely no idea and locking into it and not expecting that to change after 2-5 years sounds like a bad idea to me. Really bad.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So I am due to retire in no more than 5 years and will almost certainly be living in a new home (current home is too big) and almost certainly out of state.

And I'm curious how people handled the transition and why?

1) Did you just wait it out until a few months before the change?
2) Or did you pre-emptively buy before hand?
3) Did you live in the area first and then buy?

I have the cash to buy another home now. My reasoning is that home prices will probably greatly exceed inflation so why wait?
I was already retired at time of our last home move. We planned our dream home and had it built. About a 45 minute drive from where we lived. Once it was built and had received the county's "certificate of occupancy", it took us a good nine months to "gradually" move. Every trip to the new home we would take a few boxes of "stuff". We finally got to the point where we could spend time and stay at either home. Part of the slo-mo process was youngest daughter was finishing out her senior year at high school, so we wanted her to be able to graduate from her old school. Anyway, we would spend weekdays at old home and weekends at new home. For a good long while it was like going on vacation every weekend. Even after a full two years of finally being in the new home fulltime, it was still like being on vacation! Anyway, at the time, the real estate market was just coming out of being a buyers market, so we held on to the old house for two years after fully moving before selling it.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #9

Most folks don't do the whole big move until after they actually retire. Desires change. It's best to retire, chill for 6 months or so, and then decide.

No one can guess what the RE or any other market will do in 5 years.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought a lot in the town we met, about eight years before retiring. Being sent around the country by the Army, over fifteen years, gave us some perspective on where we wanted to retire. A bit more privacy would be nice, now that we've been here for a few years, but other than that we're happy. Definitely staying put for now.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #11

If you bought now, what would you do with the 2nd house now? Vacation home/snowbird and/or become a landlord?

Another option is to hold at least part of your cash in equities to fight “inflation”, then buy and move when you actually retire. Your retired self may be very different, with different needs. Also you’ll have more bandwidth to deal with 2 homes and/or moving when retired.

It took us 5 years to figure out that we wanted to move 2000 miles away after retiring. It’s taking almost 2 more years to execute the plan. We never would have had the time or energy to do this while w*rking, even from home.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:

Yes i figured you just needed a lot of help with decision-making. Might as well use the resources to assist you during your 6 week posting history...
Old 06-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

OK, here's a thought experiment: How would YOU ("KingOfTheCheapos") respond to a thread with this title:

"I am 14 and plan to get my driver's license in 2-5 years, after I turn 16. Buy a car now, or wait?"

I think that will give you some idea as to my answer to your question.

Basically, I think you are jumping the gun. It takes a year or so to adjust to retirement, know where you want to retire, and know what kind of house you'll want in retirement. Most of us find our priorities shift a bit when we retire.

So, my response is just be patient, work on your retirement planning to make sure you are financially set, and wait until at least a year after you retire before you make decisions like this.
Quote:
1) Did you just wait it out until a few months before the change? No, a few years after. Put the house on the market about 18 months after retirement, decided not to move a few months after that.
2) Or did you pre-emptively buy before hand? Thank heavens, no.
3) Did you live in the area first and then buy?Well, that was the plan, had we ever moved to Missouri. Instead, I ended up buying a nicer house here, where we already were living, 6 years after retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

I also notice that in that 8 page thread, you only had two posts, both on page 1, then went silent. Hmmm. I'm mildly entertained, but not enough to spend any more time on a serious response.

I noticed that also. Besides, who hasn’t heard we’re in another housing bubble that will pop within 5 years. You’re probably at it’s peak right now.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:42 PM   #15

I think along the same lines as those who advise to wait. My brother and his wife retired about 5 years ago. They stayed in the same house they had owned and lived in for something like 40 years. Just a few months ago, they sold that house and bought another one, which will be their final retirement house. It is in a quieter and more rural setting than the previous house. They love it. It is exactly where they want to be.

Selling and buying houses are fairly big decisions. Ideally, you want to make sure are doing the right thing for you. Is there any compelling reason why you shouldn't stay in the same house once you retire, even if it is a little too big? If not, stay where you are. Then retire, and take your time deciding what you want do next, so you are sure it is what you really want to do. Only you can decide what you want, and these decisions can take time.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #16

A lot can happen in 2-5 years. I think a person can’t tell until after they make the transition to ER and look back how much of their detailed planning proved real and how much was a coping fantasy crutch to get through a career and to ER.

We were going to rent out our house and travel full time for a year. We didn’t do because of COVID and now that idea is like, “Meh, we’ll travel here and there when we want to.”

With so many variables and permutations possible 2-5 years out, especially if two people are involved, I’d never want a hunk of optional real estate to turn out to have been my fantasy coping crutch.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #17

I am planning a move to eastern Tennessee next year and just sold my home. It sold for 40% more than it would have before covid!! I intend to rent for the next 2 years(one of those years in Tennessee) before committing to a purchase. I would recommend renting for a year first, as the cost of buying and not liking the area is too high for me.

VW
Old 06-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I am planning a move to eastern Tennessee next year and just sold my home. It sold for 40% more than it would have before covid!! I intend to rent for the next 2 years(one of those years in Tennessee) before committing to a purchase. I would recommend renting for a year first, as the cost of buying and not liking the area is too high for me.

VW

We moved to East Tennessee last year. Really enjoy it. Not a lot of inventory right now.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
We moved to East Tennessee last year. Really enjoy it. Not a lot of inventory right now.
We're looking at the Tellico Village area. How has everything gone with the move for you?

Any tips appreciated!!

VW
Old 06-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

In my opinion 2-5 years out is way too early to commit to a retirement home now.

So many things could change in the interim-

One of you could suffer a medical event leaving you wheelchair bound or struggling to walk and suddenly that multilevel home you bought isn’t going to work.

Your parents, or grown children, or grandchildren could have an unexpected change in life circumstances and need to come live with you for the long term.

(Btw all these things have happened to my friends)

So I would wait until my retirement is imminent and then start looking for something at that time. It could be worthwhile to begin further investigation into exact locals, neighborhoods, builders, but I wouldn’t pull the trigger at this time.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote