Would not consider it 5 7.58%
No Kid - sorry 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Retiring with kids highschool age or under
Old 05-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords,

Check your PMs please. Warning: it is a long one!!!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got enough money saved up, and I've been contemplating FIREing for about 3 years now, but I still can't pull the plug. I've got 7 and 10 year old boys, and one of the main reasons for wanting to FIRE was to be able to spend more time with them. However, since they are still going to be in public school for about 10 more years my wife can't figure out what I'll do with myself while they are in school.

I own my own business, and it would be kind of hard to sell, so instead of quitting I hired another good manager and cut back on my hours. I don't work any more Saturdays, and I try to get out out of the office most days by around 4-5pm so we can all spend some time together. I'm also taking much more time off in the Summer (1 month) than I used to so we can travel around as a family. I think I'll do it like this for another 5 years or so and then attempt to FIRE for good by then.

I'm 42 now, so I'm not old, but I'm also not getting any younger either.............

Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Great topic! Very helpful comments from everyone. I am 42, boy 10 & girl 6. I had been planning to FIRE at 55 when daughter graduated high school. Seemed like a clean break, could ensure that I had college expenses paid for, and we could begin the next phase of our life. etc. This is my first post and this board has really open my mind to the possibilities.

Current projections shows FI at 50. New thinking has me attending ALL of my sons college games and enjoying time with my daughter during her high school years as the "only child".

My wife retired 2 years ago and I am afforded lots of freedom at work to participate in their lives. We feel very blessed for the balance we currently enjoy, but this forum has me reconsidering timelines.
kid8605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Great topic! Very helpful comments from everyone. I am 42, boy 10 & girl 6. I had been planning to FIRE at 55 when daughter graduated high school. Seemed like a clean break,
This is exactly what I am planning to do also, but I am only two years away. I am now nearly 53 and will FIRE at 55 when my daughter finishes High School. We are living / working overseas and I don't want to put her through major trauma in the middle of high school if I don't have to (moving back to the USA, new school, new friends, etc.).
I have a younger child (11), who will still be in middle school when we move back home and FIRE. This is a great topic and it is enlightening to hear of all of the positive experiences that people have had retiring with school age kids.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am 50 with (nearly) 11 year old twins I expect my DH, who will be 60 this year, will retire in 4 years and I hope to FIRE in 5 years when they are still in high school. We hope that our home becomes the place where they and their friends congregate (keep the food coming, stay out of sight). But being around is critical for this to occur.

In the past, we had considered home schooling to best meet their needs (fast learners, often bored in class) and there are activities they would like to do but couldn't take these option becuase of w*rk. At the same time, Florida has a good virtual high school, so if we wanted to get really flexible, that is an option.

Finally, for college, we have prepaid tution plan for a state school and targeted savings for living expenses and school-related fees. There are also state merit scholarships based on grades and extra activities, which they know they are expected to earn.

So, hopefully the plans will go as planned.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote