Returning to work after two and half months...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well went to the surgeon on Tuesday and he's happy with my progress; I've got his 'ok to return to work' letter attached to the refrigerator. I had the TKR on 11/19 and I feel pretty good - still another 4 weeks of PT very early in the morning. Going to ask for Friday's from home for a while.

The Mrs takes pleasure in reminding me that I've taken to having an afternoon nap on the couch or in the recliner and I'm going to be tired working a full day. I remind her PT can be quite stressful (picture yourself lying belly down on a table with your legs dangling off with a 10lb weight attached to you affected leg) at the end of eight minutes I at my limit. Yeah there's more torture but my point is you'd take a nap too after being worked over.

July is the 'pull the trigger any time I want date' I'll be 62. I wasn't happy with the roughly $1,700 a month health insurance tab but I've learned if I minimize my withdrawals from the taxable accounts I can lessen my MAGI and get Uncle Sam to supplement the cost.

The question: is it easier to go to work when you don't have to or is it harder?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Definitely easier.... and more fun. My attitude changed and became what I would describe as diplomatically irreverent. I found that I could feel free to say what everyone was thinking but were afraid to say politically... like 'Boss, this acquisition that you are so hot about is a bad idea because..." and co-workers appreciated it... as did the boss (eventually).

Easier, and more fun. Then again, I only work 2 days a week.

The psychological advantage seems to be, that I am no longer seen as competition or oversight, and thus people are simply glad to have me around to help.

I'm careful to get up often for short walks (sitting steadily at the desk can be bad) and I take a nap when I get home.

Good luck!

The question: is it easier to go to work when you don't have to or is it harder?
I used to wonder this for a long time. A couple years ago I was capable of RE but was not at the point where I felt comfortable doing it. That did not help much. Now that I am even more FI and a year away from RE I find that there is still some of both but on balance easier. I have less concern about the long term implications of events.

Definitely easier to go to work, but it might be a bit harder to push through the tough times and do a good job when you know you don't really need to be "killing" yourself.

I had a year and a half of no work at all and just recently took a bit of contracting work because I had an unexpected $10k expense and wanted to build up my cash fund again without selling in a down market. I'm also volunteering at the local astronomical observatory and helping with some research projects. There's no pay, but the coffee conversation is great.

Last edited:

Definitely easier. You develop a whole different attitude when you have your DPMO* hat. One guy I worked with even ordered a baseball hat with that on the front.:LOL:

* Don't P*ss Me Off

Definitely easier.... and more fun. My attitude changed and became what I would describe as diplomatically irreverent. I found that I could feel free to say what everyone was thinking but were afraid to say politically... like 'Boss, this acquisition that you are so hot about is a bad idea because..." and co-workers appreciated it... as did the boss (eventually).

I did that when I "had" to work, or at least thought I did, and the Boss (1 of 2 owners) decided I should be included in the next round of layoffs.
He was an idiot that did odd stuff , like buy a used toilet for the washroom to save $50. Which is silly considering they made about 2-3M profit ea year.

Back
Top Bottom