Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
It seems like self driving cars might create a new model of live at home but commute to senior center for social/health/meals.... extending in home living.
I am only 68 and fairly open to new ideas, but not the self driving car. I would imagine that quite a few other seniors would refuse to use one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I bet we could come up with quite a few examples of machine/computers that provide robotic functions today. I can also see meal preparation adapted with the available frozen dinners and microwaves. Just need a conveyor from freezer to microwave on a timer or app. How about voice activated systems for anything electronic including operating plumbing systems.
I think much is or can be done already although with individual systems that could be designed for each individuals needs and added to when future needs arise.

Cheers!
One specific plumbing thing is the sink where you stick your hands under the faucet and it turns on (seen a lot on freeway rest areas) avoiding contact with anything at all to use wash your hands.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
I am only 68 and fairly open to new ideas, but not the self driving car. I would imagine that quite a few other seniors would refuse to use one.
For many people with diminishing capacity to drive cars themselves, the self-driving car will be very popular. My parents drove long past the age when it was safe for them to do so, and while they are finally resigned to not driving they are clearly feeling constrained to always need to ask for rides or taxis. When I was recovering from surgery, I couldn't drive, but still got around with Taxi, Uber and friends. I missed my independence and would have been delighted to have a self-driving car as an option.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A lot of folks said they'd never get on one of them newfangled flying machines, either [grin]
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Or bother with that fad, the internet.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Too bad there will be no more working people left to pay the taxes to support the robotic care. Seriously -- I'm not against automating what can and should be automated, but we have to factor in the social costs of unemployment and underemployment.
From all my worldly experience, there are plenty of folks out there the would be happy to not work if we would just provide them a small income...
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
It seems like self driving cars might create a new model of live at home but commute to senior center for social/health/meals.... extending in home living.
So who is going to gas the thing up? I haven't seen a full service gas station in more than a few years.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Just because somebody can't drive well any more, doesn't mean they can't manage a doggone gas pump! If they can't, well, there will need to be a companion in that there self-driving car.

Actually I am wondering why old people wouldn't just call taxis when they need them, same as they do now. Self-driving cars are unlikely to be cheap to buy and own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
So who is going to gas the thing up? I haven't seen a full service gas station in more than a few years.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think if you saw an autopilot fly an airplane that might change your mind. I got a front-seat ride on a twin-engine Beech Baron (a VERY nice airplane, and expensive even by airplane standards) that had an autopilot slaved to a GPS navigational system. The day was very windy with a lot of turbulence that would bounce even that Baron around quite a bit.

This was flying in PA, over a rather mountainous region, and for fun we were clearing some mountaintops by maybe 100 feet. (Yeah, pilots often have a strange sense of what is fun.)

The autopilot made that thing fly like it was on rails, making course and altitude corrections in a fraction of the time that any human could possibly have done. It made a believer out of me. I realize that driving a car is much more difficult than flying an airplane because the environment is much more complex and quickly variable.

I'd be open to having a self-driving car. Especially if that was the only option to getting around.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
When I was recovering from surgery, I couldn't drive, but still got around with Taxi, Uber and friends. I missed my independence and would have been delighted to have a self-driving car as an option.
You are braver than I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
A lot of folks said they'd never get on one of them newfangled flying machines, either [grin]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Or bother with that fad, the internet.
My paternal grandparents never owned an automobile, or learned to drive. So hey, I can refuse to ride one of them newfangled robot cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think if you saw an autopilot fly an airplane that might change your mind.
It might, although I am thinking there are probably a lot fewer airplanes to avoid in the sky, than cars on the street. A few years of reliable statistics might help, too. Actually my concerns are mostly practical, involving staying in one piece instead of ending up all mushed into a big red puddle on the pavement. I have worked too hard and have survived too many physical dangers, to experience such a dumb end to my life.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think if you saw an autopilot fly an airplane that might change your mind. I got a front-seat ride on a twin-engine Beech Baron (a VERY nice airplane, and expensive even by airplane standards) that had an autopilot slaved to a GPS navigational system. The day was very windy with a lot of turbulence that would bounce even that Baron around quite a bit.

This was flying in PA, over a rather mountainous region, and for fun we were clearing some mountaintops by maybe 100 feet. (Yeah, pilots often have a strange sense of what is fun.)

The autopilot made that thing fly like it was on rails, making course and altitude corrections in a fraction of the time that any human could possibly have done. It made a believer out of me. I realize that driving a car is much more difficult than flying an airplane because the environment is much more complex and quickly variable.

I'd be open to having a self-driving car. Especially if that was the only option to getting around.
I thought, "What!", but then I saw your avatar....
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Electric self-driving car. Just plug it in out there in the garage. Well, if you are brave enough to even get in the thing!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Most gas stations provide if you toot the horn in a pattern and are disabled they will fill the gas for you this is required by the ADA
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I thought, "What!", but then I saw your avatar....
I took the picture ~35 years ago but my former flight instructor (and a good friend) was flying the Taylorcraft. And yes he's just past the top of a loop.

Side story about that photo. I gave him an 8x10 print and he'd hung it on the wall in his house, but visitors kept insisting that the photo was upside down. But if you do that the lighting is "wrong" because the sunlight is coming from the bottom of the airplane. The dead giveaway is the rudder is in shade and the bottom of the wings are in direct sunlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom's plane-1.jpg (45.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Self-driving cars are unlikely to be cheap to buy and own.
One of the factors in favor of self-driving cars is that there is no need to own one. Just call for one when you need it and it delivers itself. Thus you need pay for only that part of the depreciation and maintenance associated with your own use, a tiny fraction of the cost of operating a solely owned car.

I think this technology alone will keep people in their own homes far longer than was previously the case.
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

After seeing some sensors work on a newer vehicle, I think it will be real. And I'd use it as soon as legal, there's places where people sleep behind the wheel today. I've seen them!

I know today my sister would benefit. She can legally drive but due to glaucoma in one eye she limits where she does.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #37

Quote:
You will not find a self-serve station in my state because it's against the law to pump your own.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk Anga View Post
One of the factors in favor of self-driving cars is that there is no need to own one. Just call for one when you need it and it delivers itself. Thus you need pay for only that part of the depreciation and maintenance associated with your own use, a tiny fraction of the cost of operating a solely owned car.

I think this technology alone will keep people in their own homes far longer than was previously the case.
And you wouldn't have to worry about gassing it up! Then again, there are quite a few on this forum who are going to have so much money by the time they reach geezer status that owning such a car would not be a problem.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
There are wireless parking pad chargers being introduced today for electrics. Autopilot would only have to park in the right place. 😂

Sent from my XT1030 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Most gas stations provide if you toot the horn in a pattern and are disabled they will fill the gas for you this is required by the ADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
You will not find a self-serve station in my state because it's against the law to pump your own.
I sure am glad the Government is looking out for us mere mortals. I don't know what we would do without them.