Join Early Retirement Today

Robotic vacuums
Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Robotic vacuums

On Prime Day I bought my first robotic vacuum after reading about them for years. I was a bit skeptical that it would be more than a gimmick but now that I’ve had one for about a week I have to say my quality of life has increased dramatically.

My vacuum is connected to Alexa so each morning I just say “Alexa start the vacuum” and it zips around the house from room to room, bouncing around randomly and sucking up all of the loose dust and dirt in the house. I bought a lower end model so it doesn’t have the sophisticated mapping features of the more expensive models, but it really gets the job done. It meanders in and out of the closets and bathroom, travels under the sofa, the beds, and the furniture where normal vacuums can’t reach and then wanders back to its base when it’s done and recharges itself.

Every few days I empty the dust bin and that’s about the only effort involved. And it really picks up a lot of dust and dirt and keeps the floors looking spotless.

Has anyone else tried on of these?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Robotic vaccums
Old 10-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Robotic vaccums

I really enjoy ours. We recently upgraded to a more advanced model and the mapping features are really nice!

I probably never would have justified purchasing one but we got one free from a friend a couple years ago and fell in love.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
On Prime Day I bought my first robotic vacuum after reading about them for years. I was a bit skeptical that it would be more than a gimmick but now that I’ve had one for about a week I have to say my quality of life has increased dramatically.
Would you mind sharing which unit you purchased?
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Would you mind sharing which unit you purchased?
I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was on sale for $200 for Prime Days. I’m guessing they will have another similar sale for Black Friday.

I went with a Eufy vacuum because they are manufactured by Anker. I’ve purchased many products from Anker and their customer service is the best I’ve experienced with any product. They have been willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy and they are really responsive to any issues with their products. The Roomba products are also very good.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was on sale for $200 for Prime Days. I’m guessing they will have another similar sale for Black Friday.

I went with a Eufy vacuum because they are manufactured by Anker. I’ve purchased many products from Anker and their customer service is the best I’ve experienced with any product. They have been willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy and they are really responsive to any issues with their products. The Roomba products are also very good.
Thank you very much!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #6

Many have additional Amazon coupons on them right now.

This thread just cost me $200 in that I had no thought of ever considering this at all, and now I just bought one!

This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C7KJGD

It had a $50 coupon on it and at 4000pa had stronger suction than most others. It also had very good reviews. I then purchased the water tank and replacement accessories on manufacturers website as they were much better priced than Amazon.

We have a "country home" the entryways are always messy, and the dust really builds up around the house before I break out the vacuum - especially under our bed. If this robot can roam around periodically and take care of those, I'll be very happy. Anything more and I'll be ecstatic.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Many have additional Amazon coupons on them right now.

This thread just cost me $200 in that I had no thought of ever considering this at all, and now I just bought one!

This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C7KJGD

It had a $50 coupon on it and at 4000pa had stronger suction than most others. It also had very good reviews. I then purchased the water tank and replacement accessories on manufacturers website as they were much better priced than Amazon.

We have a "country home" the entryways are always messy, and the dust really builds up around the house before I break out the vacuum - especially under our bed. If this robot can roam around periodically and take care of those, I'll be very happy. Anything more and I'll be ecstatic.
That looks like a great unit! Let us know how it works out. I might purchase a second one for the first floor.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I boubht the same Eufy to replace an aging Roomba that was very old and on its last very noisy legs. Word of warning. After I ordered it from Amazon, I found it cheaper at Walmart.

I replaced my carpets in many rooms with wood flooring almost a decade ago. It still has its gloss for the most part. I attribute that to the Roomba which made it easy to clean off the dust and grit that normally accumulates on a daily basis. The Eufy should continue to do that well. Also, the Eufy is much quieter than my Roomba was even when new.

As a side benefit, when my grand kid was two years old she spent many happy hours playing with the Roomba, making it change directions and outrunning it. The child did learn very quickly not to let it vacuum the toes.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

I have always wanted to get one as we have 2 cats, one of whom sheds a lot. I've been concerned how it handles hardwood floors. Is there a chance it would scratch them? They cost us a fortune to install. Does the vacuum easily move from hardwood floors to the area rugs?
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #10

I bought a Roomba as a Christmas present for my wife about 5 years ago. I know what some of you are thinking but that is what she wanted. Really. I thought, "Great! She will be able to run it every day if she wants and not have to vacuum ever again". Actually I used the vacuum more than she did but the Roomba makes her happy. I notice she only runs it about once a week since our floors are either tile or wood. We also run air cleaners so there isn't much dirt or dust to accumulate anyway. I think they are great for us. I don't know how well they would work on carpet but it would seem to me that it would challenge the efficacy of the vacuum.

Now she has a cleaning service come in once a month. Go figure. That is nice but it causes me more work to put things away before they get here. Not sure what the answer is anymore.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I have always wanted to get one as we have 2 cats, one of whom sheds a lot. I've been concerned how it handles hardwood floors. Is there a chance it would scratch them? They cost us a fortune to install. Does the vacuum easily move from hardwood floors to the area rugs?
We have hardwood floors in most of our house and the vacuum is very gentle on them. Because the wood is dark, dust is very visible on them. The vacuum sucks up a major amount of dust every day from the wood floors and keeps them spotless. I never plan to manually vacuum the house again for the rest of my life.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

How many of you have a robo-vacuum with some smarts in it (like with room mapping capabilities and avoiding certain areas, etc)? Mine was a dumb one that went places randomly, and it got too annoying for me after a while as it vacuumed some places over and over but didn't vacuum some areas, and had to be rescued as it wanted to go to places it couldn't handle.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
We have hardwood floors in most of our house and the vacuum is very gentle on them. Because the wood is dark, dust is very visible on them. The vacuum sucks up a major amount of dust every day from the wood floors and keeps them spotless. I never plan to manually vacuum the house again for the rest of my life.
Thank you.

A couple of other questions come to mind:

1. we have alpalca rugs bedside. Will the vacuum try to eat the fibers? Should we simply put the rugs away when running the vacuum?

2. I'm assuming unless the vacuum is small enough it won't vacuum under dining chairs or similar?
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I had a Roomba 15 years or so ago. By the time I'd pick up cat toys, shoes, a fringe rug, cords, and anything else that might be on the floor, plus set up the barriers to keep it from falling down the stairs, I might as well have vacuumed it up myself. Plus the battery capacity went down quickly. I'm sure that's less of a problem now, but I just do it myself now. I get mildly tempted to try again when threads like this come up, but so far I've resisted.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I would love to have one of those but we have several Oriental carpets with fringes. If I could program the vacuum to not vacuum those fringes they would have a happy customer.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
... She will be able to run it every day if she wants and not have to vacuum ever again". Actually I used the vacuum more than she did but the Roomba makes her happy. I notice she only runs it about once a week since our floors are either tile or wood. ...
How did you convince her to any cleaning tasks? The cleaning tasks are mine, be it vacuum the floor, rubbing the shower, bathtub, wash the cars etc...
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #17

Question: does it mar or scratch door trim, furniture legs etc? I have a fear of a scrape line uniformly 4 inches off the ground on everything on my home. And hiw dies it handle transitions over rugs?
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I would love to have one of those but we have several Oriental carpets with fringes. If I could program the vacuum to not vacuum those fringes they would have a happy customer.
Yes, they are very smart now. I just bought a Roborock S6, it has mapping capability and also mopping function. After it mapped out our home (with the first run), we can setup 'no go zone' and/or 'no mop zone' - It is smart enough that if I insert the water tank and mopping pad, it knows that I am going to want it to vacuum and mop, then it will not go to the 'no mop zone'. It also has something call virtual wall, meaning you draw a line in the map and it will see the line as a wall and bounce back.

Very nice toy.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Question: does it mar or scratch door trim, furniture legs etc? I have a fear of a scrape line uniformly 4 inches off the ground on everything on my home. And hiw dies it handle transitions over rugs?
It's much more gentle on furniture, doors, etc. than I am when I bang the vacuum into them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Word of warning. After I ordered it from Amazon, I found it cheaper at Walmart.
Thanks for that - I checked Walmart.com and sure enough manufacturer was selling direct there and price was $20 cheaper than the Amazon price even after the $50 coupon. I was able to cancel my Amazon order and re-place with Walmart.com.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote