Join Early Retirement Today

RV vs travel trailer
Old 05-18-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

RV vs travel trailer

Newbie… initial thoughts is travel trailer makes most sense unless living in all year round. Any advise?
QMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 04:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We looked at that last year and decided to buy a travel trailer rather than an Class C RV.

When buying a travel trailer we had to stay within what the GMC Canyon that we already owned could tow (7,000# towing capacity). DW found a 2018 Rockwood MiniLite 2507S that we bought in a private sale and I think we got a good deal on it.

I leaned to the travel trailer because we could use the truck to tour around once we arrived at our destinaton and unhooked.

I considered a Class C but if didn't want to tow a toad or unhook from water, power and sewer anytime we wanted to go somewhere.

Also, if we have trouble with the truck then we still have a place to stay or if we have trouble with the travel trailer then we still have transportation.

YMMV, but that is what we decided.

P.S. Initially I was skeptical about the murphy bed, but it has worked out great. It takes a minute to pull down at night when we want to go to bed and a minute to put up in the morning after breakfast and we have much more room in the unit during the day. The bonus was that we have a really nice outdoor kitchen with fridge and 2-burner stove in that configuration.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are several philosophies that come into play. Some people like the idea of a passenger getting up and using the restroom on the roll, making a sammich, grabbing a beverage.
I personally don't go for that as I know that unexpected things happen.
However, you can pull over and do all those things without going outside in the weather, and that is a big RV plus.
My roommate has a 2016 Forest River FR3 32' Class A. He flat tows a Subaru Outback of a similar vintage.
He has briefly driven my 2007 Ram diesel with 6 speed manual and our 28' 5th wheel trailer. I just asked him about the relative driving experience.
The noise levels and driving fatigue of the Class A is much higher. His Subaru is more handy when you get where you are going for exploring, but my truck is a short bed so it is not terribly awkward either.
I will be a trailer guy for the near future, and I do acknowledge that part of it is my total comfort when backing, anywhere. Backing a trailer up is a skill that anyone can learn, but many do take for granted and have some bad times.
Travel trailer(TT) VS 5th wheel.
That one is simple, you can have a canopy on your truck for day tripping etc. when you have a TT.
The 5th wheel renders the bed useless above the rails and in the hitch area. Sure, you can unhook and even remove the hitch but that is a lot of dinking around on the road.
I always leave it in and load things around it, like bikes etc. when we get where we are going.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #4

I am also staying with 5th wheels for now, due to the inherent stability of the tow location, being slightly ahead of the rear axle. I have driven in winds that had semi trucks and cars blowing all over the highway, and i was calmly steering with one hand on the top of the wheel. The trailer cannot impart a steering force on the truck in the same manner as a conventional TT.
The 5th wheel requires more room to back into tight spots, because that steering action is absent. You have to toss the truck around and need more room to the sides for your front end, where a TT can get started turning with just the twitch of the wheel, and then stay in a relatively narrow path.
The 5th wheel can flip a u-turn like no other. I can turn a U-turn in many city streets if no one is street parked. Each has it's advantages.

Here is a boondocking spot on SR410, 6 miles from the summit and Mount Rainier National Park. Both rigs are there, and I was able to U-turn down there in the gravel without any backing.

https://goo.gl/maps/CogWkekfog2LgbeW7
Old 05-18-2022, 06:20 PM   #5

There are many classes and styles of RVs to fit all kinds of people and their travel desires.

If you have a tow vehicle that can tow your desired trailer then a trailer is probably your best choice vs a motorhome. Trailer will be a lot less money.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Firstly, the term RV refers to all categories, not simply to motorhomes. Meaning that it encompasses Class A, B, and C motorhomes as well all varieties of towable trailers. So you are really asking about motorhomes vs towable travel trailers I believe. In which case, the answer is very much YMMV.

Every category of RV will have pros and cons, there really is no perfect RV. It all comes down to the tradeoffs you are willing to make. Here are a few to consider:

- Interior living space
- Interior storage
- Outside storage
- Tow vehicle or no?
- Maintenance
- Gas milage impact
- Ease of driving or towing
- Ease of set up and breakdown
- Maneuverability
- Storage expenses when not in use
- Purchase cost

A suggestion would be to rent a variety of RV's to begin to get a sense of what your RV priorities are. It's very hard to know these in the abstract, but they should quickly develop as you get a handle on all the differences each RV category delivers.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We put 215,000 miles on a Class B (Roadtrek) RV in 12 years. Our last trip was in September 2019 because of the Pandemic.

The big advantage I found with that size is it can go anywhere a car can... well, except height -- no parking structures or drive-thrus.

Ours had everything a big RV has -- shower, refrigerator/freeze, queen bed, generator, propane, etc.

The Class B RV is limited in space, however, and if there are two of you, it can be a strain for some.

Anyway, bottom line is: it doesn't matter what you buy the important thing is the adventure. We visited every state and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In order of ownership, we've had pop-up trailers (3), a class C, a travel trailer, a 40 ft diesel pusher motor home, and 5th wheels (2) during my RVing lifetime - which spanned more than 45 years. All had their pluses and minuses. I second the suggestion to rent and try out at least a couple of options before you invest some serious cash into something you find you don't really like.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #9

In warmer weather, pop ups are really neat. We had great times with an old unit I paid $900 for, and had to stitch up a time or two and make a couple of repairs on. Dollar for dollar it won the contest.
It was our first foray off the ground and also having a toilet you did not have to make a run for first thing in the morning
The thing that kicked it out of the fleet was a foreclosure sale beach lot, that had to have a fully self contained rig. We went from a tent trailer and SUV to diesel truck and 5th wheel in one move.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - You might want to look into where will you store the RV/Trailer when you are not using it.
Where we live, we are not allowed to store it on our property, so unless we buy a popup trailer that can go in the garage, we have to rent a spot miles away for $100/mo and hope they have good enough security.
Sort of killed the RV idea for us.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm the owner of a fifth wheel, and it stays in storage at a member owned campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains NE of Atlanta. When I want to go camping, I call the campground and they move it on a site for me. With 4 slides & 2 bedrooms, we're spoiled.

Class A or Class C motorhomes are better suited to travel in. Fifth wheels or travel trailers are best used to go to a location and stay awhile--like winter in Florida. If someone wants to travel with a travel trailer, it needs to be relatively small and light--like one of the Casitas or fiberglass unit like an Oliver. I also like teardrops or pop ups to travel in.

With the current (and possibly future) cost of fuel, we have no intentions to travel from place to place. If we chose to stay close, we have 4-5 state parks and a number of campgrounds within 90 minutes of home on lakes.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:58 AM   #12

We also have a few years of camping experience... basically our entire lives. Bought our 1st Popup in 1985. Bought a 5th wheel to park and have lived in it the past 4 years, sold our house. We just changed from a Hybrid we bought in 5015, to a toy hauler. We have been going back and forth over the MH vs TH 2 years. We average 40-60 nights a year camping, and several long trips each year...
With that said, What is your camping experience, and plans? Are you looking for going some place for a few days? a week+ traveling to different places. You want RV park type campground, Or BLM areas boondocking. We eventually want to travel the country, staying a month at a time as camp hosts, (FREE) and explore... then find our next spot.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:25 AM   #13

I've had a couple trailers before I retired but these were permanently parked on property we owned. Then when I retired I knew we would be traveling all summer seeing our country so we bought a 39' Newell diesel pusher, then decided to sell the house and go full-time. We traded that for a 45' Newell diesel. After a few years even though we loved the lifestyle we sold it and bought a house to be near family. Bought a 26' LazyDaze class C, kept it for a month thinking we'd use it for an Alaska trip. After a month trip decided it wouldn't work for that (300 mile range would be pushing it) so sold it and bought a 36' Foretravel. That worked great for Alaska then in 2020 with the pandemic in full swing and campgrounds being difficult to book we bought a lot in Colorado. Enjoyed it so much we sold the FT and bought a cabin. Now we have a Roadtrek class B for traveling and short camping trips.
This has happened in the 11 years since I've retired. Lot of changes but then our travel style has changed. Each RV has been a high quality used unit and depreciation was very minimal. Best advice I can offer is to realize that your travel plans will change.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents traveled full time for 20 years. They always had a Class A towing a small 4WD SUV so they could explore. Once they settled down in an RV park they sold the Class A and bought a 5th wheel. They never owned a vehicle capable of towing the 5th wheel - the dealer delivered it to the park. So I agree that a motorhome if you're on the move and a 5th wheel if you sit in one place. Having said that, if you already have a tow vehicle a small travel trailer is your cheapest option to get your feet wet and see if you like camping. A lot of people find they don't.

Personally, my wife and I like to move around a lot and spend all our time doing outdoor activities so we value ease of driving, ease of parking, and stealth so we have a Class B on order.
punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:55 AM   #15

I toyed with the idea of some kind of RV/trailer for a number of years since my backpacking days are past but I only have a 4-cylinder Hyundai Sant Fe so it would have to be something really small to tow. That would not be my first choice since I never had luck with backing up a trailer. Since my only experience with an RV was traveling in my converted VW bus in the 70s I thought a Sprinter would be nice but the price was a bit higher than what I would consider.
Oh well. I had many decades of camping. Can't complain. I wish you luck and great experiences with whatever you choose.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There's a trend for many people, especially young people, to buy a European style high top van and convert it into campers. There are postings all over the internet showing how they configured their vehicles. These types of vehicles get fair fuel mileage, and they're easy to travel in.

Most vans are bought used, and the owners don't necessarily have to invest too much $. After a year or two, they can sell the vans and settle down.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #17

We have a Type C motorhome and did not consider any other type of RV because I did not want to deal with hitching/unhitching/backing up (and I'm the driver). I was familiar with this as we had a pop-up when I was growing up. Friends of ours started with a trailer but switched to a 5th wheel last year because even though it is larger inside it is much easier (for them) to hitch/unhitch/back up. So YMMV. If possible, go to some RV shows to get familiar with the different types, and then rent some of your first choices before you commit.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've been surprised from people posting at the expense of campgrounds, for RV's it's not like I remembered from the old days with a car and tent.
Now it costs as much as a cheap hotel, and once you add in the extra gas due to 10 miles per gallon, it's not much different than simply driving farther per day and staying in a hotel.

If you can park in the wild, for free, then an RV makes economic sense.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #19

We are boondocker's welcome hosts. I can stay for free at thousands of locations across the US and Canada, in the security of somebody's yard. We have hosted 20 families on their travels.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:47 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Start with how you plan to use the RV/camper. Figure that out, then go to one of the many RV forums and you'll get better answers. Then attend several RV shows to see what all is out there. We spent over a year shopping around and ended up with a small travel trailer, and are happy with it.